****Maharashtra Assembly Elections 2014 Thread***

G_B_

If BJP accepts a role of younger brother in alliance it would be a loss to BJP. In current scenario shivsena needs bjp more than bjp needing shivsena. Its just miscalculation that bjp won't win Maharashtra without shivsena, something similar to that bjp remained afraid of in Bihar in keeping company with JD (u). Also keeping company of a narrow-minded, parochial party like shivsena is a liability for bjp who wants to get a pan-indian makeover. Shiv sena as a party losing relevance ratherqquickly.

If BJP accepts a role of younger brother in alliance it would be a loss to BJP. In current scenario shivsena needs bjp more than bjp needing shivsena. Its just miscalculation that bjp won't win Maharashtra without shivsena' date=' something similar to that bjp remained afraid of in Bihar in keeping company with JD (u). Also keeping company of a narrow-minded, parochial party like shivsena is a liability for bjp who wants to get a pan-indian makeover. Shiv sena as a party losing relevance ratherqquickly.[/quote'] the dynamics of maharashtra and bihar are different. you already have a strong alliance of the ncp and the congress in maharashtra. would be another issue if everybody contested separately.

yup Aditya Thakarey is like half in love with Modi. lol he is probably fighting his father for the bjp. Dont get me wrong the rank and file Shiv sena cadre (and even MNS) love Narendra Modi. It will be a travesty to see the alliance break. Two like minded parties in many sense. Unlike the JD(u) the sena is probably a natural fit as a partner for the BJP.
The growing coldness in Shiv Sena-BJP ties, as evidenced during seat-sharing talks spread over the last three weeks, is in sharp contrast with the 1990s when camaraderie, chilled beer and cartoons marked the saffron equations under the leadership of Sena chief Balasaheb Thackeray and BJP leader Pramod Mahajan, say observers. Old-timers fondly recall the Sena-BJP's halcyon days when ambition was curbed with affection and 'aam kaa achaar' resolved acrimony in the 'bhagwa' (saffron) brigade. "It is not that everything was hunky-dory in the Sena-BJP alliance in that era. However, Balasaheb and Pramodji handled tension with tact. Also, the comfort level between them was exceptionally high," said a Sena veteran who held a key post in the 'yuti' (alliance) government between 1995 and 1999. The present-day saffron satraps lack political skills and plain ground wisdom. "Plus, there is lack of friendliness," he stated regretfully. "There is a picture of Atal Bihari Vajpayee and L K Advani greeting Balasaheb. The photograph oozes warmth. Those helming the BJP today—Narendra Modi and Amit Shah, for instance—may not understand the fine sensibilities of the 1990s," he added. For instance, Mahajan had unhindered access to Matoshree, almost 24x7. "If there was a skirmish in the Sena-BJP government and Balasaheb was in a foul mood, Pramodji would make a beeline to the kitchen and start a conversation with Meenatai (Balasaheb's wife and a sobering influence on saffron leaders) who would be busy cooking. Pramodji would take a plate for himself and dig into piping hot 'chapatis' and mango pickle. And that was the end of the crisis," said the Sena leader. Again, Thackeray would ease the situation with his wry humour. For instance, his term of endearment for Gopinath Munde (the senior BJP leader who died in June this year) was 'BJP ke gunde', while Mahajan had earned the soubriquet of 'promote' , the Sena chief's grudging compliment to the BJP strategist's exceptional PR and managerial skills. The Thackeray-Mahajan ties deepened at the former's evening 'gappa' sessions at Matoshree. "The two leaders would discuss Pu. La. Deshpande's humour, Lata's ditties and David Lowe's—Balasaheb's icon—cartoons over warm beer (for Balasaheb) and a glass of fruit juice (for Mahajan)," said a close associate of Mahajan. Today, the Sena-BJP ties are, sadly, governed by formality that often borders on indifference, say observers. Last week, Uddhav Thackeray appeared in the visitors' block of Matoshree and met senior BJP leader Om Prakash Mathur, who led a contingent of party leaders to the Thackerays' Bandra residence for talks. After a formal 'namaste', the Sena president, it is said, asked one of his subordinates to conduct parleys with Mathur & Co and retired to his second-floor apartment. "We had to put our foot down and tell the Sena functionary that in keeping with the protocol, Thackeray should be present at the meeting as Mathur is our party's poll observer," said a BJP functionary. "The escalating trust deficit has aggravated our problem," he added. "Both Balasaheb and Pramodji had great respect for each other. That helped us sail through crisis of every shape and size," said Atul Bhatkhalkar, general secretary of the Maharashtra BJP and a close witness to the Thackeray-Mahajan era. "Balasaheb considered Pramodji as his fourth son," Bhatkhalkar added. The Sena-BJP chroniclers recall how Mahajan earned a handsome compliment, that too publicly, from Balasaheb at a Sena-BJP jamboree at Girgaum Chowpatty in 1997. "Pramod has spoken so well... he has mesmerised all of us with his words... I don't know if there is any need for me to speak," Balasaheb said. "This was indeed rare as Balasaheb would never praise someone who was younger than him," said a Sena MP who was present at the Chowpatty conclave. Thackeray's final tribute to Mahajan is poignant. On knowing that the BJP leader had passed away following a family tragedy in May 2006, the Sena chief visited the Mahim hospital. On seeing Mahajan's dead body, he moaned, "Uth, Pramod, mee aaloy, uth, majhyakade bol" (Get up, Pramod, I have come to meet you. Get up and talk to me). Such deep friendship nurtures fickle political alliances.
Nice article of the gold old days of BJP-SS alliance. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/When-mango-pickle-could-defuse-any-Sena-BJP-crisis/articleshow/42753049.cms

Very true. Key point here is that there is a lack of tact on both sides in dealing with the current situation. That their fights are out in the open does not augur well for them in the forthcoming elections even if they finally do agree on a seat-sharing formula.

this is why the death of mahajan and munde was such a big blow. Munde had a friendship with Uddhav on a personal level and Pramod Mahajan always had the ear of Bal T. By friendship i mean, oh there is a satya narayan pooja at Mundes house and Uddhav is the first one invited etc. They were friends in the truest sense of the word. Problem is Phadnavis though capable just does not have the stature to deal with Uddhav Thakarey. What should have happened is Amit shah should have discussed all the details with Uddhav T person to person rather than having Phadnavis do the dealing. Develop a personal rapport with him. Now obviously its going to take time, but sending Phadnavis forward was not the best option. Munde's death might just be the reason why the ncp congress win. As i have said before, Sena would have settled for more seats with Munde as CM. The elephant in the room is Nitin Gadkari. Uddhav does not trust him.

this is why the death of mahajan and munde was such a big blow. Munde had a friendship with Uddhav on a personal level and Pramod Mahajan always had the ear of Bal T. By friendship i mean, oh there is a satya narayan pooja at Mundes house and Uddhav is the first one invited etc. They were friends in the truest sense of the word. Problem is Phadnavis though capable just does not have the stature to deal with Uddhav Thakarey. What should have happened is Amit shah should have discussed all the details with Uddhav T person to person rather than having Phadnavis do the dealing. Develop a personal rapport with him. Now obviously its going to take time, but sending Phadnavis forward was not the best option. Munde's death might just be the reason why the ncp congress win. As i have said before, Sena would have settled for more seats with Munde as CM. The elephant in the room is Nitin Gadkari. Uddhav does not trust him.
Elephant in the truest sense..

Looks like the NCP-Congress alliance has also hit a road block. Odd as i thought 125-163 was sealed with NCP contesting 125. Even that alliance might break. Seems Ajit Pawar has not taken kindly to PC declaring himself as CM. Rumours are that NCP want 135 as a bare minimum

One thing is sure. If BJP fights on its own and Modi campaigns in Maharashtra' date=' BJP will form the govt. Shivsena would struggle to reach 40. This I am talking about when NCP congress alliance remains intact.[/quote'] Yes. Also a lot of ground level workers and leaders will switch to BJP from SS. They are saying only 119 to BJP and allies, and 151 to Shivsena. There are more than 50 seats, they haven't won once in last 25 year and still want to contest. I don't know what kind of arrogance is this from Sena. But that's typical of them to always act immature.

When Bjp lost the by- elections' date=' people were saying that the public voted for Modi in loksabha elections and not for BJP. Now, suddenly bjp would win more seats in Maharashtra without Shiv sena if Modi campaigns. Lol. Yeah fools. I believe you.[/quote'] We all know Raghav would be more than happy to see BJP contest alone..:cantstop:

SS is making a mess out of this. Both parties will suffer if alliance collapses. But for SS, they could have losses in long term as well. They might just break up, Uddhav himself aren't a real leader or influence like Balasaheb. Both parties are over confident and should compromise.

We all know Raghav would be more than happy to see BJP contest alone..:cantstop:
Yeah. true and i believe that Amit shah will come here searching for my analysis and based on that he'll decide whether to continue in alliance. I writing here all these things so that I can influence BJP decision.

Looks like BJP-Sena almost set to go separate ways http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/BJP-prepares-for-life-after-Sena-but-keeps-door-open/articleshow/43113805.cms Honestly, I think if all four - Sena, BJP, Cong, NCP go solo, then it would make for an interesting and hard to predict result. It will also serve as a true measure of popularity of each party. They can then approach their natural post-poll ally to form a government.

Interesting facts: In 2009, BJP contested on far fewer seats than Shiv Sena, yet won one more seat. In 2004, NCP contested on far fewer seats than Congress, yet won two more seats. Mind-bogglingly though, they conceded the CM's post to Congress for the entire term. Bizarre!