Rohit Sharma Appreciation Squad

based on tontee-tontee and ODI's :hysterical:
Not really. This was the first match of the WC I watched and the pace attack was pretty good on a bouncy track. It wasn't the runs he scored, but the manner in which he batted and you could see there was a gulf between his class and technique compared to the others. For starters he was the only batsman on display who actually moved inside the line of the ball while playing the hook or pull. It might be T20, but the quality of bowling was 10 times better than anything in IPL which seems to be the latest benchmark for selections on ICF. Remember, he has scored a century against Lee, Johnson, Clark, and Siddle in FC as well in addition to doing well in Australia CB series. He lacks the perfect temperament, but that can be inculcated. He has all the ability and shots though.

anyone who thinks Rohit is not test class , knows absolutely nothing about cricket . forget he avgs 27 in odis or hes wasted his opportunities in shorter formats , he should be the first among the youngsters to make it to our test team. like it or not , hes our future no4

Saaaar ' date=' this guy is UV Part-II ... infact if my reading is anything to go by ... will be a bigger(read fatter ) prima-donna and will keep milking that CB series success forever. He will eventually get into the test team and will not avg more than 40-45ish. Time will tell.[/quote'] I would jump on to a 45 average replacement as long as those runs are not padded by huge runs on flat beds. If he can make meaningful contributions in tough situations a 45 average test batsman is not a bad prospect at all. We have been spoiled by the Tendulkars and Dravids. Laxman averages around 45, but makes meaningful contributions in tough situations and there is no doubting his pedigree. Ganguly, Azhar, Viswanath, Vengsarkar, Amarnath all averaged in the mid 40s but made good to very good contributions to Indian cricket. The best we have been able to muster till now is an averaging 35 Yuvraj till now. Having said that, cricket prediction is no science and you might be right about his attitude and the associated downfall. But of all the young batsmen on view Sharma and Kohli give me the biggest hope.

the only problem i see is his attitude at times.. gets too lazy .. but the class is there.. has delivered lot of times under pressure.. i almost think that he likes it when others are falling around him so that he can deliever it..

anyone who thinks Rohit is not test class , knows absolutely nothing about cricket . forget he avgs 27 in odis or hes wasted his opportunities in shorter formats , he should be the first among the youngsters to make it to our test team. like it or not , hes our future no4
this is true,fortunately or unfortunately.he will get his chances in tests,i wouldn't hold my breath about him succeeding though.the really good ones have the "want",they really want to succeed at the highest level.rohit has not shown any of these characteristics.
Not really. This was the first match of the WC I watched and the pace attack was pretty good on a bouncy track. It wasn't the runs he scored, but the manner in which he batted and you could see there was a gulf between his class and technique compared to the others. For starters he was the only batsman on display who actually moved inside the line of the ball while playing the hook or pull. It might be T20, but the quality of bowling was 10 times better than anything in IPL which seems to be the latest benchmark for selections on ICF. Remember, he has scored a century against Lee, Johnson, Clark, and Siddle in FC as well in addition to doing well in Australia CB series. He lacks the perfect temperament, but that can be inculcated. He has all the ability and shots though.
absolutely right prof. Rohit is actually is most talented batsman in India right now....in his shots range and the time he has to play actual fast bowler enough to suggest his class and ability as a batsman...bt the thing he lacks in is intent..sometimes he does not know wt to do...this is more related to temperament..which Virat Kohli possess, but kohli does not really have that ability...
:headshake: by the time he had played his 45th ODI Boss already had 4 Test hundreds (all away from home ) These included the 4th inngs 119* at OT , 148 at SCG , 112 at Perth and 111 at Jo'Burg ( not to forget the 59 at Faislabad and 88 at Napier ) all against some of the best speed merchants that there ever were. So what he did in ODIs was just side-masala which BTW included a Man of the match performance against Padosees in the 92 WC. Blasphemy indeed so I prescribe you an hour of Bossopadesh to wash your sins :P And I think I have stumbled on another Boss stat ... I dont think any player has scored his first 3 test hundreds away from home (never mind 4) ... will have to double check :D
See, I am not comparing Rohit to Tendulkar for starters. With that out of the way, Rohit has not played any tests at all, so to bring in Tendulkar's test record is irrelevant for the purpose of comparison. All I can say at this point is that Rohit and Kohli look to be the closest long term test match bets and it makes little sense to discard the guy on the basis of his till date mediocre ODI record, for a lot of great batsmen, in fact the greatest of our era have had mediocre starts to ODIs. As I said in another thread, I'll be more than happy if Rohit can be a Laxman forget about a Tendulkar or Dravid. So if your point of contention is that he will not be as good as Tendulkar and Dravid, you are preaching to the choir and we have little in disagreement.

First and foremost, if the only definition of class is going to be a player has to be able to stand comparison with Sachin Tendulkar and come out with his head held high then India may take a couple of more centuries before we can make an all time Classy Indian Alltime XI. So lets not confuse the issue by pointless comparisons. Second, if we are going to denounce an obvious talent because we can not see beyond what we want to read into the statistics of a young career, we deserve the spurious talent we get landed with. I am not going to vitiate this debate by who I am referring to. That Rohit Sharma is a classy batsman is for all to see. Thank God the selectors do not select sides based on what goes for cricketing-punditry on the net. Yes Sharma has lacked consistency. What we need to ask ourselves is whether that is something that has never happened to bright young talent before. The job of a good selector is to be able to see through the good innings and bad and be able to see which is a "lambi race ka ghoda". From all indications Rohit appears to be from that category. Mind you I said indications for that is all these are at this moment but they are very powerful signals. The selectors of India are not the only ones who think so. Most people, including players, current and former, from other countries find Rohit a special talent. We need to persevere when a player like this comes along and nurture him through his early breaking-in period. This does not mean playing him irrespective of form loss and continuous failure but to have him constantly in sight so that he keeps getting opportunities when they come up. This is an important part of the job of the selectors, captains and coaches of international sides, not just picking sides for the next game. It can happen, although I dont see that as such a distinct possibilty as some here sem to have made up their minds about, that Rohit will finally fail to deliver in the long run but so far, inspite of his up and down record, nothing in his game has suggested that this is the case. Selectors and those who know the game look at this as much, if not more, than just stats. . . and thank God for that. The public has a very strange way of picking favourites and once they have done that they stick to them for as long as they possibly can without opening themselves to universal ridicule. Invariably players like Yuvraj Singh become crowd and public favourites and then they can do no wrong. Even when they fail and are dropped(ifrom the Tests in Yuvi's case) it is soon forgotten and the clamour starts soon enough to bring him back. This very site has seen Yousuf Pathan being called God. Whether he is God does not even require a comment. Pakistan took very long to drop Afridi from the pantheon - some still havent and are waiting for the second coming of the messiah. And Afridi WAS God if compared to Yousuf Pathan. Players like Rohit Sharma must not go into a self imposed shell or try to change their natural play because of undue pressure of expectations. That is why he must not only be persevered with but he should be broken in at the very top level slowly. Every player matures at different times in their lives. Some very early and others a bit late. The 'handlers' of young talent in Team India must be able to realise this and handle them well. The same applies to someone like Ishant Sharma. The hype we built around the young man has done him no good. We can do even worse by giving up on him. Really good talents are not as easy to come as Lalit Modi will have you believe. When you get them you need to nourish them and not go over board in either direction.

the only problem i see is his attitude at times.. gets too lazy .. but the class is there.. has delivered lot of times under pressure.. i almost think that he likes it when others are falling around him so that he can deliever it..
Yes that would be a fair assessment. Whether it is laziness or an inabilty to concentrate over long periods. Many players are able to concentrate when conditions and the going is/are tough but when they are on top, they lose it. Hopefully it will change. It is not a good thing that India plays most of its domestic (and even the international cricket) on batsmen friendly wickets. They tend to make the batsmen a bit over confident. You can almost tell where a batsman comes from by looking at the cavalier (or lack of one) in his approach to batting. There is a need for those wanting to play at the highest level to spend a few season early on in the English county season. It does tend to sober down the batsmen - it does a lot of good to the bowlers as well.
Please calrify evidence of laziness and bad attitude? i.e missed traing sessions etc. Or are you just doing internet judegemnets based on nothing at all or as many seem to do which is mistake his languid relaxed batting style as bad attitude. The labels people throw on players like lazy and bad attitude based on nothing at all is remarkable. He is just turned 23 and people call him not consistent, lazy , bad attitude balah blah. He is sensational talent. The most talented bat in world cricket and will deliver BIG TIME IN TESTS!!!! Don't look at cricinfo stats(although if you did you can see he does do well as well) or nternet theories on his personality which have no factual evidence whatsoever. USE THE CRICKET EYE. This guy bats with unbeliavable time at the crease, wonderful technique and all the shots in the book with power and style. He is just 23 and will get BETTER AND BETTER. Mark my words this guy is gonna be a legend!!!