Tribute to Shahid Khan Afridi

Gollum

He is 39/40. His actual DOB is up for debate because they didn't have Birth Certificates in that tribal region at the time. But interviews in the past have made it clear he was actually 19/20 when he made his debut. Afridi's retirement and we all know it, is a great day for Pakistani cricket. However not so good for other teams. Finally Pakistan can select players on merit and nor false reputation and this will improve them leaps and bounds moving forward. What would you rather have bowl to the consistently failure that is Afridi, or someone who plays sensibly like for example Fawad Alam.
Afridi may go, but his legacy will live to haunt Pakistan. Shoaib Akhtar said recently that Pakistan team is full of Afridis now.

I dont know why people are obsessed with his age. Even if its 40 Mishab is the same age. sachin played till 40 so how does it matter. Afridi could have been a far better batsman but everytime he had a bat in his hand, team needs were thrown out of the window and he turned into an entertainer. He was good enough ODI bowler and numbers show that. I think the best part about him is he looked like a leader now he was a poor leader but still you knew he was in command as captain.

I dont know why people are obsessed with his age. Even if its 40 Mishab is the same age. sachin played till 40 so how does it matter. Afridi could have been a far better batsman but everytime he had a bat in his hand, team needs were thrown out of the window and he turned into an entertainer. He was good enough ODI bowler and numbers show that. I think the best part about him is he looked like a leader now he was a poor leader but still you knew he was in command as captain.
He was a decent bowler, and an entertaining bat. For much of his career, he was a decent fielder too. On the whole, a pretty useful ODI player.
Good enough ODI bowler? Prettty sure he averages close to 35+ against most big teams except England. Against Australia 33, India 60, NZ 42, SA 41, SL 37, WI 31. Those are bad, bad stats.

"afridi could have been a better batsman" is ignorance speaking... he was technically most inept when I saw him on tv..I was shocked..later as an experienced player he developed into useful bowler and some sort of technique. with his limited technique and limited range, it was in his interests to strike out...he may seem an idiot at times..but they were a result of his limitations ..he was never going to last long with defensive game and he stuck to his strengths..he is not as much an underachiever as ppl think

"afridi could have been a better batsman" is ignorance speaking... he was technically most inept when I saw him on tv..I was shocked..later as an experienced player he developed into useful bowler and some sort of technique. with his limited technique and limited range, it was in his interests to strike out...he may seem an idiot at times..but they were a result of his limitations ..he was never going to last long with defensive game and he stuck to his strengths..he is not as much an underachiever as ppl think
In my opinion he definitely could have achieved more. Average of 37 at strike rate of 87 in Test cricket is definitely not bad at all. In fact a higher average than the Indian legend Yuvraj Singh.
In my opinion he definitely could have achieved more. Average of 37 at strike rate of 87 in Test cricket is definitely not bad at all. In fact a higher average than the Indian legend Yuvraj Singh.
India considered Yuvraj a failure in Test cricket and dropped him from the ODI side as well. What did Pak do to Afridi? Made him captain and play 400 ODIs with a average of 23 in batting and 34 in bowling.
Who talks about SR in tests as a way of justifying selection :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: This is typical, well you know :cantstop: Yuvraj was one of the best ODI players ever. He wasn't a regular in tests and lost his ODI place once the form went. Not sure what your point was.
Misleading stats. he didn't have the technique to average 35+. bowling allrounder do not generally average more than 35 in the history of test cricket. that's precisely why we need large samples around 70- tests or more..there could be a lot of unreliable data up in smaller samples like 20- 50 tests. for example ponting had 4 years of golden form followed by average years later.hayden was failing in tests until 2001. larger samples takes care of all this different phases in player's career such correction didn't take place in his case as he is dropped too quickly when he is not effective in tests. ashwin too averaged close to 40's..not his real average....he is now down to 35 and that's where his real level is.