The Truth about Ganguly

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:.... The inside story of Indian dressing Room... Ganguly is just earning enough to buy a single day's game... a sword is hanging all the time on his head...Lets see how long he survives.. Dhoni has openly critisized the slow opening in ODIs..when we Ganguly used to score 15 in 45 balls..in power plays.. Fallback Mountain3.gif26-01.jpg The decision to appoint Anil Kumble as the next Test captain of the Indian team has understandably divided the Indian cricketing fraternity. At 37, the veteran leg-spinner is in the twilight of his career and it only reflects on the lack of options for Messrs Dilip Vengsarkar and Co who were left in the lurch first by Rahul Dravid and then Sachin Tendulkar. But it is not just the former cricketers who have diverse views over the stop-gap arrangement, Mumbai Mirror understands that even the selection committee wasn’t on the same plane and there was a healthy debate before the wise men came to a conclusion even as India went down to Pakistan in a close encounter at Mohali on Thursday. “Two selectors were in favour of Mahendra Singh Dhoni being made the Test captain as they felt it was the right way forward. But the rest were swayed by the opinions of a few former cricketers who felt Dhoni was still wet behind the ears to get the Test job,†a board official who did not wished to be named said. Dhoni has only played in 20 Test matches since making his debut against Pakistan in 2005 and former India captain Ravi Shastri had recently said that there will be too much on the 26-year-old’s plate if he is asked to captain the side in the Test matches. “Dhoni has done well leading the side in ODIs and Twenty20 internationals. Burdening him now with the Test captaincy would be asking for too much. It will put him under a lot of pressure. He needs a couple of tough tours before he is handed over the mantle. The time is not right to appoint him,†Shastri had said ahead of the Mohali game. Former India coach Greg Chappell, too, had voiced similar concerns. “Those who proposed Kumble’s name were of the opinion that Australia was not a friendly place for a visiting team. Their Press, former and current cricketers work in tandem to destroy the confidence of the visitors and they start with the captain,†the source said. “Dhoni has never been to Australia before and he doesn’t really know what to expect. If in case he has a bad experience it might be difficult for him to recover soon. Keeping the bigger picture in mind, they appointed Kumble as the captain and he is most likely to be retained for the tour of Australia later this year.†No other names discussed Apart from Kumble and Dhoni, sources said there were no names discussed when the selectors met. “Sourav Ganguly’s name never came up as he is not a popular character in the team. In fact, he may just be a bad performance away from being dropped,†the source added. The BCCI, meanwhile, we’re told have informed Dhoni that he’ll be appointed as the vice-captain for the Test series against Pakistan and Australia. Kumble in all likelihood will also captain the team in Australia and that’ll only put Harbhajan Singh out of the equation. In recent times India have stuck to the policy of playing only one spinner in the away Test matches and have packed the side with three seamers, a strategy that has worked for them. Although Kumble did exceptionally well on the last trip, Harbhajan, too, has an impressive record against the Australians.

If anybody other than Sachin/Saurav had opened yesterday, we would have been 40/3 in 12 overs. NEVER EVER under-estimate the value of an old-experienced hand.
Sriram, ur understating the catches dropped by Akmal and chances ganguly had.. Ganguly is jus living dangerously.. if it has been any other team or even pak with any other keeper, Ganguly wudnt b making any score at all...
Sriram, ur understating the catches dropped by Akmal and chances ganguly had.. Ganguly is jus living dangerously.. if it has been any other team or even pak with any other keeper, Ganguly wudnt b making any score at all...
Annatha, you are just speculating on what could have been. I can also say that other teams dont have an opening attack as good as Gul-Akhtar and therefore wouldnt have induced those edges. Ganguly has made 1200 runs at an ave 45 this year. You think all of them came out of luck ?
MM, Cmon man...SG saved our opening blushes? Look, SG would have gone for a DUCK - regulation simple catch. Why dont you see that?
Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St unfiltered 310 11358 183 41.15 22 72 99 5/16 38.58 2 100 0 filtered 30 1137 89 43.73 0 11 6 2/24 58.33 0 4 0 Numbers dont lie F'leg. Find me two other openers in international cricket who has a better record in the last 30 matches they have played. I give a damn to how ganguly makes those runs , how elegant/ungainly he looks. As long as he can keep doing what he is doing now, he stays in the team for me.
Annatha, you are just speculating on what could have been. I can also say that other teams dont have an opening attack as good as Gul-Akhtar and therefore wouldnt have induced those edges. Ganguly has made 1200 runs at an ave 45 this year. You think all of them came out of luck ?
Im not talking abt Ganguls past.. im talkin abt this series... well i hope he will retire gracefully during the OZ tour... tht ll b his last series... we ll know how hes gonna play there :haha:
Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St unfiltered 310 11358 183 41.15 22 72 99 5/16 38.58 2 100 0 filtered 30 1137 89 43.73 0 11 6 2/24 58.33 0 4 0 Numbers dont lie F'leg. Find me two other openers in international cricket who has a better record in the last 30 matches they have played. I give a damn to how ganguly makes those runs , how elegant/ungainly he looks. As long as he can keep doing what he is doing now, he stays in the team for me.
you're right... As far as ganguly is making runs, I am fine with him being in the team. About the concern over his fielding, ever heard of "bringing a substitute in place of injured fielder". In our case when gangu is finished batting bring that sub in and all is well then. ICC's sub rule is total BS, many teams have/are exploiting it then why not us. :two_thumbs_up:
Very slow strike rate in today's time and era. Ganguly is a player of past era. MoYo and SG batting together and running between wickets will be a sight to behold.
hmm....how about Inzy running for one of them :giggle:
Great numbers, but since when did we start looking at the performance in the last 25-30 games as a guideline to pick a player ?:haha:
Numbers dont lie I give a damn to how ganguly makes those runs , how elegant/ungainly he looks. As long as he can keep doing what he is doing now, he stays in the team for me.
They do Sriram - ODI stats that dont include strike rates do tell less than half the story. Ganguly was a great player, and is now less than average as an opener. He has been responsible for a few losses this year - not due to underperformance in runs scored, but due to an seeming inability (either due to lack of skill, or as the darker voices would put it, obstinacy) to push forward when the team requires it
They do Sriram - ODI stats that dont include strike rates do tell less than half the story. Ganguly was a great player' date=' and is now less than average as an opener. He has been responsible for a few losses this year - not due to underperformance in runs scored, but due to an seeming inability (either due to lack of skill, or as the darker voices would put it, obstinacy) to push forward when the team requires it[/quote'] Obs, I am afraid the actual truth is not all black and white as you perceive it be. Solid opening partnerships can never hurt a team, albeit even if it comes at slow pace.