ICC Cricket World Cup 2015

StriKe

ICC Cricket World Cup 2015  

1. 1.

Tomorrow we witness the epic clash of the 2 neighbours or sister countries Australia and New Zealand.The tran-Tasman rivalry has the atmosphere of India-Pakistan or Ashes cricket. On paper Australia are superior with more talent and a better record.The likes of Finch,Warner,Smith,Clarke,Watson,Maxwell etc with the bat and Starc,Johnson,Hazelwood etc with the ball make them a stronger unit than New Zealand inspite of posessing a Mcullam,Williamson,Boult,Southee Anderson and a Guptill.Australia has significantly more batting depth and better all-rounders while the Kiwis have a slightly better attack if you consider they have a spinner in Vettori.What is the main dividing point is also the Australian level of professionalism.The Kiwis can hit the ball as hard or bowl as fast or accurately but do not match the Australian mental preparation and organization of attack. However if it comes down to star quality or heart New Zealand are very high.They have made their first final and a brimming with confidence.They also have the beating of Australia in this tournament.Defeating a powerful oponent like South Africa has boosted their self-esteem and set the ball rolling for matching strides with Australia.The fact that the kiwis won a hard-fought game against the Proteas boosted their semi-final preparation.The kiwis had more convincing win over Sri Lanka and have the honour of beating both the other favourites of the tournament. In the history of the world cup the only teams that were the best to win the title were West Indies,India and Australia.I don't think India in 1983,Australia in 1987,Pakistan in 1992 or Sri Lanka in 1996 or India in 2011 were the best teams in the final or the tournament.It was the form and exuberance of the teams on the day that enabled them to conquer powerful and more organized teams.In 1983 the Indian spirit won the day over the all-conquering West Indies,in 1987 it was the Australian morale that prevailed over a better English team,in 1992 it was Pakistan's match-winners and peaking at the right time that won them the game against a stronger English team while in 1996 it was Sri Lanka's correct strategic approach that made them defeat Australia.In this edition like in 1992 the Kiwis have been the best team in terms of performance.Winning a semi-final against a strong or fancied opponent is a tremendous morale booster.The example of the winners of the cup in 1983,1987 and 1992 are great examples.The history of one day cricket has been about upsets or reversals.The kiwis have a formula in defending run -chases and in chasing big targets.I remember the games in which the Kiwis have conquered the powerful Aussie team in O.D.I.s having a strong tradition of victories The form of some of the Aussie batsmen has not been outstanding like that of Michael Clarke or David Warner.They also lack a genuine spinner. For the game I would support New Zealand to win the final but still rate the game 70/30 in favour of Australia.The Kiwis are similarly placed to India in 1983,Australia in 1987 or Pakistan in 1992.Apart from England every side that made the 1st world cup final won the cup.My head says Australia,my heart New Zealand.