Yuvraj fined for 'dissent'

Prudent

Yuvraj Singh has been fined 20% of his match fee for "showing dissent at an umpire's decision" during the final ODI between India and Pakistan in Jaipur. Yuvraj was given out by umpire Suresh Shastri during India's chase, after he miscued a pull off Umar Gul to the keeper. However, instead of walking, an upset Yuvraj stood his ground, and indicated the ball had hit his shoulder and not his bat or glove. http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indvpak/content/current/story/321001.html

But Yuv was just bit surprised and he stood his ground little longer... his expressions weren't indecent or anything... anyway' date=' we were robed from another great innings. [b']Only if RS and YS had stayed little longer, say another 5 overs, that game was ours by all means.
If Afridi wasnt given out wrongly in 4th ODI, series result wud have been different.

I'd like to bring attention to the way Kumar Sangakkara responded to a disgusting decision while we was in the 190s. He just walked off even though he knew how bad a decision it was. I like Yuvraj and I think he's a good guy (not to mention a great cricketer) but his reaction was inappropriate (according to the laws of cricket and multiple precedents over the years).

There is a MASSIVE difference at being 188/5 in 35 overs , chasing 306 and being 360/8 chasing 500 odd. In the first case , Yuvraj had genuine reason to think he could have won the match for Ind , while Sangakkara was just riding his luck. Please dont make comparisons for the sake of it. The two situations are completely different and therefor elicited completely different responses. I am not justifying Yuvraj's reaction , but by comparing Sangakkara's and Yuvraj's decision , you are making it look as though Sangakkara respects the ethics of the game and Yuvraj doesnt ALL THE TIME. I am sure there would have been occassions when Sangakkara himself would shown dissent.

There is a MASSIVE difference at being 188/5 in 35 overs , chasing 306 and being 360/8 chasing 500 odd. In the first case , Yuvraj had genuine reason to think he could have won the match for Ind , while Sangakkara was just riding his luck. Please dont make comparisons for the sake of it. The two situations are completely different and therefor elicited completely different responses. I am not justifying Yuvraj's reaction , but by comparing Sangakkara's and Yuvraj's decision , you are making it look as though Sangakkara respects the ethics of the game and Yuvraj doesnt ALL THE TIME. I am sure there would have been occassions when Sangakkara himself would shown dissent.
The game Yuvraj played in was a dead rubber wasn't it? India rested several players. The series was already won. Sri Lanka weren't going to win the match against Australia but Sangakkara was on 192. You don't think he would be excited about a double century against Australia in Australia? And to say Sangakkara was riding his luck is an insult. That man was in control and playing a gem of a knock. It was any but "riding his luck."
The game Yuvraj played in was a dead rubber wasn't it? India rested several players. The series was already won. Sri Lanka weren't going to win the match against Australia but Sangakkara was on 192. You don't think he would be excited about a double century against Australia in Australia?
So what would you do if i bring up instances when Yuvraj was given out wrongly in some other closely fought matches/dead-rubbers and yet walked out without showing any sort of dissent ? As I said , criticize Yuvraj for his reaction, that is justified. But dont compare it with Sangakkara's. It doesnt make any logic at all. And to add on , it just sounds like a cheap attempt by you to highlight Yuvraj's dissent , now that you just saw Sangakkara's a bit more mellowed reaction.
And to say Sangakkara was riding his luck is an insult. That man was in control and playing a gem of a knock. It was any but "riding his luck."
From 150 onwards , Sangakkara was a wicket waiting to happen. He could have gotten out any time between 150 and 192. If you had seen the match , you will know what i am talking about. Dont confuse me alluding to the last 40-50 runs of knock as an overall generalization of his innings. His was a brilliant knock, but in the ENTIRE partnership with Malinga , he was taking chance after chance.

Whilst dissent is dissent I don't think that he should have been sanctioned because Yuvraj pointed at his shoulder after the decison was given and hence in no way influenced the result. What does really get to me is umpires giving decisons out when there MUST have been some doubt in his mind about whether there was contact with the bat or not. That said Yuvi didn't help himself when replays showed that just before the decision was given he was moving away from the pitch as if he was walking!

If Afridi wasnt given out wrongly in 4th ODI' date=' series result wud have been different.[/quote'] then tendulkar blitz in 4th ODI... would have been longer than 97 :hmpf: