We will bat a bit more: Dhoni

jacky007

Vice-captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni on Monday said India will bat for a few overs on the fifth day in the second Test to set Pakistan a daunting total. "We'll bat a bit more tomorrow. Can't say exactly how many runs we need. It's not just a matter of runs. It depends on time as well," Dhoni said in Kolkata. India are currently in the driver's seat, having scored 141 for 2 at stumps, for an overall lead of 301 runs. But Anil Kumble and his boys are looking at the safety-first approach. "It's not about the total. To win this match you need ten wickets. So the score is not that relevant. But to be on the safer side, on a wicket like this, you would love to have fielders surrounding the bat. To have those extra couple of fielders close-in you need to have those extra runs. Then you can really attack and challenge the batsmen to play some shots on a fifth day wicket. That's the motive for batting a bit more tomorrow," the Indian wicketkeeper said. Dhoni said the Indian spinning duo of Harbhajan Singh and Anil Kumble hold the key on a roughed-up day five wicket conducive for slow bowlers. "Frankly speaking, we need only 10 balls to win the match now. So in a way five hours is too much time. We have to beat them in flight or with turn and bounce," he said. The Indian ODI captain refused to blame the pitch, saying, "This is a normal Indian wicket. It's just a bit on the flatter side and the lower side. It's not breaking up; its powder right now. If they bowl in the right areas it's tough for batsmen. Wicket to wicket it's not scuffed up, so the spinners will definitely have to use the rough. " "The wicket is responding a bit to spin. On the fourth and fifth days the game changes very quickly in India. It's possible that many wickets fall in a hurry and at times you don't get a single wicket in a whole session. It's uncertain," Dhoni added. India failed to get going in the final session on day four as Dhoni and Sourav Ganguly finished unbeaten on sedate knocks of 28 and 24. The duo tried to step up the scoring during their 46-run stand but could not, before bad light ended play early. "When they're bowling in the rough you never know how much it's going to turn or bounce and when the field is set defensively it's tough to score quickly. The ball was also soft. It's hard to go out there and look for sixes or fours," Dhoni said. "The spin is not really quick but if you can bowl in the rough it is turning and the bounce is not consistent. Some balls are turning more, some are turning less, to that's a plus for us," he added. Where on the other side Pakis thinking that "Draw will be a big boost: Misbah" Pakistan's batting hero Misbah-ul Haq says it will be a big boost for his team even if it can escape with a draw against India in the second Test in Kolkata. "I think, psychologically, [draw] will be a big boost for us. We lost the toss and batting second was not easy on the third and fourth day. "India batted in good conditions and put up a big total, so definitely the pressure was on us. It was not easy to score� to bat second in those conditions. "So if a team fights back in such tough conditions, the confidence level is boosted and that is what happened to us. If we manage to draw the Test, it will be good for us," said the 33-year-old at the end of the in the second Test. Misbah was responsible for Pakistan's fightback, as they rallied them from a precarious 150 for 5 to a competitive 456 in their first innings. The right-hander, who remained unbeaten on a magnificent 161, added 207 runs for the sixth wicket with Kamran Akmal, who scored 119. The 33-year-old chose to dedicate his maiden Test century to his son, who celebrated his birthday on Sunday. "It is a good thing to remember that I scored my first century on my son's birthday. So definitely it was special," he said. India lead Pakistan by 301 runs and Pakistan face the tough task of having to survive batting last on the final day. However, Misbah who is the highest scorer in the series thus far with 288 runs, says Pakistan will come out and play normal cricket on Tuesday. "In Test cricket you should not have a fixed mindset. As and when the situation comes you must deal with it. If the Indian team sets a target then we will go there and play normal wicket. If a situation develops, where our openers give us a good start, maybe then we can decide whether to chase the target or just play out the day," he said. He said his game plan when he came out to bat was quite simple: bat for as long as possible. "When you come to bat in the middle order at number five or six you have to bat according to the match situation. An experienced bowler like [Anil] Kumble was bowling on a third day's wicket which had broken a lot and it was difficult so you have to apply yourself. So I was only thinking of this when I was in the middle --- that I get a good ball then its fine, but I won't make a mistake," he said. "I think the wicket was helping the spinners a lot yesterday and today. Yesterday it was giving bounce and turn for Harbhajan Singh. The wicket definitely has turn but if a batsman applies himself and plays proper cricket he can score runs," the Pakistan batsman added. Misbah said the post-tea session on the third day was crucial and Pakistan did well to avoid the follow-on. "The session after tea on day three was important because the Indian team put a lot of pressure on us. That was a critical session. After that day, the morning session [on day 4] was crucial because anything could have happened if they had got the follow-on. We could have batted again, so those 2-3 hours that we batted was crucial," he said. The right-hander said there was nothing wrong with India's tactics as the bowlers tried their best. "I don't think so (that India lost the match tactically). They tried their best efforts with the ball. But the partnership between me and Kamran was also good. Every team fights back and that is how cricket goes on," he said. He also showered rich praise on Akmal, who was under pressure before this knock because of his poor showing with the gloves. "I think Kamran's innings was extra-ordinary; he played superbly." Asked about whether he still remembers his dismissal in the Twenty20 World Cup final against India, he replied: "I think T20 is over now." trans.gif Source: Rediff trans.gif

You guys are underestimating the pressure of a 4th innings chase in Ind on a 5th day pitch. Even if Pakistan is just 2 wickets down by tea, we could still win. Two spinners bowling in tandem, with 5-6 men around means unrelenting pressure and sooner or later, any batsman will succumb. And say we bat for 7-8 overs, add 40 runs and give Pak a near 350 run target to chase in 80 overs, we can attack them from ball 1, knowing that they wont go after us and even if they do, it will just increase our chances of picking up wickets. The only problem i foresee - The duo of Younis and Yousuf have had a quiet series so far.

MM, YoYo should NEVER be underestimated. By law of averages, they will fire big soon.
That is my fear too, given the fact that Yousuf was in good through the one-day series. Yet, i wouldnt lose my sleep over what an opponent is capable of. Even if its God ( and i mean the REAL God and not Sachin :D), all it takes is just one good ball to get him. Fact of the matter is, we reduced Pakistan to 150/5 in 30 odd overs on day 3, we can do the same and even better on day 5 I have faith that we can pull of a victory.

All you mugs, go to bed tonite. The pitch offers as much as the collective wisdom of Afridi's brain cells. Its gonna be a boooooring draw. India will bat 50 mins for 11 overs (Pakistan will slow the overrate) & score 50 runs roughly. That will give Pakistan 80 overs to chase down 350 (more realistically 75 overs, as 5 overs will lost to light). Pak will begin well, lose their openers & then shut shop. They will eventually finish at 225/5 Rameez Raja will have an excellent post match analysis ready on cricinfo by morning! The only downside of not catching the action live, is that you will all miss Arun Lal's gems as a commentator and analyst. But thats a small price you have to pay to save yourselves some sleep.

All you mugs, go to bed tonite. The pitch offers as much as the collective wisdom of Afridi's brain cells. Its gonna be a boooooring draw. India will bat 50 mins for 11 overs (Pakistan will slow the overrate) & score 50 runs roughly. That will give Pakistan 80 overs to chase down 350 (more realistically 75 overs, as 5 overs will lost to light). Pak will begin well, lose their openers & then shut shop. They will eventually finish at 225/5 Rameez Raja will have an excellent post match analysis ready on cricinfo by morning! The only downside of not catching the action live, is that you will all miss Arun Lal's gems as a commentator and analyst. But thats a small price you have to pay to save yourselves some sleep.
:hatsoff: u rock - that is EXACTLY what is gonna happen!! :cantstop:
How many of you listened to me ? My prediction: India will bat for 50 mins => We batted for around 45 mins. India will set a target of 350 => Actual: 345 Pak will begin well => Actual: 22/0 Once they lose both openers, shut shop => Once Akmal left, Pak played for a draw End score, 225/5 => Actual: 214/4 :D
How many of you listened to me ? My prediction: India will bat for 50 mins => We batted for around 45 mins. India will set a target of 350 => Actual: 345 Pak will begin well => Actual: 22/0 Once they lose both openers, shut shop => Once Akmal left, Pak played for a draw End score, 225/5 => Actual: 214/4 :D
bingo - good job bumper!