Tendulkar autobiography

Lord

Too focused on his "on the field" exploits...but what else did you expect from a cricketer? Sachin does not obviously like to create a lot of new controversies.
That's the dichotomy of being Sachin. Whatever controversies he mentioned, people had complaints as to why he did. And otherwise, we say that he doesn't like new controversies. Having said that, the book is bland... It's not worth the hype unfortunately and most importantly, its poorly written.
Too focused on his "on the field" exploits...but what else did you expect from a cricketer? Sachin does not obviously like to create a lot of new controversies.
That's the dichotomy of being Sachin. Whatever controversies he mentioned, people had complaints as to why he did. And otherwise, we say that he doesn't like new controversies. Having said that, the book is bland... It's not worth the hype unfortunately and most importantly, its poorly written.
I'll reiterate - I would love for an autobiography of a cricketer to be focused on cricket. I am not looking for masala news which will ignite a quote war in the media and has no way of being substantiated anyway. What I want is insights into the mental and physical preparation behind the cricketing moments. The strategies, discussions, idiosyncrasies of roommates, adjustment of technique etc. Tendulkar's book offered very little there, and Waugh's book should be the gold standard as of now for these kind of ideas.

Pre-ordered the book couple of months back. Was hesitating to start, after reading the bad reviews. Finally managed to open it up on the weekend. I had already lowered my expectations, but 'author' still managed to surprise me (in a negative way :( ). Quality of editing/english is pretty poor. I agree with others, it would have been much better to focus more on behind-the-scenes, mental, preparation, dressing room, on-field anecdotes etc. parts of the game and not Sachin's version of score updates. Or perhaps that is another testament of his dedication/focus to batting, that his story-telling side didn't develop as much.

I'll reiterate - I would love for an autobiography of a cricketer to be focused on cricket. I am not looking for masala news which will ignite a quote war in the media and has no way of being substantiated anyway. What I want is insights into the mental and physical preparation behind the cricketing moments. The strategies, discussions, idiosyncrasies of roommates, adjustment of technique etc. Tendulkar's book offered very little there, and Waugh's book should be the gold standard as of now for these kind of ideas.
Looks like Steve Waugh is going to benefit most from Sachin's autobiography.
+1. I have read the Steve Waugh autobiography and you are right, it's the gold standard. Sachin's one does not cover any of the aspects what you have mentioned. there are fragments here and there but it is not detailed which is the dissapointing thing for me..

Sachin changed over the years. He started off as the most humble, sweet kid you'll ever find. By the mid to late 90s, all the adulation started to get to his head. By the time he finished his career, he across as nothing but selfish, self centered and narcissistic. I agree that Dravid, Sehwag, VVS were all more humble. Even The Prince of Calcutta, although arrogant as hell (due to his privileged upbringing) really seemed team oriented.

Sachin really hates Dravid and is so bloody selfish. Lost a lot of respect for him after reading this book It's ll about him' date=' his milestones,his 100s, f**k the team attitude. Dravid,Sehwag,VVS were real team men unlike this guy.[/quote'] I was surprised to see Tendulkar making no mention whatsoever of Dravid in connection with his narration on the English tour of 2011. Dravid was the only positive for India during that series and it was one of the best tours ever for Dravid, but not a single reference to Dravid. These two players obviously do not get along well in their personal lives.
Not a single reference to Dravid in the whole book?
There are many references to Dravid. What is disappointing though is they are largely limited to the cricket field which we've all seen. I would have been thrilled to learn about what they talked about in their long partnerships. Even if they don't get along on a personal level, if that was indeed the case, how would they prepare for a match where both knew they had a huge role to play together. Nothing on those lines.
There are many references to Dravid. What is disappointing though is they are largely limited to the cricket field which we've all seen. I would have been thrilled to learn about what they talked about in their long partnerships. Even if they don't get along on a personal level' date=' if that was indeed the case, how would they prepare for a match where both knew they had a huge role to play together. Nothing on those lines.[/quote'] He covered his partnerships with RD and mentioned their scores He mentioned RD's couple of performances, with scores obviously He mentioned how illogical was it to declare when SRT was close to a double hundred :giggle:
Sachin changed over the years. He started off as the most humble' date= sweet kid you'll ever find. By the mid to late 90s, all the adulation started to get to his head. By the time he finished his career, he across as nothing but selfish, self centered and narcissistic. I agree that Dravid, Sehwag, VVS were all more humble. Even The Prince of Calcutta, although arrogant as hell (due to his privileged upbringing) really seemed team oriented.
But he was never a nuisance to other people He never tried to kill young but threatening careers of other players He never behaved in such a way that Indian fans felt ashamed.. i could go on about the list of things he could have done and gotten away wit because of his star power and cult fan following bestowed upon the national hero. Players like Akhtar on the other hand saw about 1/10 th of success that Sachin saw, but behaved in a very obnoxious manner. It is very normal that success gets into your head. But how you handle it is the difference between a moron and a great person. Sachin is without any doubt a great person. Inspite of the demi-god status, his behaviour with young fans and less successful cricketers is pure class. You are right, but very harsh. Sachin's main fault is that he is very stingy when praising others. He gives a few ordinary lines like "LAra is a great player... Warne is a great competitor". You cannot expect him to say stuff like "Lara - I want my kid to play like sachin.... Warne- Sachin is giving me nightmares". When it comes to praise, he a stingy guy. He is like that. But that is hardly a major character fault. more like a tiny smudge on his great personality.
But he was never a nuisance to other people He never tried to kill young but threatening careers of other players He never behaved in such a way that Indian fans felt ashamed.. i could go on about the list of things he could have done and gotten away wit because of his star power and cult fan following bestowed upon the national hero. Players like Akhtar on the other hand saw about 1/10 th of success that Sachin saw, but behaved in a very obnoxious manner. It is very normal that success gets into your head. But how you handle it is the difference between a moron and a great person. Sachin is without any doubt a great person. Inspite of the demi-god status, his behaviour with young fans and less successful cricketers is pure class. You are right, but very harsh. Sachin's main fault is that he is very stingy when praising others. He gives a few ordinary lines like "LAra is a great player... Warne is a great competitor". You cannot expect him to say stuff like "Lara - I want my kid to play like sachin.... Warne- Sachin is giving me nightmares". When it comes to praise, he a stingy guy. He is like that. But that is hardly a major character fault. more like a tiny smudge on his great personality.
pretty much selfishness doesnt necessarily mean an embarassment
Okay, thanks for the information. Dravid mentioned his conversation with Laxman in the slips when he retired but even he did not mention what he and Sachin talked about. He did?
yes, he was upset and was given an hour to do it and he was close, the hour wasnt over, he wasnt on strike after being told that he had an over. He was upset and didnt talk, remained in the room, Rahul spoke to him and ..*dont remember if there was an apology** and they remained friends afterwards.
Okay, thanks for the information. Dravid mentioned his conversation with Laxman in the slips when he retired but even he did not mention what he and Sachin talked about. He did?
Dravid did mention that they did not talk much during partnerships anyways. I kinda feel they both are same kinda guys, reserved focussed and were pretty much self motivated so they talked only when needed. That's my guess though.