Dhoni as a Wicket Keeper's Contribution To DRS

PSB_Zone

11 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Keeper means many things.He should be a good keeper,help with strategy like DRS and Field Settings,Motivator from behind the stumps and a competent batsman.

Saha fulfills only one of those cricteria.

That wasnt my question

Whos better in all criterias

No question was what technical issues u find in Pant and zkishan to say their keeping is not good enough.

Particularly considering Kishan has been keeping for Jarkhand for some time and no one has even seen Pant keep in Ranji.What exact technical issues do they have with their keeping honsely.Because this honestly looks like a generic throwaway line against every good batsmen wk who is attacking in nature.

No good team uses just pure wk that is a thing of the past.Your wicket keeper has to be very good wicket keeper .And it's not even like Saha doesn't drop catches .

If u just play a poor batsman wicket keeper then these kind of collapses continue to happen.Virtually every good test has a good wk bat .If u don't one it's imperative to try to find out one.Not be happy wicket keeper who is not a good enough batsman.Because we will be even more horribly exposed to collapses when we go overseas.

Dunno what are u moaning about .Saha has been batting well in pressure situations and this season averages above 40.

Bhai its simple.They are very young.If they were any good as keepers,it would have been reported by now just like their batting has been

Saha OTOH has been rated as even best keeper in the world currently.I can link you to the articles

Its not like hes totally useless as a batsman anyway.Scored a ton v BD and a fantastic rearguard one in WI.

Pant and Kishan can be tried in ODIs sure.But in Tests you need a keeper first.

I don't see any other team compromising on keeping either.All the keepers playing would have played even if batting was ignored,

Please link me to the articles which has said Saha is one of the best WK in the world ? I don't ever remember it .The genuine world class wk I can remember was Prassana Jayawardene .Most wicket keeper nowadays in test teams r batsmen first and for a reason.

Scoring runs against WI and Ban the two worst teams in cricket ? Doesn't really mean much.

Pant and Kishan has scored runs in Ranji so no they don't deserve to be tried in ODI but in tests .

If they perform exceptionally in VZ trophy or IPL then should be considered for ODIs .

And in test cricket also u need batsmen wicket keeper . Even more so when we r trying to play 5 bowlers.

Infact it's better to let them develop their keeping in test cricket.Even Gilly was considered an average keeper when he broke into the team and they dropped Heally (Considered of the greatest wk of all time in glove work ) to accomodate him.

Unless we try the youngsters we won't know how good the potential we have.

Just now, Lord said:

so they help with DRS,strategy and are motivator behind stumps?

Clearly not ready as test keepers.You are giving in to the hype this time

Not ready as Test Keeper?why?They are good keepers.Not brilliant but good.Far better batsman.And they are not mute behind the stumps.Ishan Kishan has captained the u19 team so yes he can strategise.

The DRS part is yet to be seen.

3 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Please link me to the articles which has said Saha is one of the best WK in the world ? I don't ever remember it .The genuine world class wk I can remember was Prassana Jayawardene .Most wicket keeper nowadays in test teams r batsmen first and for a reason.

Scoring runs against WI and Ban the two worst teams in cricket ? Doesn't really mean much.

Pant and Kishan has scored runs in Ranji so no they don't deserve to be tried in ODI but in tests .

If they perform exceptionally in VZ trophy or IPL then should be considered for ODIs .

And in test cricket also u need batsmen wicket keeper . Even more so when we r trying to play 5 bowlers.

Infact it's better to let them develop their keeping in test cricket.Even Gilly was considered an average keeper when he broke into the team and they dropped Heally (Considered of the greatest wk of all time in glove work ) to accomodate him.

Saha is avg.Very Avg.

Kishan is not a rookie.Neither is Pant. Who will they replace in ODIs?MSD?

Pant is already in T20.If he does well he will be in odis may be even as a batsman .He will be Sent on A tours he will have enough opportunity to prove his class.It's better now that youngsters have to earn their cap and develop at domestic level than fail at international level and end their careers.

3 minutes ago, CG said:

Pant is already in T20.If he does well he will be in odis may be even as a batsman .He will be Sent on A tours he will have enough opportunity to prove his class.It's better now that youngsters have to earn their cap and develop at domestic level than fail at international level and end their careers.

Going by your way.They have to first displace the greatest LOI wicketkeeper batsman of all time.Then they can think of displacing Saha.Anyone can see that Kishan and Pant are much better batsman.

Going by your way.They have to first displace the greatest LOI wicketkeeper batsman of all time.Then they can think of displacing Saha.Anyone can see that Kishan and Pant are much better batsman.

First let pant perform Well at A tours.Its natural progression .I do not think Dhoni will continue after champions trophy anyway.

44 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/india-in-west-indies-2016/top-stories/Saha-best-keeper-in-the-world-right-now-Wallace/articleshow/53777372.cms

http://www.crictracker.com/harbhajan-singh-calls-wriddhiman-saha-best-wicketkeeper-world-wishing-birthday/

Scoring against WI doesnt count,but scoring in Ranjis does ? :hmmm:

Gilchrist was drafted in ODIs first.Only after he improved his keeping and Healy underperformed,did he come in.3 years after his ODI debut.No comparisons there

Youngsters can't be thrown in the deep end straightaway.A tours first

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/india-in-west-indies-2016/top-stories/Saha-best-keeper-in-the-world-right-now-Wallace/articleshow/53777372.cms

http://www.crictracker.com/harbhajan-singh-calls-wriddhiman-saha-best-wicketkeeper-world-wishing-birthday/

Scoring against WI doesnt count,but scoring in Ranjis does ? :hmmm:

Gilchrist was drafted in ODIs first.Only after he improved his keeping and Healy underperformed,did he come in.3 years after his ODI debut.No comparisons there

Youngsters can't be thrown in the deep end straightaway.A tours first

Fair enough with the articles .But honestly I was expecting someone more well known than Wallace but fair enough lol.

As for Ranji vs WI , the problem is Saha has clearly shown he struggles against good teams.He struggled and SA ,then England and now Australia.

Hence we need to look to try the next in line guys .And obviously should be judged based on their Ranji records.

But the point is Heally was an excellent keeper still but Aussies took the gamble and richly rewarded .

Probably with trying him ODIs is Dhoni is still going strong so no space to try there.Whereas in tests Saha is at best below average bat/wk and ideally look to replace him.

And we could have tried him against Bangladesh with out any pressure too.

1 minute ago, BeautifulGame said:

Fair enough with the articles .But honestly I was expecting someone more well known than Wallace but fair enough lol.

As for Ranji vs WI , the problem is Saha has clearly shown he struggles against good teams.He struggled and SA ,then England and now Australia.

Hence we need to look to try the next in line guys .And obviously should be judged based on their Ranji records.

But the point is Heally was an excellent batsman still them but Aussies took the gamble and richly rewarded .

Probably with trying him ODIs is Dhoni is still going strong so no space to try there.Whereas in tests Saha is at best below average bat/wk and ideally look to replace him.

Have u watched him Bat?

Have u watched him Bat?

Typo I meant excellent keeper

Edit : He was still a pretty wk bat for that age.Played some great counter attacking knocks.

Heck he was probably the best batsman among wicket keepers during his era until Gilly emerged considering Stewart never kept consistently.

2 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

But the point is Heally was an excellent batsman still them but Aussies took the gamble and richly rewarded .

In ODIs we are looking for an opener too.So Pant can come in there and maybe keep instead of Dhoni.Dhoni is a decent seamer :P

Healy was 35 when he was replaced,not much of a gamble there.More importantly Gilly wasnt so young.He was 27

England yes,you can say.Everyone struggled v SA and here.

He did do well v NZ IIRC 

2 hours ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

It will take a herculean effort to come close to Dhoni as a Wkt-batsman and captainlet alone match him.

Saha is a third rate keeper batsman and deserves no chance in team India.

Third rate keeper ? You better check his diving catch of O'Keefe   off  the bowling of yadav in the 1st inning of the match 

How many great LOI innings did Saha or Parthiv(The current top two wks in the country as per the captain and coach) played before being given chance in Tests. I am surprised why is everyone saying Ranji is not the benchmark for being considered for Indian Test team.