Kumble upbeat ahead of Australia tour

Siddarth Ravindran December 13, 2007 spacer.gif323663.jpg Anil Kumble is confident of a good show against Australia © Getty Images Anil Kumble is confident India can beat Australia in the upcoming series if the batsmen perform the way they did during the previous tour in 2003-04. Kumble, fresh from a 1-0 series win against Pakistan in his first assignment as Test captain, took heart from the manner in which Sri Lanka nearly chased down a target of more than 500 against Australia in the second Test in Hobart last month. "We have the potential to beat Australia because we have the batting line-up to put the runs on the board," he said during the shoot of a special television programme. "And once we have the runs on the board, I believe we have the ability to get 20 wickets." Kumble recently trumped Mahendra Singh Dhoni for the Test captaincy, after Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar had not wanted the job. "I thought the chance had passed me, I thought there was a chance when I was vice-captain in 1996," said Kumble, adding that he didn't expect to be made captain even as recently as two months ago. "When I became captain was not in my control, and I think it has come at the right time." In front of an audience which included many of his school teachers and college professors, Kumble said being handed the reins of the Test side was a great motivation. The 37-year-old Kumble, whose career contains 17 years and 121 Tests so far, revealed that he had contemplated retirement several times in the past and that Test captaincy was a "shot in the arm" . In a recorded message, Sourav Ganguly - India's most successful captain - hailed Kumble's leadership skills. "The first day in Delhi [ahead of the first Test against Pakistan], the team meeting summed up everything. Certain issues were addressed and from that point I knew things were going to turn out well." In a freewheeling chat, Kumble picked Shane Warne over Muttiah Muralitharan as his favourite spinner, termed his maiden Test century (at The Oval against England in June this year) as one of his career highlights, and mentioned that post-retirement, he preferred to take up coaching in Bangalore to touring as part of the media.

Kumble: We can beat the Aussies

New Delhi: Buoyed by the Test series win against Pakistan, captain Anil Kumble believes India have the firepower to beat Australia in their own den. Kumble, who notched up the series win in his maiden assignment as Test captain, said India’s strength lie in their batting line-up but they also have bowlers who can take 20 wickets. “We have the potential to beat Australia because we have the batting line-up to put the runs on the board,” Kumble said. “And once we have the runs on the board, I believe we have the ability to get 20 wickets,” he told a television channel on Friday. The 37-year-old leg-spinner said the captaincy came at a time when he had given up hopes of leading the side. “I thought the chance had passed me… I thought there was a chance when I was vice-captain in 1996,” said Kumble, adding that he didn’t expect to be made captain even as recently as two months ago. “The timing of my appointment as captain was not in my control, and I think it has come at the right time,” said Kumble, who recently pipped ODI and Twenty20 captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni for the Test mantle after Rahul Dravid had given up the job. Kumble revealed that he had contemplated retirement several times in the past and that Test captaincy was a “shot in the arm.” The veteran spinner said post-retirement, he would prefer taking up coaching in Bangalore to a media assignment.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1071215/asp/sports/story_8671754.asp

Kumble reflects on the series gone by and talks about the challenges that are coming up: A very tough, long tour ahead When I look back at this final Test and the series gone by, I'm looking at something special, from a professional and personal perspective. Knowing that we've beaten Pakistan in a Test series here after 27 years is very encouraging. I also know it could have been 2-0 and that would've been nicer, but a series win is a series win, especially ahead of an all-important tour like Australia. Plus, I think we pretty much domi- nated throughout. One problem perhaps, was that the surfaces we played on were very slow. We've generally had a result in Kolkata and Bangalore, so this time, possibly the weather, the onset of winter, the change of surface in Bangalore, they all played a part. Still, we almost got a result in Bangalore and would have if the weather had not intervened. There's been some criticism of the timing of the declaration, but, as people always say, hindsight can be a wonderful thing. If you knew in advance that the clouds would cover the stadium and there would be bad light, things may have been planned differently. Also, the way the wicket and the wickets crumbled on Day Five was something. In addition to that, there have been some other special moments. The partnership between Dhoni and Laxman in the first innings in Delhi; The quick five wickets late on Day Three at the Kotla; Wasim's brilliant double hundred in Kolkata, so assured that you felt like he was batting at nets; obviously, Yuvraj and Sourav's knocks in Bangalore. All in all, though it has been an enjoyable experience, there really hasn't been enough time to take it all in. In two days, we leave for Australia and a very tough, long tour It's getting tougher in international cricket because of the workload, especially on bowlers and it is a concern we need to seriously address. See the way international cricket is paced now: There is a bare three days between games, of which one is spent travelling, one practising and just one resting, you really don't have enough time to celebrate the moment, nor brood over what you've lost. It's a little disconcerting. At the same time, we need to iron out some things. At times, we were unlucky, at other times, there were moments we should have grasped - like when Pakistan were eight down in Delhi and five down for 150 in Kolkata - and didn't. They will all go down as missed opportunities and, against the Australians, we can't afford to miss any chances. While the onus is obviously on me because of my experience and its vital that I contribute as a player and as a captain, against Australia, we will need to do the kind of things we did here - when different people stood up and contributed through the series. Like how Ishant, only yet a teenager, picked up a fiver in his first Test in India. Or how Souray, vastly more experienced, continued the form of his life. This, along with how our other batsmen are shaping up, bodes well for us ahead of Australia. There's been some talk about who will figure in the XI, who will open. It's a happy headache when you have people competing for places, and I'll take those decisions when I go there, have a chat and discuss it with the rest of the players. On a final, personal note, it's been a special series settling into being India captain. Initially, it was a bit tough to take all what an Indian captain needs to do but it was interesting. Later, that final day in Bangalore was somewhat chaotic - interacting with the media, trying to focus on the game, knowing the selection was happening and thinking of the next tour and the timing of the declaration, managing assorted things. Now though, it's more peaceful. I'm getting the hang of things and looking forward to whatever lies ahead. --------------------------------------------------------- Good to know at least captain's point of view through his column!

Chandan, True views will not be known. Most captains will say the right things. Real views can be known when they write books after they retire.
I think these are the real views. Obviously a captain will not reveal the reasons behind a controvertial selection or any such incidents that have happened during or after match. But I think Kumble is a bit more straight forward than what Dravid was. I used to like Ganguly's column a lot too. The only person whom I've not heard through columns is Sachin and even if he would have getting one ghost-written, I'd have never believed anything. So in a way, it is good that he doesn't/didn't write.
‘Last time we came close, now we can do it’ K Kumaraswamy, Hindustan Times Email Author Mumbai, December 17, 2007 First Published: 01:50 IST(17/12/2007) Last Updated: 02:01 IST(17/12/2007) DropShadow_BotLeft.gifDropShadow_BotRight.gif Doing an encore is always a hard act. But captain Anil Kumble believes that the Indian team can match its performance on the previous visit to Australia when they go Down Under for a four Test series. In fact, the skipper sees no reason why India can’t beat the world champions and clinch a rare series own in Australia. “That’s the aim. I believe we have the potential to do the job. Last time we came close to winning the series, and we are confident we can do it this time,†Kumble said on Sunday, on the eve of the team’s departure. The Indian team faces a few hiccups as it readies for the tour of Australia.Injuries have kept a few key personnel out of the series. Replacements are either raw or not in the best of form. And once Down Under, the team has just one warm up match to assess the conditions before taking on the world champions. But Kumble preferred to be positive. On the team having little time to getting adjusted to the conditions there, Kumble said, “If we look at the quality we have in the team, we have the experience to do those adjustments. At the international level, it is now a prerequisite. I think the potential we have will help. “In team discussions, we tell the players that the one factor we take out of our gameplans is the conditions, the pitch and the weather,†he added. Kumble felt Virender Sehwag, who has not been among runs, should have his confidence up merely from the fact that he has been recalled. “We have shown the confidence in him. He is a quality player, but we will make a decision after assessing the team combination and conditions once we reach there,†he said. So, it has not been decided yet as to who will open the batting with Wasim Jaffer, Sehwag or Rahul Dravid. “We still haven’t thought about any combination,†Kumble emphasised. The Bangalorean had similar thoughts about Ishant Sharma and Pankaj Singh, the two inexperienced seamers coming in for Sreesanth and Munaf Patel. “Ideally, yes, it is a short setback. The quality of those two (Sreesanth and Patel) will be missed. But then, it is an opportunity for Ishant and Pankaj,†he said. “We have the experience of Zaheer and RP (Singh), and Irfan (Pathan) has played in Australia. Ishant is very promising, if the way he bowled in Bangalore is any indication.†“And Pankaj is an exciting prospect. He is tall and hits deck. There is no better place than Australia to perform for him.†Kumble would not like his team to be distracted by the talk about the Australians being without Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath. “Australia have always been a tough opposition. In terms of quality, this team is no different from any other they have had before. __________________________________ Our best wishes to the team and every player!!
I am only bothered about our strategy: Kumble Posted : Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:06:02 GMT Author : Ashis Ray Bangalore, Dec 17 - Indian captain Anil Kumble played down Glenn McGrath's suggestion that Australia should play four fast bowlers against India. 'I am not interested in their strategy,' he said on the eve of the Indian team's departure to Australia and added: 'I am only interested in our strategy'. So, what will the Indian strategy be: 'This will be decided,' the veteran wrist spinner went on to say, 'after assessing the situation on arrival in Australia.' Responding to media reports that Australia are devising a plan to 'get Tendulkar' early based on computer analysis provided by former Australian coach, John Buchanan, Kumble laughed. 'Something new, it seems, looking forward to that,' he remarked sarcastically. He quipped that bowlers had failed to prevent Sachin Tendulkar from scoring 11,000 runs in Test cricket. India's new skipper admitted Sreesanth's quality and extra pace 'will be missed'. But he added that injuries are a part of the game and expressed confidence in the players who have been picked. Kumble is clearly banking on his experienced middle order batsmen -- Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly and V.V.S. Laxman -- who between them, he reeled off, have nearly 35,000 runs under their belt and are 'familiar with conditions in Australia'. He was hopeful Laxman will have recovered from his elbow injury before the 1st test at Melbourne, starting on Boxing Day (Dec 26). Laxman has three Test centuries to his credit and averages nearly 60 in Australia.
Responding to media reports that Australia are devising a plan to 'get Tendulkar' early based on computer analysis provided by former Australian coach, John Buchanan, Kumble laughed. 'Something new, it seems, looking forward to that,' he remarked sarcastically. He quipped that bowlers had failed to prevent Sachin Tendulkar from scoring 11,000 runs in Test cricket.
:haha: nice comeback... WTG Kumbles...:two_thumbs_up:

'Bat first, put pressure on them' MUMBAI, Decenber 17: They say too many cooks spoil the broth. But do they really? The Indian cricket team will find that out very soon in Australia when they play a Test series. In all there are six former cricketers (including coach-designate, South African Gary Kirsten) in their support staff. While some may believe that there could be an overlap of information, team’s assistant coach Lalchand Rajput begs to differ. "Gary will join us for the third Test match (Perth, Jan 16-20) only. Moreover, manager Chetan Chauhan is there. We will use all the inputs,' said Rajput. Apart from the six former cricketers in the support staff, the biggest strength of the Indian team according to Rajput is the combined "wealth of experience' of the senior players. "Together they have played around 500 Test matches. That, coupled with the talented youngsters, makes our side a good combination of youth and experience. It is a good mix,' Rajput told TOI. Apart from Rajput and Chauhan, India’s support staff has Robin Singh (fielding coach), Venkatesh Prasad (bowling coach), and MV Sridhar (assistant manager and former Hyderabad player). So what is the recipe to beat Australia in Australia? Rajput spells it out. "Bat first and put up runs on the board. Only then can we put pressure on them. We will then also be creating a lot of opportunities for our bowlers. Batting is our strength, but am sure during this series one of the younger bowlers will come up. Zaheer Khan has done well in England and RP Singh is improving every day. We have quite a few choices in the bowling department and I don’t think there will be too much pressure on Anil Kumble and Zaheer.' Rajput has been tracking the conditions in Australia and has been told by some that the pitches in Melbourne and Sydney are definitely on the slower side. But, despite the state of the pitches, the former right-hand batsman believes the Indian team would have to be relentless right through the Test series to come out on top. "In Test cricket every session is important, plus you have a chance to come back. That is not the case in One-dayers because a couple of bad overs and the game is over. Our added advantage is that we are going to Australia with a win under our belt. Batsmen like Sourav, Yuvraj are in good nick.' Rajput also dismissed suggestions that India will struggle to adjust to the Australian pitches. "The pitches will be different, but today’s cricketers play a lot everywhere, they get adjusted to conditions quickly," he said. http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Bat_first_put_pressure_on_them/articleshow/2629636.cms

InterviewsWe are better prepared now: Ganguly TNN / Chandresh Narayanan MUMBAI, December 17: He is truly back in vogue. Despite a delayed arrival in Mumbai on Sunday evening, Sourav Ganguly followed it up by attending the BCCI’s awards function and then agreed for six TV interviews in a span of just one hour. Suddenly, it seemed like yesterday once more for the former India captain, India’s man of the moment after emerging Man of the Series in the Tests against Pakistan. Ganguly had an even more packed schedule before he left for Australia with the Indian team on Monday morning. He signed up with an upcoming news network, squeezed in a 7:30 am promotional shoot and finally managed to find time for an interview with TOI. He claims he is not missing anything. Not even captaincy? "No, no, I have had my time. No more. Anil is doing a terrific job," he said. Excerpts... In 1991-92 you went on your first tour to Australia. What do you remember of your first-ever international tour? Sixteen years (smiles) yeah...I was young then. I was picked in a team with huge names, Kapil Dev, Vengsarkar, Manjrekar, Tendulkar, Shastri, Prabhakar. So you know it was something different for me. Just a 17-18-year-old among greats, so I was a bit awestruck. Then in 1999-2000 you went as vice-captain, in 2003-04 as captain and now you are going back as a senior player. You have been to Australia in different roles. How does it feel going back? I think this is probably the best team which has gone to Australia since I started playing. Last time we did pretty well, but we did not have much of a bowling attack. Zaheer, Harbhajan were not fit. We just had Anil Kumble, who did a fabulous job right throughout the series. This time we are going better prepared. If Sree Santh would have been fit then I think it would have been complete. But I think now we have a very good chance to do well. Can this Indian team do one better than your side of 2003-04, when the series was drawn 1-1? I really hope so. Australia are without Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne, two of their greatest bowlers. But they will be a tough team, they have Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson. I am sure Brad Hogg (left-arm spinner) is going to play because all good Test teams have good spinners. It is going to be tough but if we can put runs on the board I think we can really push them. What is different about this team, does it have an X-factor which earlier sides didn’t have? It is just the quality of players and the confidence of having won overseas earlier. In the last six-seven years we have done wonderfully well. Winning in West Indies, England, Pakistan, levelling in Australia. We have done well everywhere. Getting to the World Cup final in South Africa (2003), winning the Twenty20 World Cup. These are tough places for a subcontinent team. And India have done better than any subcontinental team in these countries. So, from that point of view, I think it is the knowledge of doing well overseas which will help in Australia. What’s the reason for India’s overseas successes since 2000-01, especially after you took over as captain? What’s been the big change? First of all it is the quality of players that’s the most important thing, because you have to perform. Then it is the confidence and desire to win. We wanted to change that statement of India being good only at home. John Wright (New Zealander, former India coach) also played a very important role in that, trying to make the boys believe that we can win overseas. Was this feeling missing in earlier teams or on your debut tour in 1991-92? I won’t say it was missing, but we didn’t win much then. I am sure every team that leaves Indian shores wants to win. But somehow it did not happen. You are playing your 100th Test match in Australia (Melbourne, December 26-30). A big moment for you... It is definitely a big moment in my career. When you play cricket you don’t think you will reach 100 Test matches, but I am happy to be there. What’s been the highlight of your career through these 99 Tests? My first Test. It will always be special. Then becoming captain, winning that Test match at Kolkata against Australia in 2001... these moments will always be special. But a year back all this did not seem possible. You have proved a lot of people wrong. What drove you then? Just the need to play for India, nothing else. The feeling was I want to succeed at that level. Just the thought of doing well, when you walk out to bat in a Test match or a One-day game and you get runs... that evening you feel good about yourself. The feeling was I belong here. http://cricket.indiatimes.com/We_are_better_prepared_now_Ganguly/articleshow/2629640.cms

Team banking on batsmen: Tendulkar PTI NEW DELHI, December 17: Echoing the views of captain Anil Kumble, Sachin Tendulkar said India would bank heavily on its batsmen to come out trumps in the Test series against the mighty Australians in their backyards. "Obviously we will need good totals. The more runs we get the better it is for our bowlers," Tendulkar said, adding India should pick the best eleven instead of thinking much about the senior and junior ratio. Before leaving for Australia, Kumble too had put the onus on the batsmen to shine and give the bowlers enough runs to defend. On his fourth, and perhaps the last, visit Down Under, Tendulkar said he is looking forward to the challenge of facing the Aussies, who will be armed with a new bowling attack after the exit of the illustrious duo of Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath. "I am looking forward to the Australian tour. It will be a challenging and exciting one," Tendulkar told a private news channel before departing for Australia. About his recent habit of succumbing in the nervous 90s, Tendulkar said he was not too much bothered about it as sometimes he fell to dubious decisions too. "I am not allowed to speak all this, but sometimes a few decisions have not gone in my favour. This is part and parcel of the game. On a few occasions, it just happened. But it does not matter, what matters is whether India wins matches or not." On the rumours about his retirement from One-day cricket, which had created ripples during the England tour, Tendulkar said, "I want to put an end to this. If I decide something I will let you know. Right now I am enjoying my game." http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Team_banking_on_batsmen_Sachin/articleshow/2629285.cms

Kumble won't shy from challenge, say coaches AFP SYDNEY, December 17: Anil Kumble won't back down from a challenge on India's tour of Australia and has a positive attacking attitude, former coaches of the two teams said on Monday. India tour here from late this month and Kumble has the task of leading a winning touring side to Australia for the first time since the West Indies' victory in 1991-92. Former India coach John Wright and his former Australian opposite John Buchanan believe Kumble, 37, is a calm, determined man who plays to win and will not be swayed by Australia's likely attempt to put him off his game. Wright, who coached India from 2000-05, said the 121-Test leg spinner had the experience, temperament and tactical nous to do a good job. "I think he's a good choice as skipper," Wright said on Monday. "He's fiercely determined ... I wouldn't like to fight him, put it that way." "He doesn't back down and I like his attitude because he looks to attack with the way he captains". "The one game he did with me (a One-day win over England in 2002), I was very impressed with his outlook, which was very positive." Squad members Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid have all captained India, but had problems maintaining their individual standards while leading the world's most-watched side. India arrive here on Tuesday and begin their tour with a three-day match against Victoria, starting on Thursday, before the first Test starts on Boxing Day. Buchanan, who retired as Australia coach this year, said Kumble was not only a match-winning bowler, but a good thinker of the game who commanded respect. "He's their best choice, no doubt about that," Buchanan said on Monday. "He's a very humble sort of person, but he's a man who's quite determined. He presents as the right captain of this side, I think he has the respect of the older group -- Ganguly, Tendulkar and Dravid -- but also the younger players think he's the right person at the helm." "He will find it a testing time of his captaincy capabilities but my view is he's a pretty astute sort of person, a pretty resilient guy and pretty impervious to outside distractions." Kumble, who is third on the list of Test wicket takers behind Muttiah Muralitharan and Shane Warne, recently led India to a win over Pakistan in his first series as skipper. http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Kumble_wont_shy_from_challenge/articleshow/2628479.cms