Laxman ready for the challenge

Rohan495

HYDERABAD: Hyderabad’s V.V.S. Laxman, tipped as a leading contender to take over as Test captain, said that he was ready for the tough job. The captain is likely to be named — for both the Pakistan series and the Australian tour — half-way through the one-day series against Pakistan at home. “Playing for your country is itself a great privilege and to lead the national team a bigger honour. Captaincy is nothing new to me. I have led my State and South Zone besides India ‘A’ for quite some time now. “In fact, I was the vice-captain on the last South African tour and led in a practice game on that trip. So, if given the opportunity, I am ready for the big challenge,†said Laxman talking to the The Hindu. On his county stint, Laxman said it was competitive cricket with a huge difference. “I enjoyed every bit of it and wish I had played more of county cricket. Essentially, it helped me stay focussed on the game. The management is happy with my showing — two centuries and two fifties in the five four-day games and also an average of 80-plus in the pro-40 over games,†said Laxman. Talking about his special showing against Australia, Laxman said, “I have always been fascinated watching them play and also about their grounds. Somehow, I get a special feeling which lifts my game when I play against them. Beating Australia in a Test series on their soil is the biggest achievement for any cricketer. And we are hoping to do that this time around since the nucleus of both the teams is more or less the same as in 2003-04.†Laxman for now is focussed on the immediate challenge of doing well against Pakistan. “It is important to come up with big scores ahead of such an important Australian tour,†he said. “No personal targets but I hope to play match-winning knocks.†On the recent on-field aggression he said, “These Australians will come at you strongly on the field. If you don’t counter that, you are crushed. The Indians have shown a lot of this on the last tour also. The only difference now is there is more media focus this time around,†he said.

:hysterical::hysterical: Where does he manage to get all this news about Laxman ? dont see it on crapinfo , nither on any other sports portal. Is he making it all up ? :haha: Just reading some of the questions and answers, On captaincy - Playing for your country is itself a great privilege,to lead the national team a bigger honour,led my State and South Zone besides India ‘A’ County cricket - I enjoyed every bit of it,The management is happy with my showing,two centuries and two fifties in the five four-day games and also an average of 80-plus in the pro-40 over games Its almost hard to believe it was a spontaneous interview. Either the questions were given to laxman a couple of days before or he himself prepared the questions and answers ! :haha:

any posts related to laxman results in negative feedback. gotta love it
Doing a control systems course in ur under-grad is it ? :haha: Great , atleast you know something. Seriously Rohan , dont you realize that almost all of India has given up on Laxman and you are the sole soul supporting him ?

Playing the ball here and not the man, there's a very good point made. VVS has done very well whenever captaining India A, Hyderabad or ROI in lower level cricket. But the other interesting thing to note is how his form seems to shoot up when he's given that additional level of security and responsibility. He's produced a few superb knocks for ROI or Hyderabad in Irani games, and his average as a captain is much more impressive than his average as a regular player. Might not be a bad way to try and get the best out of VVS especially in Australia. He's one bloke who could benefit from the captaincy, rather than go into a shell like Tendulkar, or see his batting struggle as Dravid did.

Diaper boy Rahul , just for a second i thought you knew what you were on, seems like no. You study control systems in electrical engg, not something else. Go find something else useful to do , other than digging up useless articles on Laxman. Pretty sure you havent even watched him play off late.