Why Ishant is worth more than Punter

Zap_Brannigan

He’s 19.He is on the verge of super stardom. Imagine Pathan a few years back. Pathan became the numero uno of Indian cricket and rubbed shoulders with the likes of Sachin in terms of marketing value. It could easily happen to Ishant. If (and it’s a big if) that happens, Not only will he will fill up seats, he will fetch more than double of what he was bought for next year(much like A-rod to Yankees) or the one after. Punter, with only a couple of years left in his career, just does not have the resale value.

Neither. :regular_smile: Punter, Huss, Hayden all attracted low bids because it's highly unlikely they will be available.
Yep, much closer to the truth. Besides, the blunt truth is, Ishant doesnt have the looks Irfan had 4 years ago, for him to be a superstar brand. AND, he is also ONLY a bowler. Traditionally, pure bowlers have found it very hard to scale the brand ladder. I would actually put my money on guys like Rohit and Manoj Tiwary to over-take him in terms of brand recall. Indian people have always been mystified by top batsman than bowlers. A casual perusal of the list of the most saleable stars will reveal names like Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev, Sachin, Ganguly, Dravid, Dhoni, Sehwag, Yuvraj etc. Despite being top performers, guys like Kumble have found it hard to attract big money. Of course, the exception to this rule is VVS Laxman. In spite of being one India's BEST batsman ever, he continues to elude the sponsor's attention, not that he cares too much about it.

Neither. :regular_smile: Punter, Huss, Hayden all attracted low bids because it's highly unlikely they will be available.
True. But i failed to mention in the OP that this is meant for all Younger players Vs Older players. This is true why no names David hussey,Raina, Joginder sharma, KKD,Kaif et all fetched a lot more than some brand value players.

Oh really Punter? "I thought I might have been able to attract a little bit more than that. The fact I haven't made a lot of runs over the last couple of weeks probably hasn't helped much. But realistically we as Australian players probably won't be able to take part in the first couple of years of the event anyway... I could end up being the bargain buy of the tournament, you never know." ---Ricky Ponting suggests he could, at $400,000, be, well, the punt of the tournament :-D

auctioning the players has degraded some big names like Ponting... it has devalued the authenticities, look in to it... there are lots of factors affecting the image of a player to go thru...that Ponting has really suffered a lot thru auctioneering.

auctioning the players has degraded some big names like Ponting... it has devalued the authenticities, look in to it... there are lots of factors affecting the image of a player to go thru...that Ponting has really suffered a lot thru auctioneering.
:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: