Are we racist

I recently started a thread highlighting racism at cricket stadiums in Aus to which I saw a lot of replies where people suggested "How we should treat one another respectfully". Today I read few comments for the Aussies and bucknor which tell me that probably its a human instinct to be racist. Lets not discuss and post any replies to this message but just think for a moment and in future think before we post or say anything that is racist . I hope I got the message across.

I am not sure if its exactly human nature to be racist, but one thing i do understand is that the most piercing insult you can hurl on someone is to rubbish their roots. Calling someone a "N****" or a "fckin P***" indicates you arent actually insulting that person, but rather his ancestry. Of course, the luxury of being anonymous in a message board means people feel the unusual liberty of having being able to hurl abuses and yet get away with it. Sometimes, it could provoke people to being more extremist than they actually are. Lastly, there is also this mob mentality, once someone starts something that touches a popular chord with people, it is understandable that many join in. And as strange as this might sound, a few guys also think it is actually quite cool to swear.These and many other factors contribute to otherwise sane posters going over-board at times.

I agree with marirs_mania - especially re: anonymity on the internet. I think sport is one of those things that inflames people's passions and if they're not happy with how things are going they tend to start throwing insults about. The first insult that comes to some people's minds is to play on the obvious differences between themselves and others, which I guess is where the 'racist' comments start. I am Australian and I am yet to read anything on here that I view as racist. Racism is in the eye (ear?) of the beholder though. Depends on your tolerance levels. I am more likely to get annoyed if someone denigrates me personally rather than attacking my heritage.

i asked this question in some other thread as well. whats wrong with being a racist ?
Umm.. discriminating against another person just based on their race is ok ? Racism isn't about being proud of your own "race", it's about discriminating against all other "races", and there is no way any civilized person should be ok with that.
i asked this question in some other thread as well. whats wrong with being a racist ?
Absolutely nothing.. So long as you don't mind being thought of as an ignorant asstard. Whatever floats people's boats. -- Nothing wrong with being patriotic, but why the need to put others down? It's alright if it's joking like the whole Aus - convict thing, and NZ - sheep thing, that's just funny. But when it's full on fanatical nazi like obsession with one race/nationality being better...that's just weird. =/
so what part do you dislike being proud of your race or discrimination ?
lol you're mistaking pride for racism. If I'm proud of being an Indian, doesn't mean i'll put down anyone 'coz he's not. I'm a punjabi and proud of it, does that mean i should start discriminating against biharis, bengalis and south indians ?