Should India bowl first if we win the Toss?

fineleg

Pitch may have early juice, and our inexperienced pace attack needs the early help they can get. That plus our batting has not gotten accustomed yet. If Aus win the toss on a juicy pitch, their bowlers will have a go at us, i think thats what ponting will choose. Any thoughts on what we shud do if we win the toss at MCG.

absolutly not. win toss bat first score atleast 400' date= then PRAY our bowlers produce something special
That may be the issue jf1gp...Aus fast bowlers can exploit the pitch early on day1, and can leave our top order tottering. Then we cant get to 400. Thats why I'm contemplating if we should bowl first. Plus, we give some assistance to our rookie Indian fast bowlers.
We did not score heavy against Victoria XI' date=' and you dismiss main Aus bowling as crap :confused_smile:[/quote'] wasnt it raining most of the time??prob. gloomy conditions and all.... its tuff to get going if we keep having interruptions.. we shall rape lee, hogg, etc etc ;)
That may be the issue jf1gp...Aus fast bowlers can exploit the pitch early on day1, and can leave our top order tottering. Then we cant get to 400. Thats why I'm contemplating if we should bowl first. Plus, we give some assistance to our rookie Indian fast bowlers.
yes but how long do you think the pitch will remain lively couple of hrs. our bowlers havent had a chance to bowl in aus. given how poorly we start a series even after having played side game i dont see us bowling well in first session. If aussies get off to a flier this game will be all about us playing catch up. best bet is us batting well and let aussies do the catch up.

The only way we can put pressure on the aussies is through our batting. We need to bat first and score big. If we let aussies bat, they will dictate the terms? Remember the world cup 2003. They will bat like that. score really big and put us under pressure.

Bowling first means India has to CHASE (duh!!). On other hand, Batting first means..Aus will CHASE...So its die and die situation for team India. My point is, don't give importance to the toss. Play your best and give us the BEST Christmas gift Team India :((

It might rain on one of the days, so if we bowl first there is a chance that we might not have to bat for a long time in the 2nd innings, so a bigger chance of a draw and that will be a good result for India. Of course if our bowling lineup ends up giving 550+ runs in the 1st innings itself, then we will be in big trouble.

Hussain - 2001. Inzamam - 2004. Chanderpaul - 2005. Jayawardhene - 2007. Need I say anything more?
Hutton - 1954. Won the toss with Frank Tyson, Alec Bedser, Brian Statham and Trevor Bailey in his attack. Bowled. Australia had 500 on the board in two days and won by an innings and 154 runs. One of the most convincing starts to any Ashes series. [bTW, the Hussain cockup was in 2002, not 2001.] India cannot even think of bowling. Besides, the key strengths to the side now are the batting (with some huge scores in the last few games, a lot of batsmen high on confidence with runs under their belt) and Kumble's bowling, with Zaheer/RPS somewhere between injured and 'fit, but not match fit, and out of practice'. Only way to back that up is to bat.