Indians hit by racist chants on Boxing Day Test day 2

Desi Cartman

AUSTRALIAN cricket fans racially taunted Indian supporters at the MCG yesterday despite Cricket Australia's zero-tolerance policy. And police and security staff did not eject any fans despite the Australian supporters shouting "Show us your visas, show us your visas" at their Indian counterparts and being within metres of the potentially explosive incident. Indian fans spoken to by the Herald Sun described the chant as "offensive, ugly and racist". One said the chant created "a potentially explosive situation". They were backed by Australian fans who said that those responsible should have been thrown out of the ground. "That is racist," said Heath Robbins, 22, of Geelong. "It is attacking a person's country and they should be kicked out of the ground as they should for any offensive behaviour to any other people," he said. The Herald Sun was interviewing Mr Robbins and his friend Kirk Matheson, 20, who were in the old Bay 13 area when the chant went up. Up until the chant began, there had been good-natured banter between the two groups but the Indians' mood changed when the "visa" taunt started. More than 100 Indian supporters sat stony-faced and silent during the chant. Numerous supporters said they were offended by the taunt, branding it racist. "Everyone feels offended when they are attacked on the basis of their residency or where we came from," said an Indian supporter, who asked not to be named. Another said: "It is racist and yes we are offended. "It is really lucky that it stopped and nothing happened because it was an explosive situation. "Besides, we have Australian residency and we are Australian citizens." Cricket Australia officials and police investigated the incident, with extra security staff and police being dispatched to the old Bay 13 section. Insp Bob Hill said a police senior-sergeant was sent to the area to investigate the incident. "The Indian fans interviewed said they were not offended by the chant so there was no need for anyone to be ejected," Insp Hill said. Cricket Australia spokesman Peter Young said no action could be taken against those involved in the chant because it was not reported to police or security, despite them being within metres of those responsible. "Police have confirmed the chant took place and conducted extensive interviews with both Indian and Australian supporters and they did not find anyone who was offended," Mr Young said. "But we urge anyone who considers comments to be racist to report them to police and security staff. Racism is in the eye of the beholder." Mr Young refused to brand the visa taunt racist, despite the Herald Sun telling him several Indian supporters had been offended. The incident follows a promise by Cricket Australia that racist taunts would not be tolerated and that those using them could be banned from the MCG for life. It also comes after two men dressed as Indians became the first victims of the anti-racism campaign on Boxing Day when their sign -- which said "Supporting India from every corner of the globe", accompanied by a 7-Eleven logo -- was confiscated by police. Some 63 people were ejected from yesterday's crowd of 44,691. Another eight were arrested for being drunk and two charged with assault on another patron. This follows 113 ejections and 11 arrests on the opening day. This is the reason I dont go to the MCG anymore :finger:... I have been there for few games and its not pleasent when someone sitting next to u calls Indians "Black bastard" or "coolies" ... Pretty sad ..

I'll probably ask them about what their ancestors did that they were sent over here without a visa
..LOL, try that in MCG But I guess with them, they are used to it and its part of their humor, I really don't know what ticks them off so in my opinion, some Indian should take a VISA banner and display it. They will probably get bored of it and get back to their Victoria Bitter Above strategy is helpful when you are not large in numbers, different story when you have a lotta company crowd to retaliate with ..to be fair, what do Aussies have? How does one tease them without bringing aboriginals and convicts in there

i know but they all get drunk at the cricket and then just get too abiusive .. do u remember during the last adelaide test ACB wanted a small skit from one of the comedian dressed as Gandhi ............. in a diaper. The indian team objected to it officially and the show got cancelled. Thats the reason I am planning to get out of here in next few years as I dont see any respect for people who arent white. Especially they pick on Indians cuz they think all indians pull rickshaws & dont get enough to eat everyday. Curry muncher is term widely used for Indians here..........

i know but they all get drunk at the cricket and then just get too abiusive .. do u remember during the last adelaide test ACB wanted a small skit from one of the comedian dressed as Gandhi ............. in a diaper. The indian team objected to it officially and the show got cancelled. Thats the reason I am planning to get out of here in next few years as I dont see any respect for people who arent white. Especially they pick on Indians cuz they think all indians pull rickshaws & dont get enough to eat everyday. Curry muncher is term widely used for Indians here..........
I actually planned to settle there way back in 1999, I got a letter from Canadian Uni as I was stepping outta the house to finalize my Aussie prospects. Frankly, I was more tempted for the cricket I had few friends who studied there ( and these were not your political, religious, down to earth Indians ), they were hardcore party people and they also mentioned racism issues but they loved Australia anyways

I had few friends who studied there ( and these were not your political, religious, down to earth Indians ), they were hardcore party people and they also mentioned racism issues but they loved Australia anyways
You dont face racism everyday here but every now and then there is something. I have a lot of Aussie friends and they are welcoming and very warm but some of the people you see on the street or see at the cricket are mean and they say those things just to put u down. I dont understand why people would call you a "coolie" for fun.

Guest HariSampath
Its fairly easy to retaliate against Aussies as far as racist/inflamatory chants go- remember, their history is fairly new and amazingly gruesome. There were some young Aussies( late teens-20s is my guess with a few older folks) in the GM place a few months ago, watching some hockey ( my guess- passing time before embarking on Alaska cruises which all depart from Vancouver and a lotta Aussies show up for it in the summer/fall). Canucks were playing the Blue Jackets and the Aussies were poking fun in a racist tone against Manny Malhotra- who i think is the only 'ethnic desi' in NHL. Saying stuff like ' Indians are into hockey! hahahaha..they play contact sports ? pffft....hey curry power eh ?' ..i put up with it for the entire first period (they were sitting 3 rows above me, same part of the stadium) when i finally had enough during the intermission, turned around and said ' Oi, Aussies- mate, shot any aborigines lately or raped their women ? grandpa hasn't taught you kids that yet eh ? maybe he still thinks you'll need to man-up before he teaches you the family tricks? Pity only the civilized Europeans came to Canada and the yobs went down under, eh?' That ended it all- they got all red faced, made a few 'sod off mate!' comments & i got peals of laughter from my friends- who were all white Canadians in that game, along with some backpats. But not one word from the Aussies after that and they even left before the third period was over. As i said, it isnt that hard to get under the skin of the Aussies when they get all racist and abusive- their history is 10 times worse than practically any nation out there that has even the remotest pretensions of civilization and they all know it too. All that braggadocio is in large parts trying to present a front against that, really.
what about " Are those your grandpa's prisoner numbers on your jerseys" ??:finger:

aussies are good please don't curse them.. it's a place where i have lived, and love the ppl.. this is jeet lo dil series..
tu bhi too much hain yaara.... Saale choro ke state (delhi) se choro ke desh (aus) mein pahuch gaya :cantstop: