The Truth about Ganguly

Obs' date=' I am afraid the actual truth is not all black and white as you perceive it be. Solid opening partnerships can never hurt a team, albeit even if it comes at slow pace.
Disagree. Slow ones put a lot of pressure on remaining batsmen. These days 300+ are common, and you need quick runs. Not tortoise like Ganguly style.
Disagree. Slow ones put a lot of pressure on remaining batsmen. These days 300+ are common, and you need quick runs. Not tortoise like Ganguly style.
His slow scoring plus pathetic fielding + dropped catches nullify the effect of any solid opening partnership he might have been involved with. Its time to "rest" him!:hatsoff:
Guest HariSampath
Very slow strike rate in today's time and era. Ganguly is a player of past era. MoYo and SG batting together and running between wickets will be a sight to behold.
Particularly if you like still photographs
Guest HariSampath
Gangulys attitude in ODIs sucks......
Thats because of a couple of things acting very much against him. 1. His skills , like other seniors, are not what it used to be in ODIs, and so he is finding it very difficult to deliver results. 2. There is no other spot in the batting order he can play or be accomodated as it will pull down the team interests. This puts pressure on him to retain his place purely as an opener, unlike the Gambhirs and Sehwags and Uthappas who are all openers who can play anywhere in the batting order and also bat aggressively. 3. Ganguly is more likely to play just as one half of the "old and experienced, tried and tested opening PAIR"...in other words , Sachin is largely responsible for Ganguly to hang on, and when Sachin doesn't do as well, ganguly is under more pressure. 4. Fielding. Ganguly cannot do this cricketing function

Were any of you guys complaining when Yuvraj and Gambhir were scoring,for quite a substantial amount of time, at a SR of under 50 each? Yuvraj too was out plumb lbw (at the time he had scored something 26 off 51) and not given, and the aggressive Gambhir made 25 from 49, with a 2007 SR of 75. This is not meant to be an attack on those 2 but I am just saying that this whole thread smacks of hypocracy. Ok agreed Ganguly hasnt been able to score at a run a ball this year, however he has scored faster than Ian Bell, Shiv Chanderpaul, Kumar Sangakkarra and Upul Tharanga (all top order batsman). If he is consistently scoring runs, at a SR of 70-75 then that is fine since we have plenty of other guys that can score at 100+ such as Sachin, Yuvraj, Uthappa, Dhoni and Pathan. It is important for every team to have an anchor, not every player needs to be an out and out smasher. As for his fielding, well I cant make any excuses about his fielding, but I will say this, saving 20 or so runs in the field means nothing if you are giving up 40 runs with the bat. Out of the existing squad, I cant see another opener who can score as consistently as Ganguly, and it is a bit too late (in the context of the Aussie tour) to try a completely new opener.

I would drop Ganguly just on his fielding inabilities. But my biggest trouble is there are many other younger players out there who are as pathetic as SG on field. RP, ZK they aren;t any better. And they are not outstanding bowlers. They are best what we have. Same goes for the opening batsmen. SRT and SG are best as of today and are doing great. I would hope that he could speed up his scoring a little bit and he is fine. Just by about 3-4 points. :two_thumbs_up: Go SG. I would drop pathetic bowler rather than consistent batsman.

Were any of you guys complaining when Yuvraj and Gambhir were scoring' date=for quite a substantial amount of time, at a SR of under 50 each? Yuvraj too was out plumb lbw (at the time he had scored something 26 off 51) and not given, and the aggressive Gambhir made 25 from 49, with a 2007 SR of 75. This is not meant to be an attack on those 2 but I am just saying that this whole thread smacks of hypocracy. .
would you agree there is a difference between opening the batting knowing 4 batsman to back you up incase you fail AND batting in 2nd power play with openers gone with only 2 more pure batsman to come. The first one is about creating a momentum second was firefighting.

Hoping and praying that Ganguly will get dropped/axed is going to be fruitless because he is scoring runs. The Bengal tiger metamorphosed into the Bengal Phoenix when he was dumped in 2005 and hasn't looked back since. India's greatest captain ever is going to go out on his terms.

Hoping and praying that Ganguly will get dropped/axed is going to be fruitless because he is scoring runs. The Bengal tiger metamorphosed into the Bengal Phoenix when he was dumped in 2005 and hasn't looked back since. India's greatest captain ever is going to go out on his terms.
Gavaskar also scored runs, 36 of them, remained not out as well, only he took a lot of time :D Ganguly will crawl at his inimitable 60-70 strike rate.
Gavaskar also scored runs, 36 of them, remained not out as well, only he took a lot of time :D Ganguly will crawl at his inimitable 60-70 strike rate.
fineleg, you'll do nothing but raise your BP by praying time and again for Ganguly's exit. Like I said, as long as he scores runs, he won't be going anywhere. :D

Indian Media are most screwed up media on this planet, for all they care they can sensationalize any news. Ganguly is far away from being dropped, he has played a role that has been asigned to him to perfection. If he was playing slowly and did not care about making runs, he did not have to step outside the crease and put straght sixes on perfectly good balls. To win matches we need good starts and SCG/SRT provide just that except when some ump[ires think that SRT is 6 feet tall and give him LBW for balls going 1 ft over the stumps.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:.... The inside story of Indian dressing Room... Ganguly is just earning enough to buy a single day's game... a sword is hanging all the time on his head...Lets see how long he survives.. Dhoni has openly critisized the slow opening in ODIs..when we Ganguly used to score 15 in 45 balls..in power plays..
Could you please provide a link where Dhoni openly criticised Ganguly's slow batting?