Bollywood type shite: How I-T Dept. raided Sasikala klan premises

chapetmarunga

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/wedding-party-raids-sasi-clan-premises/articleshow/61584798.cms

Cloak-and-dagger stuff added to the high drama in the massive income tax searches across Tamil Nadu on Thursday. To carry out searches on such an unprecedented scale, the income tax department had to adopt a ploy, faking a wedding entourage. The department hired more than 300 cars from a city operator and had stickers — 'Srini weds Mahi' — on all of them to carry officials to various destinations early on Thursday.

I-T hired more than 300 cars from a city operator and had stickers — 'Srini weds Mahi

The taxis had stickers affixed in the front as well as on the rear to ensure the operation remained top secret. In almost all the searches conducted by the department since the demonetisation order came last November, officials of the department had used only department cars. "Thursday's searches were of a massive scale and it was not possible to source department vehicles for all officials in Chennai. We then thought of hiring taxis in large numbers and Thursday being an auspicious day for marriages, we stuck stickers to camouflage our arrival at various destinations," a senior I-T official told TOI.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/on-day-2-of-i-t-ops-diamonds-swiss-watches-tumble-out/articleshow/61602017.cms?from=mdr

Diamond jewellery and Swiss watches tumbled out of cupboards in unoccupied hostel rooms of a women's college in Tiruvarur district as income tax searches continued on premises owned by convicted AIADMK leader V K Sasikala, her relatives and associates in various parts of Tamil Nadu for the second day on Friday, said I-T sources.

A senior I-T official said teams seized Rs 6 crore in cash, 8.5 kg gold worth Rs 2.4 crore and documents relating to investments worth Rs 1,200 crore, for which their owners could not provide any source of income.

They searched the hostel of Sengamala Thayaar Educational Trust Women's College, owned by Sasikala's brother V Dhivaharan at Sundarakottai in Mannargudi, the family's native village, and seized several valuables that were hidden in unused hostel rooms, said sources. "They include diamond jewellery and Rolex watches. We are in the process of assessing their value," said an official.