Declare by tea or not!

Though the pitch looks flat, it does have something for both the spinners and the quicks. But expect Australia to bat better in the 2nd innings. And knowing our inability to get batsmen out after being in great positions, I feel we need atleast 4 sessions to bowl out Australia.

We are currently 224 runs ahead. Should be around 260 ahead by Lunch. Go all guns blazing and score about 360 and declare by tea. (Lead of 375). It will be tricky as Aussies might just feel it is well worth going for. Hence creating more chances for our quicks/ Ashwin.

India's recent trend in these situations has been to let the opposition bat out the last 10-15 overs of the day. So I don't think they'll declare at tea. Would I like to see 'em do that? If the lead is 400+, then yes, but that's unlikely to be the case. So I say go for 400 and bat Australia out of the match, then declare (which should leave around 1 hour for Australia today). Scoreboard pressure is the way to get wickets on this pitch, because it really doesn't have much in it. I don't trust Ashwin outside the SC on Day 5. 

Edited by HouMac
1 minute ago, Vilander said:

Aus wont last more than 2 sessions in last innings. India should make the aussie quicks break their backs. Towards the end make sure lyon is taken apart..specifically

this pitch is not that spicy for Ozzies to collapse in 2 sessions. I felt that day 1 (and 2 to a lesser degree) were harder to bat on We need scoreboard pressure - should play until 10 overs after tea if possible and then declare.

If Chepu and Rahane can get us a lead of around 250, then the good thing we have middle-order batters in Rohit and Pant, who can score at a brisk pace. Even Shami can throw his bat around for a few. I reckon that the scoring rate can be amped up after we cross the 300 lead.

Edited by Vijy