Tendulkar turns down captaincy

beetle

Good call there from Tendulkar. For the first time since WC 2007' date=' has done something to command my respect. I hope they offer it to Dhoni. It would be a backward move, if they make one of the oldies again captain again.[/quote'] Too early to say if this is a good(or bad) decision Bumper. Thus far mixed information can be seen/heard/read on News channel. As per CNN-IBN - “I don’t feel right about it at the moment,” Tendulkar told CNN-IBN’s Editor in Chief Rajdeep Sardesai. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/dhoni-to-be-test-captain-after-sachin-says-no/27771-13.html That to me is hardly a statement I personally feel respectful about. I mean what is meant by "not at the moment"? It is not that Sachin has another 5 years of cricket left, clearly at most it would be a couple of years. Why not just say very clearly that he doesnt want to lead period and leave the Selectors with a clear cut vision for the future? That would make things easier for BCCI, Dhoni and everyone else. For now it seems he would much rather keep that option open, which doesnt make sense. xxx
Gilchrist has openly said that long term captaincy along with wicketkeeping is extremely challenging and something he never strived for nor wanted. Moreover, the Australian selectors are smart enough to know that such an arrangement is too tough to achieve on a long term basis. Why is it a requirement to have same captain in tests and ODIs. Laxman and Kumble are ideal choices for now in that order.
I strongly believe in one cappo for both forms. It puts one man in charge of our cricket. Too many leaders will create unnecessary egos and politics in our cricket. If "two captains" is a sensible idea, why is it that most teams dont try it ? As it is we dont have any long term option for test captaincy. Kumble, Laxman et al are fillers, who will serve only 6 months. Time to bite the bullet & appoint Dhoni captain in Tests.

>>>>>>Good call there from Tendulkar. For the first time since WC 2007, has done something to command my respect. Agree .If what is being reported in the media is true then he commandsmy respect for this. >>>>Kumble should be made captain for these 2 series alone and then get Dhoni for next year. agree.

Too early to say if this is a good(or bad) decision Bumper. Thus far mixed information can be seen/heard/read on News channel. As per CNN-IBN - “I don’t feel right about it at the moment,” Tendulkar told CNN-IBN’s Editor in Chief Rajdeep Sardesai. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/dhoni-to-be-test-captain-after-sachin-says-no/27771-13.html That to me is hardly a statement I personally feel respectful about. I mean what is meant by "not at the moment"? It is not that Sachin has another 5 years of cricket left, clearly at most it would be a couple of years. Why not just say very clearly that he doesnt want to lead period and leave the Selectors with a clear cut vision for the future? That would make things easier for BCCI, Dhoni and everyone else. For now it seems he would much rather keep that option open, which doesnt make sense. xxx
bcci have confirmed he has declined to captain the side for the test its is officlal and there is no chance of him going back on his statement as it would look bad now....dhoni more likely to be test captain or kumble has an outside chance
bcci have confirmed he has declined to captain the side for the test its is officlal and there is no chance of him going back on his statement as it would look bad now....dhoni more likely to be test captain or kumbel has an outside chance
Go with VVS or Kumble, let Dhoni come in after a year. And yes keep SRT as far away from Indian skippership as humanly possible, for now and ever.
Go with VVS or Kumble' date=' let Dhoni come in after a year. And yes keep SRT as far away from Indian skippership as humanly possible, for now and ever.[/quote'] hmm yes, i would want one of these guyz too.. Vvs or Kumble and would be really annoyed if someone comes and say that VVs is not doing anything rite now in domestic cricket.. and doesn't deserve a test slott either.
Go with VVS or Kumble' date=' let Dhoni come in after a year. And yes keep SRT as far away from Indian skippership as humanly possible, for now and ever.[/quote'] from the looks of it he wont even reconsider it seems he had some problems with vengsarkar and co and now vengsarkar is getting the pumelling of life time in the media for the past few days he has sued one news channel for 1 crores for defamation
I strongly believe in one cappo for both forms. It puts one man in charge of our cricket. Too many leaders will create unnecessary egos and politics in our cricket. If "two captains" is a sensible idea' date=' why is it that most teams dont try it ? As it is we dont have any long term option for test captaincy. Kumble, Laxman et al are fillers, who will serve only 6 months. Time to bite the bullet & appoint Dhoni captain in Tests.[/quote'] I agree with Bumper. Dhoni should be made the captain of both forms. Captaining a test team is not rocket science. He has shown his mettle by captaining well in limited overs now he is all set to become the test captain. :two_thumbs_up: No need to make a stop gap captain in Kumble or Laxman. You need someone who can lead by example. Kumble or Laxman cannot execute it at this point of their career
Too early to say if this is a good(or bad) decision Bumper. Thus far mixed information can be seen/heard/read on News channel. As per CNN-IBN - “I don’t feel right about it at the moment,” Tendulkar told CNN-IBN’s Editor in Chief Rajdeep Sardesai. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/dhoni-to-be-test-captain-after-sachin-says-no/27771-13.html That to me is hardly a statement I personally feel respectful about. I mean what is meant by "not at the moment"? It is not that Sachin has another 5 years of cricket left, clearly at most it would be a couple of years. Why not just say very clearly that he doesnt want to lead period and leave the Selectors with a clear cut vision for the future? That would make things easier for BCCI, Dhoni and everyone else. For now it seems he would much rather keep that option open, which doesnt make sense. xxx
Tendulkar could have taken up the captaincy like a selfish git, esp at this point in time, when his place in the side is questionable and the support for youth is on a high. Regardless of the technicalities of his exact words, I'd appreciate the fact that he gave up the captaincy which was his for the taking. (I had expected him to take it up, which is why my respect for him has gone up coz of this gesture)
Guest HariSampath
Too early to say if this is a good(or bad) decision Bumper. Thus far mixed information can be seen/heard/read on News channel. As per CNN-IBN - “I don’t feel right about it at the moment,†Tendulkar told CNN-IBN’s Editor in Chief Rajdeep Sardesai. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/dhoni-to-be-test-captain-after-sachin-says-no/27771-13.html That to me is hardly a statement I personally feel respectful about. I mean what is meant by "not at the moment"? It is not that Sachin has another 5 years of cricket left, clearly at most it would be a couple of years. Why not just say very clearly that he doesnt want to lead period and leave the Selectors with a clear cut vision for the future? That would make things easier for BCCI, Dhoni and everyone else. For now it seems he would much rather keep that option open, which doesnt make sense. xxx
You got a point Lurks, the fact is that Sachin has been having double mind about captaincy for a while now. When the ODI captaincy came up, he did wait for a while "consider it" and then turned it down. Crucially India was moving towards the T20 finals and Dhoni's chart was up, and it may not even have come to him. After Dhoni was offered the captaincy, BCCI Niranjan Shah said no one else was contacted. Now the issue is Sachin may not want the additional pressure of captaincy in tests when he is focusing on performing better as a batsman. The fact remains if we lose to pak in tests or get thrashed by Aus , not only will his captaincy be criticised but Sachin will face pressure on his place if he had not performed very well too. Additinally, he saying things like being unhappy about seniors treatment is also himself included in a potential scenario, because what has his decision to lead India or not have to do with the non selection of Dravid for 2 odis ? and if he was unhappy about that why wait till he decided not to take up captaincy to voice this opinion ? he could have done it way back. I feel that by voicing such an opinion, actually he is again doing the job of the big 3 spokesman, and in fact tacitly putting pressure on Dhoni

New Delhi (IANS) Sachin Tendulkar has declined to take up India's Test captaincy and asked the cricket board to appoint a young player for the upcoming home series against Pakistan, a BCCI official confirmed Tuesday. Ratnakar Shetty, chief administrative officer of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), told IANS that Tendulkar has "orally told" BCCI president Sharad Pawar of his decision. "He has conveyed to the BCCI that at the moment he was 'not interested' in captaincy," Shetty said over phone from Mumbai. "He has also orally told Sharad Pawar that the team is doing well at the moment, and the board should look to appointing someone younger for Test cricket," he said, pointing out that the 34-year-old maestro had not written any letter. The selection committee is scheduled to meet in Mohali Thursday to pick the captain for the three-Test series against Pakistan starting in Delhi Nov 22. Tendulkar, who has been the national captain twice but without much success, was considered front-runner for the post after Rahul Dravid resigned following the tour of England in September. The selectors picked Mahendra Singh Dhoni to lead the five-match One-Day International series against Pakistan and deferred a decision on the Test captain. Dhoni is now believed to be the front-runner for this job too. This gained currency after a selector told IANS that the selection committee was keen to look "forward". Asked if there was any chance of the selectors going back to former skipper Sourav Ganguly, he said: "We are not going to look back. We are going to look forward."

Additinally, he saying things like being unhappy about seniors treatment is also himself included in a potential scenario, because what has his decision to lead India or not have to do with the non selection of Dravid for 2 odis ? and if he was unhappy about that why wait till he decided not to take up captaincy to voice this opinion ? he could have done it way back. I feel that by voicing such an opinion, actually he is again doing the job of the big 3 spokesman, and in fact tacitly putting pressure on Dhoni
Hari, You are correct in that the two issues(leadership vis-a-vis treatment of seniors) is not related. Yes it can come in handy as an excuse of sorts but it is not exactly that Dravid has set the world ablaze with his batting recently. Not to mention Ganguly or Sachin himself either. The reasons why seniors are feeling the hit(and hence being thought of as being maltreated) are two-faced: 1) Seniors have not performed by and large in last 2-3 years. 2) Juniors are keeping the heat on the seniors. There is nothing wrong with dropping seniors from LOI. Every expert agrees that if with seniors we are languishing at 6-7th slot why not blood young guns? Atleast we will see some fresh faces(not to mention pair of legs) and how they face pressure. Not reading too much into it but I wonder how the young guns(Uthappa/Gambhir etc) would take Sachin's statement since it is clearly they who have benefitted from Dravid's ouster, not to mention Dhoni who now had a chance to build his team as per his wish/desire. xxx
Guest HariSampath

I cant imagine how refusing to captain your country can ever be considered "selfless" , it is the greatest honor, more so when the side needs you. If you don't want to captain due to differnces with selection committee, by the same token you might as well say "I won't play" as its the same committee that has selected you..... come on Sachin....good decision, but you have concern more for your neck than any other thing... so either be honest or.... shut up

Time to look towards younger players, says Sachin New Delhi, November 6: The Board of Control for Cricket in India on Tuesday confirmed that batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar has declined the post of Team India captain in Tests. Sachin turned down the offer to become the captain of India's Test cricket team just two days before his appointment was to be formally announced. "Its time for the team to look towards younger players," Sachin Tendulkar told BCCI chief Sharad Pawar on Tuesday. "I don't feel right about it at the moment," Sachin was quoted as saying by a private TV news channel, two days before selectors meet to name Rahul Dravid's successor. Sachin and One-Day International captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni were in the frame for the job after Dravid relinquished the post two months ago. The selectors will meet on Thursday to announce team for the remaining three One-dayers against Pakistan and also the new Test captain with Mahendra Singh Dhoni now emerging as the frontrunner for the hot-seat. While, there are certain people in the board who want to promote Yuvraj Singh as captain since he is senior to Dhoni but the only thing that goes against Yuvraj is that he is not a regular Test player.

Guest HariSampath
Whats the brand of crack you are trying today .... ? I mean how hard is to realize that if he had taken up the post as a Captain he would have been assured of a place in the side ... considering how you have now proclaimed that he is "concerned about his neck"
About brands of crack, I would defer to your "wisdom" on the subject....but the point I made is simply this : If he is captain and India lose very badly, then the call will go out nationwide for sacking him as skipper ( naturally too), and if in the process his performance is somewhat ordinary, then it will become extremely difficult for selectors to sack him as captain while retaining him in the 11. On the other hand if for the same performances ( IF mediocre, like avg 35 etc), he has a lot better chances that his place won't be questioned, if someone else is captain. Remember someone called Ganguly a while back ?
Whats the brand of crack you are trying today .... ? I mean how hard is to realize that if he had taken up the post as a Captain he would have been assured of a place in the side ... considering how you have now proclaimed that he is "concerned about his neck"
I am sure if he had accepted the captaincy, he would have been criticised for securing his place in the team. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.