Amazon just opened its biggest office building — and it's not in the United States

Stradlater

New Delhi (CNN Business) Amazon just opened its biggest office building in the world in the Indian city of Hyderabad.

The online retail giant's new campus in the city's financial district opened on Wednesday. It covers 9.5 acres and has 1.8 million square feet of office space, making it "Amazon's single largest building in the world in terms of total area," according to the company.
The building can accommodate up to 15,000 employees, nearly a quarter of Amazon's full-time India workforce of more than 62,000. The company also has 155,000 contract workers in the country, making India its biggest base outside the United States.
The Hyderabad campus is the first office outside the United States that Amazon fully owns.

Amazon (AMZN) has poured billions of dollars into its India business in recent years. It is expanding its operations and reportedly looking for stakes in local retailers as it battles Walmart for an e-commerce market that Morgan Stanley estimates will be worth $200 billion by 2027.
"This new Amazon campus building is a tangible commitment to that long-term thinking and our plans for India," Amit Agarwal, the company's India head, said in a statement.
The prize is huge. India has over 600 million internet users, but the majority of its population still isn't online. Amazon is trying to cash in on that potential by looking to expand its grocery business, creating more Indian content for its Prime Video streaming service and even making its mobile app available in India's most popular language, Hindi.

"This is Day One for us in India, and we look forward to creating an environment where diverse contributions are welcomed and innovation encouraged for the long term," John Schoettler, Amazon's vice president of global real estate and facilities, said in a statement.
The new Hyderabad campus will eventually be expanded to cover 68 acres — roughly the equivalent of 65 football fields, Amazon said. The tech city was Amazon's first point of entry into India in 2004. It is also home to other big global names, including Microsoft's (MSFT) India headquarters and Ikea's first India store.

Well that's the price you pay for being greedy ambitious, I know some who're at Amazon & while what you say is true the (subtle) reason I got for them staying there is that it pays well & they have more "growth opportunists" there. On the other hand say at TCS, they also pay well (not as much as Amazon per se) but the work hours & workload isn't nearly as demanding, secondly promotions supposedly take too long. I guess of the major tech companies in India my favorites would be Google, MS, Intel, Apple in that order mainly because of the type of work they do.

Amazon, I will add, is punishing in terms of work timings for their low(er) level employees with little to no incentive on top. Everywhere in the world they've been criticized for this, yet they never learn :no:

16 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Well that's the price you pay for being greedy ambitious, I know some who're at Amazon & while what you say is true the (subtle) reason I got for them staying there is that it pays well & they have more "growth opportunists" there. On the other hand say at TCS, they also pay well (not as much as Amazon per se) but the work hours & workload isn't nearly as demanding, secondly promotions supposedly take too long. I guess of the major tech companies in India my favorites would be Google, MS, Intel, Apple in that order mainly because of the type of work they do.

Amazon, I will add, is punishing in terms of work timings for their low(er) level employees with little to no incentive on top. Everywhere in the world they've been criticized for this, yet they never learn :no:

Amazon puts customer over employees ( it's Even worse in supply chain and they pay 35/40k per month .. others might pay hardly 15k .. atleast software guys can move out easily ) as long as they pay they will keep attracting people ..

There are many companies who pay as Good as Amazon or even more , and also develop their employees ..

Qualcomm atheros pay American salary to Chennai employees :p: 

Also msft people might have minted truckloads of money theory esops and rsus .. stock tripled in value after Nadella took over

18 minutes ago, velu said:

Amazon puts customer over employees ( it's Even worse in supply chain and they pay 35/40k per month .. others might pay hardly 15k .. atleast software guys can move out easily ) as long as they pay they will keep attracting people ..

That's true however, there's 2 Amazon's you have to consider in this context. Their AWS & technical positions are much better paid & arguably a lot more attractive than say our homegrown "tech giants" - of course they have very little overlap with our firms, but somehow they're still an attractive proposition probably because of their brand name.

There are many companies who pay as Good as Amazon or even more , and also develop their employees ..

No doubt, I'm just saying the perception is that they're one of the better employers, even if the majority of their employees are getting roasted due to punishing work hours & sometimes pathetic work conditions.

Qualcomm atheros pay American salary to Chennai employees :p: 

Also msft people might have minted truckloads of money theory esops and rsus .. stock tripled in value after Nadella took over

I'm not sure what QC does in India, however if most of their workforce is R&D then it makes perfect sense. Intel just opened a truckload of positions under Raja this year & they'll pay even more, albeit for different type of work.

MS, Intel are still arguably the best employers even after the emergence of FANG - among them FB & Amazon are definitely the worst, for slightly different reasons.

Edited by R!TTER