Scoring runs in England a mental game - M Vijay

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/102438/scoring-runs-in-england-a-mental-game-m-vijay-india-tour-of-england-2018-cricket-news

"The Test against Afghanistan gives us an opportunity to go out there and express ourselves. It will definitely be an interesting game and from thereon, the strategies for the England series will start," the 34-year-old told the Times of India during an event organized by his TNPL franchise Ruby Trichy Warriors on Thursday (June 7).

"Afghanistan is a quality side and Test cricket as such is a test for any player," Vijay said.

"Even experienced players tend to struggle in England as the conditions are alien. Scoring runs in such conditions is a mental game and you have to be persistent. It is important to bide your time, believe in yourself and runs will come. That's what I have looked to do throughout my career," Vijay revealed.

"I have been telling people that it's about winning more than individual performances. You can perform well but at the end of the day if the team doesn't win (the series), then it doesn't give much happiness," Vijay said. With big tours of England and Australia lined up for him, has Vijay set a target for himself ? "I tried going for different things (earlier) and it didn't work. I am in a state where I want to enjoy the game than set any targets. I believe I have the hunger to go, do big and that's more important," he said.

"I really wish to play a few matches for my team before the England series but it will depend on the schedule and how things pan out," Vijay said.