Should India bowl first if we win the Toss?

fineleg

we cant just take weather in to play bez there was rain threat in baglore in last test between IND vs PAk and nothing happen. sp here also we cant say that its going to rain so bowl first and then we dont have to bat much for 2nd innings....i would say that if we win toss then y cant we bat first....we are scoring then taking wickets if we take the ratio of it....plus our batsman are in good form and its not going to be a green wicket so i would say bat first and put some good numbers on the board....

Hussain's was particularly blunderous. He had 2 openers in form - Tresco & MV - and a less than fearsome bowling attack (I'm being kind). To insert a formidable batting side with this attack - Caddick, Hoggard and Jones before they'd made their marks in Tests and Craig White, on a fine, sunny day, must surely have brought smiles to the faces of the Aussie batsmen. Stumps, day 1: 2/364 (Ponting 123, Hayden 180 n.o.) :regular_smile:

Donny: But England did bat first in the 2nd test' date=' and they lost that as well badly. The truth is that whether we bat first or 2nd, we need to put up a 400-450+ score. [b']I think it will be easier to do that in the 2nd innings especially with Warne not around.
you are forgetting, Lee's pace and India's tendency to collapse in 4th inn :nervous:

India's only chance is if they bat first. Yes the aussies have the bowlers to exploit the conditions ... but our strength ... supposedly is batting. If we bowl first, against the aussie batting ... they will absolutely, definitely score 500 ... and then we will always be looking down the barrel. Win toss bat first ... hunker down for the first 2 hours ... lose at most one wicket. And then you can score later. With four fast bowlers the aussies are bound to get tired if we can push them. The key would be to play a 120 overs. If we can bat for that long ... we will be in a relatively safe postion.

i say bat bat bat just take into the consideration of aus vs sl game where jaques didnt score off of 40 balls they didnt lose a wkt for a while and they made 400+ y cant we do that especially since jaffer and dravid opens and we can always push for runs when we have yuvi gangu dhoni and laxman and anywayz i do not trust our bowlers to get the breakthrough in the morning we just cant take the chance

perhaps d best gameplan india should definately bat first no doubt aussie pace attack is strong but dravid n jaffer must go thru d initial session carefully our strong batting order can get us runs on the board and hopefully rp singh and zak can get some early break throughs there is a possibility that india may not b able 2 chase, thus batting 1st is a better option

I think it depends on the conditions. You just cant have a mentality that we will bat or bowl first' date=' without discarding the conditions.[/quote'] No matter what the conditions we don't have the bowling and Australia have the batting to put up a minimum of 400 runs in the first innings because Kumble is not going to be a first day factor. After that we will always be chasing the game.
what if the batting crumbles and we get all out for under 200 in the first innings.. That will really put a lot of pressure anyways.
If it happens, it happens. Tough luck, we lose. But if I were to choose between our batting lineup putting up a challenging 300+ and between our bowlers bowling Australia out for less than 300, it's a no brainer as far as I am concerned. Add to this we should always be looking at bowling Kumble in the last innings. He is our best bowler and our only viable option to dismiss Australia twice and needs to be given conditions most suited to him.
If it happens' date=' it happens. Tough luck, we lose. But if I were to choose between our batting lineup putting up a challenging 300+ and between our bowlers bowling Australia out for less than 300, it's a no brainer as far as I am concerned. Add to this we should always be looking at bowling Kumble in the last innings. He is our best bowler and our only viable option to dismiss Australia twice and needs to be given conditions most suited to him.[/quote'] 300+ score isn't going to get it done, we need 400-450+ scores to have any chance of not losing the match.