Breaking news: Aus Tour selection [Merged]

talksport

Bhajjji hasn't really improved since he was dropped.. he did go to play country, might have improved by his bowling is just not good for test cricket @ this time.. Murali Karthik, regardless of him being successful or not, he should have been tried.. poor guy just had to sit in the dressing room in all 3 test matchas and then we see Kumble taking his class during the end of Indo-pak third test.. suchs for Murali Karthik really.. i hope murali karthik gets the chance back again when south africa tours India later..

Chandan..i knew about it.. but Ranji match is on 26-30..and he will only play 3rd test onwards... he must go there...he is one bowler...along with Sreesanth...who could have troubled aussie batsmen in australia... sad that he thinks so lowly of himself... but lets see..how he performs...
No. It is from 17th to 20 vs Saurashtra. I hope Munaf does well here. He is coming back from injury, afterall.

In case of Munaf, the problem is more at his mind than his ability to bowl. i am still angry with the way he bowled 120 kmph in the last test in south africa. he robbed VRV a genuine chance to do well and to some extent was a reason for us losing the test. he was so ineffective , where as VRV bowled quite well with out luck in the previous tests. he made a mockery of his selection and really made Dravid a laughing stock. if he declared himself fit and step on to the field, then the least he could have done is to run hard and bowl fast. he was running in as if he was walking on banana peels and bowled like Ganguly. for that we have Ganguly himself, why Munaf? (ok Team, I am Rajan, joined half an hour back, an old friend of Chandan and joined ICF as per her suggestion. u have the best stats man in Cricket forums and quite healthy level of discussion, a big thank you to Chandan)

ok, I am sorry if i am raising this topic now, if u had already discussed this earlier- our likely starting line up, barring new injuries,i would go for, 1.Jaffer 2.Dravid 3.Laxman 4.SRT 5.Ganguly 6.Yuvi 7.MSD 8.Pathan 9.Kumble 10.RPS 11.Zak No place for Harbhajan in MCG but he can play in sydney and adelaide later in the series. dont worry about 3 left arm seamers, when 3 right armers were in the team, no one found any fault. we need to bat deep down. traditionally we play poorly in the first test(last time could be an exception). But this time their fast bowling could be the best ever line up of this decade-Lee, Tait,Johnson and Clark.

In case of Munaf, the problem is more at his mind than his ability to bowl. i am still angry with the way he bowled 120 kmph in the last test in south africa. he robbed VRV a genuine chance to do well and to some extent was a reason for us losing the test. he was so ineffective , where as VRV bowled quite well with out luck in the previous tests. he made a mockery of his selection and really made Dravid a laughing stock. if he declared himself fit and step on to the field, then the least he could have done is to run hard and bowl fast. he was running in as if he was walking on banana peels and bowled like Ganguly. for that we have Ganguly himself, why Munaf? (ok Team, I am Rajan, joined half an hour back, an old friend of Chandan and joined ICF as per her suggestion. u have the best stats man in Cricket forums and quite healthy level of discussion, a big thank you to Chandan)
Hi Rajan, Glad that you've joined here! I think Munaf is a different kind of bowler who needs to be explained things a bit differently than other players but that is quite understandable since we know what background he has come from. The only pity is that our bowling coach Prasad, who is an Indian (often the gripe is that a foreigner doesn't understand our players' psyche properly) has not been able to explain things to him and we are wasting a talent which is quite rare in India. I just hope that he realises his strength himself and plays at least two tests bowling at full tilt. PS: Rajan, we have a thread discussing team and tactics for boxing day test, started by bharat. You can come there for further discussion.

Sure Chandan. By the way, Munaf has been having this problem for long. Sandeep Patil had given a very poor opinion about his attitude. SA tour was a fiasco for him he was selected on the strong recommendation of SRT but his speed has reduced from 148kmph to 130-138 now.thats sad. he is also a poor fielder.these days, u require the tail to bat a bit and stick around with the other batsmen. new bowlers are coming up.I am impressed with this Sangwan guy, playing for Delhi, he is too raw i understand, but Praveen kumar is decent with the bat and can hold his place in one dayers at least. he does not have much time left. he will soon find himself out for a long time out of the team if he does not improve his attitude.this guy breaks down every month literally.

Wow! That's an interesting piece of news regarding Munaf, Chandan. I don't think anyone denies he has the talent, it was evident on his debut and I was one of his vociferous backers for a long, long time. I also don't think he bowled too badly in the recent series considering he was coming off from injury. What I would like regarding Munaf is that he should be made to stay away from the rigors of international cricket for a few months and get some mileage under his belt in domestic matches, not to prove his talent but to gain match fitness.

Guest HariSampath
What makes anyone think Jaffer / Chopra is not a good combination??? Akash Chopra is a 'solid' player. I would compare him to the likes to Cook, and he brings in the added advantage of being a close in fielder. Honestly I don't think Pathan would do any worse than Sehwag as an opener If I was Akash Chopra I would give the finger to BCCI and start playing in ICL
But ICL won't have him
Guest HariSampath
Rajan, How the new ball bowlers come and fade within a year in India is no secret. Fast bowlers are worth their weight in gold and they must be looked after and understood properly. If not, then we're in trouble as always!
One answer: Kapil Dev. Probably the best ever fast bowler produced in India, he had played without break or injuries over a 16 year career, despite having to shoulder the bowling all the time on flat featherbed Indian pitches, and performing very consistently and winning games . Mind you, all this between 1978 and 1994 when we didn't have a team of physios, trainers etc.
One answer: Kapil Dev. Probably the best ever fast bowler produced in India, he had played without break or injuries over a 16 year career, despite having to shoulder the bowling all the time on flat featherbed Indian pitches, and performing very consistently and winning games . Mind you, all this between 1978 and 1994 when we didn't have a team of physios, trainers etc.
So? You expect every Indian bowler to be like Kapil Dev? If you do, then I don't have to say anything to you.
He was good to very good from 1978 till 1984. After the shoulder injury he was never the bowler he was, a trundler, he cut down his pace and was bowling line and length. He held his place because of 'invaluable' batting also. But his long career can be attributed to handling his abilities within limits of his capabilities. He was considered a spinner almost.
Guest HariSampath
He was good to very good from 1978 till 1984. After the shoulder injury he was never the bowler he was' date=' a trundler, he cut down his pace and was bowling line and length. He held his place because of '[b']invaluable' batting also. But his long career can be attributed to handling his abilities within limits of his capabilities. He was considered a spinner almost.
"limits of capabilties" ?? He was and still is the MOST talented fast medium bowler and allrounder for India... and also he had taken 240 wkts till end of 1983, and 190 odd wkts from 1984 onwards..so not too much diff considering in last 2-3 seasons he was getting older and obviously for a fast bowler cannot be that effective.

So, here is the news about Patel's chances of joining the team as 17th member: Patel may join team as the 17th member Maharashtra pacer Munaf Patel might still join the Indian Test team in Australia as a 17th member if he ...Maharashtra pacer Munaf Patel might still join the Indian Test team in Australia as a 17th member if he acquits himself with credit in the Ranji Trophy Super League. Severely prone to injuries, the 24-year-old was withdrawn from the Bangalore Test with back spasms, the latest in a long list. On Wednesday, after physio John Gloster advised more match practice for Patel before selection for international matches, the right-arm paceman was left out of the 16-man party. Maharashtra play Saurashtra in Nagothane from December 17, and Karnataka in Ratnagiri from December 25. Patel can try to convince the selectors that he can last the rigours of back-to-back games without falling apart. Alternately, it wouldn’t be unwise to spend a few days at the National Cricket Academy with Dav Whatmore before playing in Maharashtra’s last league tie against Karnataka. If he comes through unscathed, there is every possibility of him flying out well in time for the third Test against the Aussies, at the WACA ground in Perth from January 16, it is learnt. The thinking behind Virender Sehwag’s somewhat surprise inclusion once Gautam Gambhir was ruled out centred around his past success in Australia, as well as the need for someone to keep the score board moving. Like Wasim Jaffer, but even more doggedly, Akash Chopra is a conventional opener, unlike the flamboyant Sehwag. Jaffer and Chopra together in the middle could easily have resulted in little to show for time spent in the middle. Sehwag brings a whole new dimension; the toss-up between Sehwag and Chopra was always going to go the former’s way, despite his absence from the list of 24 probables. Gambhir’s injury isn’t all too serious. The left-hander has had a pain-killing injection, but given the big grounds in Australia, there is every possibility that he could aggravate the sore right shoulder in throwing from the outfield. One man’s loss is another’s gain. Now, the think-tank will hope Sehwag can make his lucky break count. ------------------------------------------------ So GIB was correct. It won't be possible before Perth. Well....

With Kumble, Dravid and Sachin in the team..i don't think there is any lack of guidance... its about the will power..willingness to work hard and be focussed... he is coming from such a back ground...that two things can happen.. 1. He is now satisfied and content with what he has got...which is way more than he could ever imagine..and now he is not hungry for more... 2. Lack of self respect... Lack of motivation.. afraid to fight ..fighting spirit... IMO Munna's problem is more in mind than in his body.... some one will have to increase his appetite for success...he has to be hungry for more and more.... I think some one should talk to his mother...his family should buck him up to raise his bar of performance.. ....