How good was sachin today?

Don

And he shouldn't. You're forgetting that he was one of the most successful batsmen in both the last two away tours. But let's not get carried away with this topic again' date=' although I expect same stats from some soon enough :dance:[/quote'] Successful in terms of numbers, maybe (depends on your definition of "success"). Those numbers weren't exactly outstanding although he did play a part in winning the series. I am just going by what i see - tell me, why doesn't he bat like this in Test cricket ? In Test cricket, Tendulkar has looked much more fallible. You can't deny this.
Successful in terms of numbers' date=' maybe (depends on your definition of "success"). Those numbers weren't exactly outstanding although he did play a part in winning the series. I am just going by what i see - tell me, why doesn't he bat like this in Test cricket ? In Test cricket, Tendulkar has looked much more fallible. You can't deny this.[/quote']Because you just can't go out there and attack in test matches. In fact I'm sure he'll play some handsome shots and get out soon, and then we know what happens with the fans and media. Yes he looks more fallible because he's not that aggressive anymore, looks more like a regular batsman unlike the sublime form like today, but as long as he gets good runs and contributes to the team's cause it doesn't matter much. He doesn't HAVE to beat the shi.t out of bowlers like ODIs. And again, just crunching numbers without any context doesn't mean much to me, so don't bother putting up the same old stats. Let's just agree to disagree.
Have been sitting on youtube for nearly an hour in anticipation of h/l. Will some muppet upload the highlights?!! Thanks. :D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yqRuk-ZW0k]YouTube - 4th odi - Sachin Tendulkar Wicket (india vs pakistan)[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m42bxvbLM2Y]YouTube - 4th odi - first 30 overs indian innings[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZV1A2bCjgM]YouTube - 4th odi - Shahid Afridi Wicket (india vs pakistan)[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqeMsLzUuUI]YouTube - 4th odi - Younis Khan Wicket (india vs pakistan highlights)[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eMGZ8WlORY]YouTube - 4th odi - first 15 overs(india vs pakistan highlights)[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-BUF62rReo]YouTube - 4th odi - Salman Butt wicket (india vs pakistan highlights)[/ame]
Successful in terms of numbers' date=' maybe (depends on your definition of "success"). Those numbers weren't exactly outstanding although he did play a part in winning the series. I am just going by what i see - tell me, why doesn't he bat like this in Test cricket ? In Test cricket, Tendulkar has looked much more fallible. You can't deny this.[/quote'] OK since then, his general form has picked up. His footwork is sharper, technique has always been solid, his timing is spot on, placement is excellent and he is still quick between the wickets. So since you go by what you see, can you see any reason why he cant convert this into his test form ?

I think he was no more spectacular today then he was in Match #2 or the couple of gems he played in the one day series against England where I believe he was out TWICE in the 90s. Even against Australia he looked great barring one game. Tendulkar's play in ODI for the most part has seen little to no slippage from his peak years(97-01). I'm not getting the "Tendulkar of Old" talk surrounding today's innings. There is no such thing as the "Tendulkar of Old" when he's playing one days. His approach hasn't changed at all over the years and neither has his production. Tests are an entirely different story though. Even though he's arguably been India's best player in that version of the game too this year.

I think he was no more spectacular today then he was in Match #2 or the couple of gems he played in the one day series against England where I believe he was out TWICE in the 90s. Even against Australia he looked great barring one game. Tendulkar's play in ODI for the most part has seen little to no slippage from his peak years(97-01). I'm not getting the "Tendulkar of Old" talk surrounding today's innings. There is no such thing as the "Tendulkar of Old" when he's playing one days. His approach hasn't changed at all over the years and neither has his production.
Second these thoughts. From the recent memory this wasn't one of his best ODI innings either for sheer stroke play or innovation. Tendulkar pretty much played all the tried and tested shots in this inning. The best inning I've seen recently is when he produced a blistering 90+ in the 6th ODI against England in England. That inning has deft touches, terrific timing, great placement, innovation (I still can't understand how he generated so much pace when he played the front foot sq drive with a flourish using the wrist) and at times brutal force. Nothing to take away from last night's inning but it wasn't one of the great ones I've seen from him. IMO the knock was more disciplined rather than awesome.
He doesn't bat like this in Test cricket.
True that. In the past two test series against SA & England, he has looked totally different than what he is in the ODIs. He has looked like he wants to Anchor the innings. I feel because dravid use to get out early he felt it was upto him to play the role of dravid which resulted in him cutting down a lot of his (attacking) shots which is totally different than what his natural game is and thats what made him look a lot more vulnerable. So, for Sachin to be his attacking best in the tests we need Dravid to be good form so that we can have some big patnerships from the RD-SACHIN.