Check the family connection

Rajiv

I was looking at Kishore Kumars BIO on IMDB I certainly scratched by head on this one Abhas Kumar Ganguly was born on August 4, 1929, in Khandwa, now in Madhya Pradesh. His dad's name was Kunjilal, a lawyer by profession, and his mom's name was Gouri Devi, who came from a wealthy family. Kishore was the youngest in the Ganguly family, preceded by Ashok, Sati, & Anoop. Sati was married to Sashadhar Mukherjee, who was the brother of film-maker Subodh Mukherjee, and Bollywood actors Joy & Deb Mukherjee. Sati's son, Shomu, went on to marry Tanuja Samarth, and who subsequently gave birth to Kajol and Tanisha. Tanuja is the sister of Nutan Behl, who, in turn, is the mother of actor Mohnish Behl. Tanuja and Nutan are the daughters of the famed Shobhna Samarth. Sati was also aunt-by-marriage to Ram Mukherjee, who would subsequently marry and give birth to Raja and Bollywood actress, Rani Mukherjee. Ashok's daughter is noted Bollywood actress, Preeti Ganguly, who is married to comedian and character actor, Deven Verma. Ashok's grand-daughter is actress, Anuradha Patel.

Had a misunderstanding with Amitabh Bachchan in the mid 1980s. He refused to sing for Amitabh when Amitabh refused to act in a movie produced by Kishore. Amitabh then faced his worst phase in his career after this. He later made a comeback several years later with Kaun Banega Crorepati. Kishore learnt yodeling by listening to his brother Anoop Kumar's Austrian records.

Had a misunderstanding with Amitabh Bachchan in the mid 1980s. He refused to sing for Amitabh when Amitabh refused to act in a movie produced by Kishore. Amitabh then faced his worst phase in his career after this. He later made a comeback several years later with Kaun Banega Crorepati.
The misunderstanding was simmering since early 80s but it was brought to fore in Prakash Mehra's Sharabi. In the movie there was this popular song - Jehan Chaar yaar mil jaayein - which was sung by Kishore Kumar with interlude voice by Amitabh. When the movies initial CD/tapes was released Amitabh's name was put in ahead of Kishore which obviously pi$$ed the latter. Amitabh has had this (in)famy of trying to cut down his co-actors, be it Shatrughan Sinha or Vinod Khanna, and now it was thought of as KK as AB trying to undermine him. AB didnt do anything to address the doubts of KK and so KK stopped singing altogether for him. This happened in 1984. His songs were now sung by Mohd. Aziz, Shabber Kumar etc. And even though AB did give hits like Mard, Coolie in this timeframe the songs of these movies were absolutely trash. Legend has it that AB went to KK, apologized and then KK came back to singing for him in 1988 with movies like Shehenshah and Ganga Jamuna Saraswati. xxx

IIRC KK won best playback singer for Sharaabi Songs and dialogues of that move were real gems
Yes Sharaabi was probably last of Amitabh's good movies. He did give hits afterwards(Coolie, Aakhri Raasta etc) but in his list of top movies such movies would be forgotten. The only exception would be Agneepath but I have always thought of it as a Mukul Anand movie and not AB. The songs of Sharaabi were quite good. Manjilein apni jagah hain raaste apni jagah is a beautiful number. My favorite song, or rather part of the song, from Sharaabi is when Kishore sings out of this world with a "Nasha sharaab mein hota to naachti botal", it completly blows away the lead Asha Bhonsle's "Mujhe naulakha manga de". The song I mentioned is actually very very similar to other classic - Saalam-e-ishq meri jaan jara kabul kar lo (from Muqaddar ka Sikandar). In the song KK cuts Lata with a "Ishke aage ki ab daastan mujhse sun.." Claasic! xxx

KK also had a tiff with Subhash Ghai-LP. He never sang in SG's movies (who usually had LP as the MD) after Karz (Hero/Vidhaata/Meri Jung). They all made up and he sang again in Karma after a long time in mid-80s.
Yes indeed. I think the tiff started in Karz with Om Shaanti Om. Subhas Ghai's music was always done by LP till Pardes where Nadeem Shravan composed the music. Musically I think SG-LP combo was at best in Hero with some really good songs. Nindiya se Jaagi bahar is my personal favourite.