India's Umpires, Commentators...The Pits

Dhondy

Suresh Shastri denied India a plumb LBW today and gave two shocking decisions against them- the first Gambhir was marginal, and should have gone in favour of the batsman, as pointed out by Bruce Yardley. The second, Yuvraj's was given out on Pakistan's contrived appeal, the umpire looking foolish and embarassed as the replay was played out on the big screen. That was the match. We had the game well in hand upto that point, and as the lower order demonstrated, it was there for the taking. On a mission to get into the elite panel, Shastri, but his incompetence was as glaring as the fat bloke in the last match who couldn't see that Butt was clearly not out. I hope India never have an umpire in the elite panel. These chaps are a disgrace to the game. The other madarkod in the match, commentator Shiva was telling Sohail that India should prepare turning wickets because Pakistan have "superior (pace) firepower". The bastard has obviously been jacking himself off with photos of Shoaib, Gul and Sami, while Sreesanth, RP and Zaheer have been regularly breaching 140-145 kph, and embarassing English and South African batsmen away from home, something only the injured dopey Asif has done for Pakistan. With friends like these, who needs enemies? The puny, malnourished modertoad wants us to stay with spin, so that Indian teams stay in the dark ages, like they did in his days.

Indeed. The umpires are a disgrace, the commentators even moreso. I routinely enjoy listening to good commentary - used to love TMS, tune in on ABC 702 Sydney/Grandstand regularly to hear O'Keefe and company, and have the highest regard for most of Nine's team (minus the ever pathetic Nicholas). Indian games at home are the only ones I usually watch with the volume turned way down and something else on in the background. Arun Lal, Siva, Manjrekar, - or in short, just about the entire lot minus Bhogle, Gavaskar and Shastri are downright disgusting to listen to, with their combined lack of understanding/knowledge of the game, various obsessions with pace/certain opposition players and bottom-of-the-barrel standards of journalism. Yet another reason I cannot wait for India to tour Australia. I will finally get to enjoy a Tendulkar knock or a Kumble bowling spell with the likes of Benaud, Chappell and Healy discussing it intelligently, rather than the ridiculous babbling from most of the commentators I have to suffer right now.

dont think the commentators are too bad but have to agree with you on the umpires, bunch of blind stupid ****s cant believe the amount of stupid decisions they've given i dont understand why they are still allowed to stand in matches there never has been a good umpire from india
Venkatraghvan

We must break this stupid tradition of having mainly commentators of the countries that play in that series to lend their voice. This is precisely the reason we have to put up with utter nonsense dished out from the likes Arun Lal, Atul Wassan, Arjuna Ranatunga, Zaheer Abbas, Mushtaq Ahmed and almost all of the Bangladeshi commentators. Oh how much i would like to hear the likes of Holding, Lawry , David Lloyd , Gower do the honors for the India-Pak series. Not only do some of these idiots posses pathetic command over the English language, but they dont even seem to know the basic rules of live commentary. I mean , yesterday , there was a passage of play when Arun Lal and Ramiz Raja were actually discussing about Ramiz's visit to the Ranthambore bird sanctuary , how it was a few hours drive away from the Jaipur and all crap. And whats more irritating is that these morons bring in their personal interactions into the commentary box. Agreed that within a commentary team itself , there will develop a good rapport between a pair commentators but dont they realize that the viewers wont be able to understand and appreciate such nuances ? To put it in short , the silly giggles , pulling each other's leg maybe fun for the commentators , but for the viewer ,its downright upsetting.

who the hell is that :sad_smile:
Swaroop Kishen - I've heard some folks mention he was good. I dont know for sure, thats why I asked. http://content-www.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/30627.html Swaroop Kishen died in Delhi, aged 62, from cancer. Swaroop' s service of having stood in 17 Test matches is an Indian record (shared with B. Satyaji Rao). His first was at Bangalore in December 1978, a match cut short by civil unrest. In the next, at Madras, he and colleague J. D. Ghosh were criticised for allowing far too many bouncers to be bowled while India and West Indies traded blows. A year later, at Bangalore again, Swaroop, his fellow umpire and the players had to throw themselves to the ground when swarms of bees raided the stadium. He saw at close hand numerous Test records achieved, many of them by Gavaskar and Kapil Dev, and not until his 13th Test, at Kanpur in 1983-84, did he officiate in a Test which India lost. At Calcutta, in the fourth Test of the 1981-82 series against England, Swaroop stood in a match which attracted almost 400,000 spectators throughout its five days, a world record. A further niche was carved at Bombay in 1983-84 when he erased any feeling of indecision felt by his colleague M. V. Gothoskar after an Indian appeal against Haynes for handling the ball. It became only the fourth such dismissal in Test history. With his huge girth lending him a Sydney Greenstreet profile, Swaroop Kishen was perhaps the most instantly recognisable umpire ever to take the field in a Test match, notwithstanding one or two extroverts of recent years, and a rear view of him was chosen to grace the dustjacket of The Men in White Coats (1987), Teresa McLean' s book on umpires and umpiring. Born on July 13, 1930, Swaroop Kishen Reu kept wicket and batted while at Delhi University. Trained in Law, he brought an analytical mind to his cricket as well as to his work in the Auditor-General's Office. Firm on the field (he once put Imran Khan in his place), he also had a sense of humour. It must have been useful as he rode his bicycle around town, `folds of flesh raping the vehicle' as one observed noted. Swaroop was also renowned as a chewer of tobacco. His last Test as umpire was at Bombay in 1984-85, when David Gower led England. He was awarded the Padma Shri for his services.
are you kidding?? that dude was terrible
na man.... he was rated as one of the best umpires
Venkat made his international umpiring debut in the One-day International between India and England at Jaipur on January 18th 1993. He made his Test umpiring debut in the same month, with the match between India and England at Kolkata. He gained a place on the inaugural International Umpire Panel when it was formed in 1994, and was selected by the ICC on a regular basis to umpire in test matches away from home as the neutral umpire. In 2002 the ICC created an Elite Panel of the top eight umpires, who were employed on a full time basis and would cover all Test match officiating. Venkat was duly included in the inaugural Elite Panel, of which he remained a member until his retirement in January 2004. That he remained among the top echelon of international umpires for the entirety of his career is testament to his umpiring ability. He was renowned for his bent-elbow gesture for out, and also for giving decisions very quickly. He was a stickler for the rules, but was not officious, and this was an important skill that brought him immediate respect. He was also very accurate in his decision making, and this too brought him the respect of the players and spectators alike. The highlights of his umpiring career include 6 Ashes Tests and appointments to three World Cups in 1996, 1999 and 2003. In both the 1996 and 1999 tournaments he was appointed to stand in a semi-final, and was the third umpire of the 1999 World Cup final between Australia and Pakistan at Lord's. In total he officiated on-field in 73 Test matches and 52 One-day Internationals during his career.
yuvraj decision was appalling. Cost us the game. Even robbed us of an "exciting finish".......
Ah, you see Holy, Shastri was not embarassed because of the major blooper, he was only embarassed because Yuvraj told him where the ball touched his sleeve, which anybody with half an eye could see anyway. Anybody but one eyed Pakistani fans, that is.
Ah, you see Holy, Shastri was not embarassed because of the major blooper, he was only embarassed because Yuvraj told him where the ball touched his sleeve, which anybody with half an eye could see anyway. Anybody but one eyed Pakistani fans, that is.
On another note, I really dont understand the sh!t about "Gentlemans game". This is India vs Pakistan,a matter of national pride.. and your incompetence costs me my wicket, and my team the game, I am not going to smile, say "Thank you, come again" and walk off. I still cannot understand why people are against technology! We would've had a much more exciting and close finish if we had tech available to umpires(being as one of the criticisms for tech is that it'll make the game "boring")