The Effect Of Bad Umpiring on Players

putrevus

Some people have pointed out the LBW appeal against VVS laxman not given as equal to other blunders the umpires have commited in the match so far. India have been the victims here and those saying otherwise have to check their conscious. See lbws are totally upto umpire discretion, but him not referring to third umpire on stumpings is not acceptable, he promptly refers to third umpire when dravid was batting, the advent of third umpire was to refer every close decision which TV replays can help umpires , this clearly shows his intent against India. ICC wants Aussies to win thats why it keeps giving Bucknor to India , Third umpire not giving Symonds out when referred shows how biased Aussies are and were before neutral umpiring and how unsporting and full of cheats.batsman not walking on LBWs is understandable but knowing fully you edged and you are out and still batting is something else.I dont recall anyone admitting that he was out and still batting dont give Symonds credit for admitting it is the intent of Aussies rubbing salt over wounds. Well Cricket is not gentleman's game anymore , it is professional , let us get professional umpires and also cut this nonsense that umpires are some gods that players cant show their emotions when they feel they are robbed is totally outdated ,what is match refree's role just sitting and collecting money from ICC and being watch dog on just players by fining them for over appealing and showing dissent.If he has power to suspend a player for his antics he should have the same power when umpiring blunders are committed, we have not even heard apology of Bucknor even though Symonds admitted he was out ala Simon Taufel.Which shows he is Scumbag Clearly these goof ups by umpires changed total complexion of match and series, who knows if Aussies got out under 225 how this series would have turned out.India would have gained confidence( Ala 2001 and Ashes 2005 where england gained confidence by winning the second test) and put up different show , I still hope it does I dont hear Ian Chappel screaming foul on Radio and TV like he was when Sreesanth was word of wars with Aussies earlier this year or in england ,Ian Chappel needs to keep his mouth shut, stop giving advise to other countries , let his advise be given to Aussies these are some of Buknors goof ups which cost india dearly in past 1. 2nd Test 1992, India Vs South Africa at Johannesburg. SA was 73 for 5, and there was a run out appeal against Jonty Rhodes. Bucknor ruled not out, even though replays suggested it was out. He didn’t bother to refer to the third umpire. South Africa scored 292 and drew the match. 2. India Vs Pakistan at Kolkata, 1998-99. Shoaib obstructed Sachin and appealed for a run out. Mr Bucknor ignored his obstructions and referred the matter to third umpire, who had to rule out. 3. Ignored Sachin’s pleas for bad light at Kolkata in March 2005 and then gave him out caught behind to Abdul Razzaq in semi-darkness. 4. Gave Sachin out leg-before to Jason Gillespie in Brisbane during the 2003-04 tour. The ball was outside the line of off stump. Then-skipper Sourav Ganguly gave him a zero in the captain’s report.

with teams having psychologists and everything, things like that shouldnt enter their minds one serious effect bad umpiring can have is, if you look at ishant sharma, the guy has bowled so well, but hasnt got any wickets, had symonds been given he may have been more confident and may even have got more wickets, but now he may not play next game

Iam pretty sure our players -especially the batsmen - have this on the back of their minds and everytime they go out to bat it makes them do things differently in an effort to take umpiring out of the equation as much as possible ... thereby adding another degree of pressure and handicap into the mix .... What do you guys think ?
Of course, if the batsman have this thought that they may be hard done by umpiring, it will hamper their positive intent. But I am sure our players are professional enough to not allow such thoughts to engulf their minds.
I am sure our players do let it engulf their minds, but really enjoy the human errors in umpiring, the beauty of it, and the natural appeal of it. It will give them immense relaxation and calm :giggle:
good Gosh .. you too finey ... :D :tounge_smile:
Yes, thanks to MM, these days I'm learning to use umpiring decisions as a good mental relaxation exercise. Once you start appreciating the innate beauty in human fallibility, it is exciting and invigorating. :hysterical:
Yes' date=' thanks to MM, these days I'm learning to use umpiring decisions as a good mental relaxation exercise.[b'] Once you start appreciating the innate beauty in human fallibility, it is exciting and invigorating. :hysterical:
Well put, actually. That sentence is something i would like to note down for future use ! :D
Iam pretty sure our players -especially the batsmen - have this on the back of their minds and everytime they go out to bat it makes them do things differently in an effort to take umpiring out of the equation as much as possible ... thereby adding another degree of pressure and handicap into the mix .... What do you guys think ?
As you asked, BB, I'm happy to oblige. :regular_smile: If the Indian batsman DO think like that, they shouldn't be playing professional cricket. Certainly not Test cricket. No matter how much you rail against the present system, it IS the system in place and players understand its vagaries. It would be nice if you could appreciate the sentiments of Finey and MM.

Bad umpiring not only affects players but the umpires too. A couple of bad decisions, and they suddenly get too conservative in giving straight-forward ones.. it's a vicious cycle. That's what happens when you have the human element in umpiring ;-) Pity that statsguru doesn't have umpire stats. They should as umpires are such a part of the game :P

Donny, have you read David Shepherd's autobiography? Some chapters in there provide very interesting insights as to how a high profile bad decision can affect the umpire's decision making. Not shown on the scoreboard, not in our opinions. But it is coming from directly from one of those men in white coat who gave a lot of players out and not out and had serious influence upon matches.

But stats are a result of those opinions aren't they
No. There are player stats and that's mathematical, based on recorded details. So called 'umpire stats' are based on opinions which, in turn, are mostly based on subsequent video replays which umpires don't have access to.
No. There are player stats and that's mathematical, based on recorded details. So called 'umpire stats' are based on opinions which, in turn, are mostly based on subsequent video replays which umpires don't have access to.
I was being pedantic really. My point being that if a wicket falls or not is a few times is based on the umpire's opinion, hence player stats are affected by opinions as well ( umpire's opinions in this case ). Regardless of that, simple umpire stats like how many leg-befores were given by an umpire.. or how many decisions given by an umpire against India, or against Australia (simple "fact" based stats, I'm not talking about trusting the opinion where we decide if the umpire's decision was correct or not) can surely be collected