2014 World Chess Championship carlsen-anand

FischerTal

not sure what is embarrassing. He was in control of the game until the last few seconds. Carlsen lost to a much much lower ranked player early last year. should he retire too? Unless everyone else in the world beats Anand we cannot call it embarrassing. He is up against a world class opponent.
He lost to a player who wasn't even born when he started his career. That too twice. Humiliating.

Yeah, thats precisely why he got to retire. Gary Kasparov, the greatest ever chess player, retired at the age of 41.
he can play if he wants to and till he thinks he can compete this sounds close to me and not like he got destroyed even if he is not best so what ? i do not see how any one will be shamed here or how his playing effects anyone ...if its team game i can understand but what will any one gain if he retires ? :hmmm:

He lost to a player who wasn't even born when he started his career. That too twice. Humiliating.
Anand was just as good when he was young . If Tendulkar gets out to 15 year old guy he should quit? Anand can beat lot of 70 year olds as well :cantstop: What has got age to do with anything. It is not like your brain will keep on growing to infinity.

Only to some extent. You think all 22 year can beat VIshy? I don't think so. Carlsen won because he is good not because he is young.
its never like that its more like will 5 year younger anand beat this anand ? you obviously learn more things and have more experience but after a while advantages of experience diminishes and players retire

He's still there and thereabout. He won the candidates tournament beating out 7 other contenders. Just because he isn't World champion does not mean he should retire.
No nakamura, caruana or grischuk at the candidates. I don't think he stands a chance against any of these 3

i think this is a game where being younger is advantage or maybe i am wrong but there must be some prime period
I agree...Anand at this age has no chance of bouncing back..In chess as you age , your game goes down..Younger players have fresher minds and more open to new ideas.... I guess its the same with everything..Your learning or grasping capabilities decrease after a certain period...

I agree...Anand at this age has no chance of bouncing back..In chess as you age , your game goes down..Younger players have fresher minds and more open to new ideas.... I guess its the same with everything..Your learning or grasping capabilities decrease after a certain period...
Mentally you get weary easily when you get older. Infact that was the strategy of Carlsen team. Had a great career none of the Indian is ever going to have in the future. He can train future Indian stars from here on.

No he knows at this age' date=' he's well past his prime. Coming in second at the WCCwill get you atleast half a million dollars which is a lot of money in chess[/quote'] It is not like Vishy wasn't in advantageous position and Carlsen didn't make blunders. Just that Carlsen has a great team to take down Anand. I don't think that team will be effective when he faces other opponents.

Nielsen in Carlsen's team is bane for Anand.He was Anand's second for years and knows Anand inside out.Anand beat Kramnik Svilder Topalov etc but he struggles againist Carlsen.If Anand plays next year's candidate's tournament he will still give Grischuk/Caruana/Nakamura a run fir their money.Anand needed a better team of Seconds to take on Carlsen.

Anand was just as good when he was young . If Tendulkar gets out to 15 year old guy he should quit? Anand can beat lot of 70 year olds as well :cantstop: What has got age to do with anything. It is not like your brain will keep on growing to infinity.
If Tendulkar continued to get out to 15 yr olds then yes, it would be time for him to retrospect. And he did. He is clinging on to knowing he is past it. Perhaps for the money.

That is a hilarious argument. I was going to use the same analogy that vvslaxman already used. There is no humiliation in losing to a superior player irrespective of age. Just earlier this year he topped the candidates tournament beating out some of the finest GMs.

No nakamura' date=' caruana or grischuk at the candidates. I don't think he stands a chance against any of these 3[/quote'] He cannot control who he plays against. He can only play against the players who qualify. And he was very successful against those picked.

he can play if he wants to and till he thinks he can compete this sounds close to me and not like he got destroyed even if he is not best so what ? i do not see how any one will be shamed here or how his playing effects anyone ...if its team game i can understand but what will any one gain if he retires ? :hmmm:
I think he can't do that cause even though Im new I think chess is like boxing u have big ego geniuses and can't lose and maintain your legacy. It is brought down heaps and he can't continue on. Unlike other individual sports like maybe Tennis where losing would be just "part of the game" etc etc. That's feeling I get so he definately needs to retire now, doesn't seem like sport where "you did your best maybe next time" is good enough :nervous:

I think he can't do that cause even though Im new I think chess is like boxing u have big ego geniuses and can't lose and maintain your legacy. It is brought down heaps and he can't continue on. Unlike other individual sports like maybe Tennis where losing would be just "part of the game" etc etc. That's feeling I get so he definately needs to retire now' date=' doesn't seem like sport where "you did your best maybe next time" is good enough :nervous:[/quote'] I honestly do not know..why is it more like boxing and not like tennis ? :hmmm: Anyonw here knows age at which most chess players retire ?

I honestly do not know..why is it more like boxing and not like tennis ? :hmmm: Anyonw here knows age at which most chess players retire ?
Losing in chess gets to you more than other sports. That is my experience. You use your brain there all the time more than any other sports. It definitely has more sore losers. Some accidentally flips the board when they know they are going to lose :cantstop: http://www.chess.com/blog/billwall/sore-losers-in-chess