Jonathan trott retires from international cricket!!!

Shouldn't have been brought back imo, and I was saying that before the series. But a terrific player and servant to England when he was at his best. England's Dravid, if you don't mind the comparison. Hope Lyth grasps the opportunity he deserves now

I just don't understand the Trott love. So someone who was good for one and half seasons and living off it since, one who ditched his country stating some stress illness out of cowardice is now celebrated?
Disagree completely. If anything, he should be respected for standing aside when he realized he wasn't able to perform at the required level, as opposed to occupying a spot on the team without being able to contribute.
Shouldn't have been brought back imo, and I was saying that before the series. But a terrific player and servant to England when he was at his best. England's Dravid, if you don't mind the comparison
Quite a stretch, that comparison. His peak was short-lived, Dravid on the other hand performed long term.
I just don't understand the Trott love. So someone who was good for one and half seasons and living off it since, one who ditched his country stating some stress illness out of cowardice is now celebrated?
He could be depressed. If true, he deserves sympathy rather than derision.

I at first was in the "he chickened out like a wimp" camp but after the Phil Hughes incident, I don't blame him for walking away and protecting his sanity and life. I think relentless criticism of his inability to cope with Mitchell Johnson's bouncer barrage is the reason which pushed him over the edge. He probably thought enough is enough and walked away to protect his sanity and life. Mitch was a beast in that series and the SA series that followed. He scared and scarred batsmen with his well directed short pitched bowling. We were lucky the pitches were flat and Mitch had returned to his mediocre self or else we too would have been wrecked real bad.

I at first was in the "he chickened out like a wimp" camp but after the Phil Hughes incident' date=' I don't blame him for walking away and protecting his sanity and life. I think relentless criticism of his inability to cope with Mitchell Johnson's bouncer barrage is the reason which pushed him over the edge. He probably thought enough is enough and walked away to protect his sanity and life. Mitch was a beast in that series and the SA series that followed. He scared and scarred batsmen with his well directed short pitched bowling. We were lucky the pitches were flat and Mitch had returned to his mediocre self or else we too would have been wrecked real bad.[/quote'] And if we were wrecked real bad,our players will face the music from the press,fans and every where,in particular British Media will be all over our players..I have no sympathy for any English cricketer the arrogance shown by the British media on our players..How their players are so cute innocent sensitive souls that should be covered in cotton wool.
And if we were wrecked real bad' date='our players will face the music from the press,fans and every where,in particular British Media will be all over our players..I have no sympathy for any English cricketer the arrogance shown by the British media on our players..How their players are so cute innocent sensitive souls that should be covered in cotton wool.[/quote'] Indian media is all over English players when they can't play spin.
There is a very large mental impact caused by playing sports, especially at an international level. Calling mental weakness cowardice is ridiculous. It takes a lot of mental strength to even play at that level in the first place.
And if we were wrecked real bad' date='our players will face the music from the press,fans and every where,in particular British Media will be all over our players..I have no sympathy for any English cricketer the arrogance shown by the British media on our players..How their players are so cute innocent sensitive souls that should be covered in cotton wool.[/quote'] Good point. Our players get skewered by overseas as well as Indian media. Props to them for retaining their sanity and not falling apart.

Raina had issues with the short ball, but braved it to survive more than a decade in international cricket. Yet even now we make fun of him, - ironical that the same guys somehow put on sympathy coats in case of Trott. Kambli had a mental issue, but do we look at him sympathetically? Nope, we call him a failure.

At least Raina doesn't pack his bags halfway through the series leaving his teammates to cop the brunt of it. Seriously if you were a teammate you would be livid. You are either fit to tour or you are not. You don't go home mid tour unless you are injured!

The pressure is indeed enormous playing at that level. Long ago I remember reading an interview with Imran Khan. When asked about the pressures of playing for his nation' date=' he said that it was phenomenal and he needed plenty of pills to sleep every night. He also said that lesser mortals would not cope with that pressure and would burn out and fade away very quickly. Even the so called FTBs and trundlers we often laugh at, have enormous mental capacity just because of the fact that they can play and survive at that level. Trott is somewhat of an exception, he chickened out after reaching a high level (since he reached that level, he must have been mentally strong to begin with), but we don't see this often because most mentally challenged players never make it to that level, and even if they do they disappear very quickly. When we say that some players are mentally weak, it is only with respect to the high standard expected of that level. Most of them are heads and shoulders above the common man in this respect.[/quote'] I get it that every cricketer faces enormous pressure. What I don't get is that only in English cricket, we are seeing instances of mental breakdowns. Trott was not the first. Trescothik before him had similarly left a tour midway sighting mental illness. So, it looks like the English cricket setup is so screwed up that they don't even let their cricketers play the game as a sport, the way it is meant to be. I mean these people go to ridiculous lengths to control everything a player does on tour. Having special menus with recipes that players should consume is taking micro-management to a whole new level.
you have to hand it to him though a lot of our guys like bhajji etc have yet to retire from international cricket Trott is emotionally happy at Warwickshire, he has somewhere to be.
I respect the part that he walked away now when he realize that he could no longer play at the level required. Our cricketers would never do anything like that. They will drag a career as long as they possibly can. But, the question really is not what he did now, but what happened on that tour to Aus. If my memory serves right, I think he played just one Test, struggled in it and just ran away. He was doing well up until that point. It was only one Test where he failed. Did that cause him so much damage or was it the English cricket setup that really got to him?
Completely agree with you. The guy chickened out when England was getting battered. Came back to make some easy runs against WI but failed and retired. Why so much love for this coward :idunno: