Back up pace bowlers - disheartening.

gator

gator' date=' i understand that all of them are products of the academy...my question is, there is always a dip in the speed of these fast bowlers at the end of their first, second season ....and i have heard ppl attribute the academy for the change.. I dont believe irfan spent all his time in the academy after he was dropped, and if i remember right, Zak came back after a wonderful county stint....Srinath, was never a 150 bowler after his 1st 2-3 years...i remember sri going to learn the leg cutter (or for him, the ball that goes straight on) and he never clocked 150 after that....the srinath i lived and watched was a consistent 135-140 bowler at best.I mean , everyone will give credit to an academy, but i dont know who else to point to for the dip in bowling speeds[/quote'] I disagree, SF.... Srinath made his debut in 1992.... in 96, he was clocking faster than Donald and Klusener and was clocked at 150+ consistently, sometimes even hitting 156kph.... it made sachin remark that it was one of the greatest displays of express pace bowling tht he had ever witnessed or something like tht... In 1999 world cup, he was the second fastest bowler of the tournament behind Aktor.... He was clocking 150kph again... this was again 7 yrs after his debut....
gator' date=' i understand that all of them are products of the academy...my question is, there is always a dip in the speed of these fast bowlers at the end of their first, second season ....[b']and i have heard ppl attribute the academy for the change.. I dont believe irfan spent all his time in the academy after he was dropped, and if i remember right, Zak came back after a wonderful county stint....Srinath, was never a 150 bowler after his 1st 2-3 years...i remember sri going to learn the leg cutter (or for him, the ball that goes straight on) and he never clocked 150 after that....the srinath i lived and watched was a consistent 135-140 bowler at best.I mean , everyone will give credit to an academy, but i dont know who else to point to for the dip in bowling speeds
SF, Maybe it is not the MRF Academy itself but the players themselves to take the blame? Look at it this way, ZK benefitted a lot from County cricket. What happened essentially was that he was kicked out of Indian team and he played County cricket as a professional bowler. In other words he knew very well that if he bowled badly his roji-roti would be on the line. On the other hand if he bowled well there was not only a good chance to be appreciated by COunty but also to get back in Indian team. And hence the man who couldnt bowl 10 overs in LOI was suddenly bowling 2-3 times the number every single day. No wonder he became fit. Same with Sreenath. He came back lot fitter after County stint. Another thing to note is that many non-Indian bowlers have also used MRF and none of their pace went down. Maybe it is just the work ethics of Indian pacers? xxx

i think we need to send this praveen kumar guy also to england to play county cricket.. he is fairly new...with such pace he won't be selected as our first strike bowler also for now... and might not get to play in any of the 5 odis against pak where as in english conditionz.. he will gain some ideas and get a good feel of cricket... would be good for him

As for the MRF Pace Academy, I dont think the academy can change you when you are like 22 or 23. They can change a little bit in your action and how to prevent injuries and stuff, but how can they increase your speed. In fact the academy should be coaching youngsters ages :8-19. Working with these youngsters will produce results. Then these sort of academies will work for sure

Err, neither is Sreesanth, nor RPS a 150kph bowler. That is approximately 93-94mph. Yes, they've occasionally bowled in the 90mph+ range, with the occasional deliveries/occasional spells being in the 145 kph range. But THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM A 150KPH BOWLER! A 145-150 Kph bowler is someone like Lee, Akhtar, Ntini, Sami, Malinga, etc- bowlers who CONSISTENTLY bowl at that range day in,day out and not just the one-off/two-off charged up spell in their careers so far. Both Sree and RPS are 85-90mph bowlers, ie' 135-140-ish range by their day-in,day-out basis.

Err, neither is Sreesanth, nor RPS a 150kph bowler. That is approximately 93-94mph. Yes, they've occasionally bowled in the 90mph+ range, with the occasional deliveries/occasional spells being in the 145 kph range. But THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM A 150KPH BOWLER! A 145-150 Kph bowler is someone like Lee, Akhtar, Ntini, Sami, Malinga, etc- bowlers who CONSISTENTLY bowl at that range day in,day out and not just the one-off/two-off charged up spell in their careers so far. Both Sree and RPS are 85-90mph bowlers, ie' 135-140-ish range by their day-in,day-out basis.
err no... i have watched every ball in every single match in the latest 7 match odi series and every single match tht they played, Sree and RPS topped at 148-149kph.... and their average was 142-143kph CONSISTENTLY..... tht does make them FASSST bowlers... secondly, the OP says 145 kph...

Sreesanth is QUICK. In his first spell , he is always around 142-143 kmph , which is a healthy 88-89 mph. RPS is probably a tad slower i would say , his range is between 137-141. Zak is between 134-138 while pathan is almost always around 135 kmph. I say that is a very good.

Sreesanth is QUICK. In his first spell , he is always around 142-143 kmph , which is a healthy 88-89 mph. RPS is probably a tad slower i would say , his range is between 137-141. Zak is between 134-138 while pathan is almost always around 135 kmph. I say that is a very good.
Mars, did u watch all the 7 matches?
While, it is very heartening to have 2 145+ kph bowlers in our first team - Sreesonic and RPS, it is heart-breaking to see the reserve pace bowlers in this edition of challengers..... each of them have the perfect attributes of a pace bowler.... built - min 6'2 -6'3 kinda height, athletic, broad shouldered and strong... trundling at 125 kph.... praveen kumar, pankaj singh, Bose, even Yo Mahesh, Munaf Patel, Joginder Sharma.Sid Trivedi, Gangandeep - the list goes on.... depressing... the only saving grace in this list of Nancies is Ishant Sharma.... this youngster is prolly the lankiest of em, but at 6'6, he run in and bowls 140 consistently.... atleast he has the heart of a man... the rest are jus built strong, they dont wanna strain themselves because there are plenty of easy wickets on offer as long as u maintain line and length.... WTH happened to promising fast bowlers like Nabi, VRV, Abu Nechim.... Yo has really fallen in pace from consistent 140+ bowling a year back....more because he has a lot of faults creeping into his action.... he is losing control and hence cutting down on speed...
Yes we need a whole lot of pace bowlers. I'm counting on VRV Singh and Ishant Sharma.

That Indian cricket fans constantly keep referring to or hope players like VRV Singh or Munaf Patel come back into the Indian team shows how much we yearn for genuine fast bowlers. This longing for a quick bowler who can cross 140 kmph seems to be because of the numeuous times our batsman have been blitzed by pace bowlers from other teams. Things are changing though. I , as someone who has been living Indian cricket for close to 11 years now , can definitely detect a change in my mentality. I am no longer afraid of quick bowlers from the opposition teams. There was a time when i used to be scared for our team whenever the opposition team had a real fast bowler , from the Waqar , Donald times in the mid-90's to the Lee , Bond , Akhtar, Harmison and even no-names like Nantie Hayward , Jermaine Lawson. Nowadays i am not, which is testament to the fact that our performance has improved markedly in the last 4-5 years abroad. And now with the arrival of new pacers like Sreesanth , RP Singh who can crank it up quite a bit , my situation has gotten better. If any opposing team says " We have some real fast bowlers" , I can now say " Well, so do we. Better watch out" :two_thumbs_up:

Yes Gats, live and the highlights. :D Why you ask ?
cos Sreesanth was averaging 143kph for his entire quota while Mitchell Johnson, the aussies pace sensation was averaging 140kph.. mind u, this is including Sreesanth's slower deliveries which clock 105kph while the others clock at 120kph.... RPS was averaging 141kph in his entire quota and his fastest was clocked at 148kph....

Sreesanth and RP Singh when in rythm are genuinely quick, averaging 140-145 kmph. Not the 150+ pacers but the amount of movement they get in slightly helpful conditions at that pace is deadly. They are still inexperienced at the international level and their best years are a good 4-5 years down the line going by the history of the best pacers in the world.

That Indian cricket fans constantly keep referring to or hope players like VRV Singh or Munaf Patel come back into the Indian team shows how much we yearn for genuine fast bowlers. This longing for a quick bowler who can cross 140 kmph seems to be because of the numeuous times our batsman have been blitzed by pace bowlers from other teams. Things are changing though. I , as someone who has been living Indian cricket for close to 11 years now , can definitely detect a change in my mentality. I am no longer afraid of quick bowlers from the opposition teams. There was a time when i used to be scared for our team whenever the opposition team had a real fast bowler , from the Waqar , Donald times in the mid-90's to the Lee , Bond , Akhtar, Harmison and even no-names like Nantie Hayward , Jermaine Lawson. Nowadays i am not, which is testament to the fact that our performance has improved markedly in the last 4-5 years abroad. And now with the arrival of new pacers like Sreesanth , RP Singh who can crank it up quite a bit , my situation has gotten better. If any opposing team says " We have some real fast bowlers" , I can now say " Well, so do we. Better watch out" :two_thumbs_up:
I was too. Till i saw Brett Lee get a double-hundred. :hysterical: I thought it would be a fluke, but it wasnt!
cos Sreesanth was averaging 143kph for his entire quota while Mitchell Johnson, the aussies pace sensation was averaging 140kph.. mind u, this is including Sreesanth's slower deliveries which clock 105kph while the others clock at 120kph.... RPS was averaging 141kph in his entire quota and his fastest was clocked at 148kph....
Sreesanth "averaged" 143 over his entire spell Gats ? Doesnt that mean that he must bowl atleast 4-6 balls over 145 ? I am not too sure about that. I would say he was consistently in the 141-143 bracket. I would put average speed of his first spell more around 140 mark. Having said that , even 141-143 is quick , period. Swing+Pace is Sreesanth's biggest weapon, if he controls his aggression , I think his returns will improve further.
Sreesanth "averaged" 143 over his entire spell Gats ? Doesnt that mean that he must bowl atleast 4-6 balls over 145 ? I am not too sure about that.
Marsman.. They showed the average speeds of the bowlers and Sreesonic was 143 something and Michele Johanson was 141 and Bread lee was around 145. something... and in tht same breath, they show top speed and Sree was 148 something..