Lack of power hitters costing India

sandeep

Any ideas about Vijay Shankar bowling. He was given enough opportunities with A team against SA A & Aus A.

I found his bowling very unimpressive. Batting looked okay, fairly solid, but nothing special. Anyway, if he gets near the international team, it should only be in Tests - too slow a batsman otherwise.

No but you don't have to drop Rahane or Pandey. We're buiding up bench strength so that requires rotating players. Even our top 3, as good as they are, need to have matches off otherwise they'll burn out. We should be trying Mayank Agarwal say for one or two matches (maybe in less important series') and look to build up their international cricket exposure. 

I forgot Mayank Agarwal. Seems to me that he'll do rather like Dhawan - purple patches and lean runs. One could also try Baba for the opening, I think he did that for TN this year in List A?

What would you judge him on? I'm just curious - I don't think the SMA trophy is good evidence.

More matches. He is a promising cricketer. Even if he doesnt do anything spectacular in these t20, it shouldnt be end of the road, or enough to be judged. I will give him as many matches till t20 wc. Need to bring iyer and deepak hooda into the foray too.

Aparajith had promised so much when he first entered the scene. I thought that India had found its ODI batting allrounder - he still has a solid List A record, but there's too many top and middle order options these days.

Aparajith is still very young. Not every young cricketer reaches his potential at the same time. Some early, some late. Though aparajith was never much ofva bowler. Just a part timer.

More matches. He is a promising cricketer. Even if he doesnt do anything spectacular in these t20, it shouldnt be end of the road, or enough to be judged. I will give him as many matches till t20 wc. Need to bring iyer and deepak hooda into the foray too.

Iyer should have had chances in all 3 formats by now, if possible. I presume Hooda, if he plays, would be as a batsman who bowls a bit since he's not really even a batting allrounder (except in List A to some extent). Baroda has plenty of interesting candidates who were, or might be, part of the Indian team and other good FC players - strangely, they don't always gel together - Pathan bros, two Pandyas (other is a T20 slogger), Hooda, Bhatt and Swapnil Singh

I found his bowling very unimpressive. Batting looked okay, fairly solid, but nothing special. Anyway, if he gets near the international team, it should only be in Tests - too slow a batsman otherwise.

Vijay shankar can change gears. He thrashed SA A bowlers in one of the A matches they played.

Iyer should have had chances in all 3 formats by now, if possible. I presume Hooda, if he plays, would be as a batsman who bowls a bit since he's not really even a batting allrounder (except in List A to some extent). Baroda has plenty of interesting candidates who were, or might be, part of the Indian team and other good FC players - strangely, they don't always gel together - Pathan bros, two Pandyas (other is a T20 slogger), Hooda, Bhatt and Swapnil Singh

Hooda should bowl more in domestic. He can be a handy bowler in LOIs. He used to be a really good bowler in u19.

Any idea about Amir Gani.He was also in the same u19 team

Did pretty well in this Ranji season with ball and bat, albeit on helpful conditions. I haven't seen him bowl since the U19 days, but back then, I liked him far more than Kuldeep Yadav. Gani has also done well in the SMA in general, as seen from his excellent T20 stats.

Batted a bit lower down the order, and threw his wicket away too often. All in all, didn't have a bad season but not a good one either.

T20s, a young players will always be up and down as they are still learning their games. You don't expect them to bat like seasoned players. Exceptions can do but not too many. I have no problems till they are showing glimpses of their potential every now and then and not fading away completely. If they are good, consistent match winning performances will come too when their games mature.