Indian Bowling attack down under

DesiChap

Our bowling is a bit green: Prasad

New Delhi: Indian bowling coach Venkatesh Prasad is confident his young new ball bowlers can adapt quickly to bouncy Australian pitches after toiling on flat tracks in the home Test series win over Pakistan this week. He said the tour starting next week would push the players but the team was confident thanks to their recent wins and bowling consistency in varied conditions. “It is going to be a very challenging series Down Under,†Prasad said on Friday. “It will be exciting competition and all the players will be pushed to the limit in terms of technique, tactics, mentally and physically.†India leave on Monday for Australia to play in a four-Test series starting on December 26 followed by a one-day tri-series also featuring Sri Lanka. India are on a high after a one-day and Test double over Pakistan but their pace attack is injury depleted. Among the five chosen, only left-armers Zaheer Khan and Irfan Pathan have played in Australia while young left-arm R. P. Singh missed the Pakistan Tests through injury. India are hoping they can at least repeat their performance on the last tour in 2003-04 when they drew the Test series 1-1. Ishant Sharma, 19, is two Tests old but took a five-wicket innings haul in the drawn final Test while Pankaj Singh, 22, is uncapped, although their height could prove handy on bouncy pitches in Australia. “Our bowling is a bit inexperienced,†Prasad said “We might have played on flat tracks but I’m very confident we’ll be ready to adapt because they have done it before.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1071215/asp/sports/story_8671753.asp

If Prasad cannot get Munaf sorted out' date=' he must be sacked. Sreesanth, RPS & Zaks dont need a coach. Munaf does. WTF is Prasad doing ?[/quote'] I think they all need coaches. Seriously, we have the potential to be the no.1 bowling attack in the world, through are swing bowlers, similar to Pakistan in the 90s, however we lack the consistency to hit the same spot over and over again and be patient. I am not sure Venkatesh is the right coach. I was dissapointed with a comment he made a while ago when he said "You can't practice consistency". From that moment, I have had a low opinion of him. Consistency in a match, as far as I am concerned, ONLY comes from consistency in practice and training. So if he is not making his players practice consistency then we need a new bowling coach. Can we please hire Glenn McGrath? Or Wasim Akram?
I think they all need coaches. Seriously, we have the potential to be the no.1 bowling attack in the world, through are swing bowlers, similar to Pakistan in the 90s, however we lack the consistency to hit the same spot over and over again and be patient. I am not sure Venkatesh is the right coach. I was dissapointed with a comment he made a while ago when he said "You can't practice consistency". From that moment, I have had a low opinion of him. Consistency in a match, as far as I am concerned, ONLY comes from consistency in practice and training. So if he is not making his players practice consistency then we need a new bowling coach. Can we please hire Glenn McGrath? Or Wasim Akram?
Wasim Akram would be the best option as a bowling coach. Waqar too can be considered if available. But Pakistan media and fans would not take it kindly if they coach india :D, last time there was an uproar when Akram helped out Pathan and Zak, in nets, when he was in australia on a commentary assignment. The guy has vast knowledge, probably the best practitioner of left arm fast bowling and an exponent on reverse swing.i was listening to his remark on Ten sports after kolkotta test was drawn, he showed how zak should have bowled on that pitch, which grip he should have used, where he should have bowled, what would happen if the ball was pitched in that place with this grip. we missed out on a win on a 5th day pitch in kolkotta and bangalore because we did not have the services of some one like Him. possibly India would sign up Bruce Reid like what they did last time. he is good, he has knowledge and experience in local conditions,but he has his own limitations. let us see.

Bowling down under There has been plenty of threads debating what our batting line up should be. But given that we will be facing an attack lead by inconsistent lee, couple of express but new to test cricket bowlers, i am confident that our batsman will do well. What i am worried about is our bowlers bowling at the below line up Jaques Hayden Ponting Hussey Clarke Symond Gilchrist Jaques maybe a new kid but scored heavily against SL. Apart from Hussey, every single one of them has scored against us in past . If we get a batting track i feel we might end up seeing a repeat of 2 and 3rd Indo-Pak test. Team wins toss, scores 500+ , team batting second first avoid follow on then comes close to matching 1st inning score, both teams settle for draw. Realistically do we have bowlers to get 20 Aussie wickets. Kumble and Zaheer have been there before , have saved games but never won us a game, RP is good but cant see him run through this line up, who ever will be the 4th bowlers unless it was sreesanth, i dont expect much from him.

Realistically do we have bowlers to get 20 Aussie wickets.
Since you said "realistically" speaking... Even with full attack of Sreesanth, ZK, RP Singh and Kumble - this is tough one. Now, even more difficult since we are not full strength attack, and ZK+RPS may have minor niggles...

How our bowling attack looks, will depend entirely on how our batting performs. If our batsman can pile up huge scores, our bowlers can exert pressure on them. If our batsman fall cheaply, then our inadequacies in bowling will be accentuated. The last time we were there, we had Zak, Agarkar, Nehra and Anil. This isnt exactly a great attack either, but the batsman covered up for them. The Aussie batsman will make lots of runs this around too, but its upto our batsman to stand up to the challenge.

Id say Zaheer, RP and AK certainly in ... as for the 4th bowler ... I dont think Pathan offers anything different to Zaheer and RP in the bowling department, but he does provide us with an extra batsman. I dont believe in picking bowlers on their batting ability though. So for me it is either Pankaj Singh or Ishant Sharma. Which of those 2 is more likely to trouble the Australian batsman. I am leaning a bit more towards Pankaj at the moment, as he can move the ball away from the right hander.

what are you talking about....rp is the most demon fast bowler we've ever had.....he can own the aussies with his bounce with that quick arm action....i rate him second after zaheer (zaheer only wins because of experience, but rp is far more talented and skilled than zaheer)...sreesanth isn't even fit to wipe rps shoes

^ I don't know if RP Singh is far more skilled and talented that Zaheer. They both can swing the ball both ways, they both can get some good seam movement, RP is quicker but Zaheer is more accurate and can get the yorker in nicely. RP's best series to date was England, and I dont think he out-performed Zaheer, although both did really well. I am a big fan of both of them, but I dont think RP is far more talented. They are both very good bowlers.

Zaheer in his current avatar is not the quickest one around but shows a tremendous reading and understanding of the game situation and his own game. He knows very well what kind of bowling will be effective in what conditions and against which batsmen. The long county season in addition to improving his fitness has made him a smart bowler too. The disappointing bit is that if he had shown this attitude and commitment earlier in his career he would have been at this level a good 2-3 years before. RP Singh and Sreesanth have more fire power but it will take them a few years to become intelligent bowlers. It takes time for quality fast bowlers to develop.

The absence of Sreesanth has reduced our potency by atleast 40%.... he has shown tht, when he is all fired up, he can hurl at 145-148 kph, tht is as good a reply against the likes of michelle and Bread lee.... having said tht, i dont know how fit RP is, considering he sat out the whole test series at home.... he could return fitter or rustier.... if he does return fit, he can crank it up to a nice 142kph with decent accuracy.... the bottom line is , our batting needs to perform 40% above our potential or someone like Ishant or Pankaj needs to step up way above what thy have displayed so far to outplay them... i have the hopes though....