Why Sachin is a legend

CSK Fan

Youngsters have trouble in understading the reason why Sachin is so admired by Indians. The stats dont tell them the story, they find weaknesses, glitches, mistakes in them. The stats make him look good but is that all there is to Sachin? I have been following him ever since I was hooked by his performance in the exhibition match between Pak and India where he hit Qadir for fun. With Sachin it was not only about his batting. I wont be wrong if I say that he is THE most famous and well known cricketer in the world ever. Kids look upto him even in third world countries. Only Sachin could have done an AD for milk in Saudi Arabia where there is no cricket. He has been the face of cricket for a long time, he was the one who brought money to cricket and big sponsership deals. He made Indians watch cricket and this was the bginning of BCCI being rich. He was a major factor in propogating ODI cricket in India. Big media houses and companies started their interest in cricket because of him. He was the First big and the greatest cricket icon. Bradman was revered but Sahin was a real criceket celebrity. In a poll conducted in 98, only 40% of people in India (particularly rural) knew Vajpayee(the then Prime Minister) but 99% knew about Sachin. He was above Mahatma Gandhi in the poluarity chart. Even ones without acess to TV/newspapers knew about Sachin and when their children bunked studies to play, would say "Sachin samjha hai kya khud ko?" He was a revolution in cricket. In the late 80s cricket was a snobbish game in India watched by intelectuals in a group in one's drawing room. By the late 90s, and 2000s common labourers on the street left their jobs in which they were payed by the hour to stand and stare at TV screens in a showroom window or stay glued to the radio (remember AakashVaani?) till the time he was at the crease. Never before had one man brought such hopes to a whole nation. India was rife in corruption. Rajiv Gandhi was killed. Sycophany was everywhere. Bribe was the way of life. People had given up hope of India achieving much as a nation. Sachin was that bright ray which made people forget for a while their day to day trouble. Unlike today when we have the luxury, Sachin was never cursed even when he failed. Who curses their idol? It was always the other players, umpires, the world. Every four/six from his bat was a victory in itself. We enjoyed him making great bowlers look ordinary, though at the other end the procession had started and we probably lost by an innings. The result was never discussed, that was somehting un-necessary. People watched cricket for Sachin and not the other way around. TVs where switched off as soon as he was out. If India batted second, TV would be given 'rest'(a very Indian phrase) till the big event. We would have time to finish off our pending work before Sachin came to open. Every praise which a contempory player/ex-player sang about Sachin made the blood rush to our face as if the compliment was meant for us and the whole country. Through it all his humble demenour elevated him to legendary status which no brashness or arrogance would have achieved. Stats do not tell the whole picture always. Society has become result oriented now. For us, the journey was worth the experience. A lost match was just like a great bollywood movie with a sad end where the hero died saving everyone. Despite his defeat, he still remained for us, a hero. Sachin Tendulkar is much more than mere stats. For a long time he carried the mantle of a billion hopes succesfully, he provided them a few moments of relief from their wretched life, all this while remaining the same humble chap from Mumbai.

Some people will never realize this..(Parth?) Fleming retired the other day, and he had a guard of honour. . Can you imagine what's gonna happen the day Sachin retires?
Nothing outrageous, the world as we know it, will come to an end. :D

True facts. Nice Article. However, we should also note something that Steve Waugh said after looking at the adoration that Sachin gets, he said, "Australians celebrate when Australia wins while Indians celebrate when Sachin scores a century," which I don't think is too wrong. So this adoration that he gets has only lessened recently and we have started to pay more attention to who wins rather than whether he does well individually. Furthermore, there was an article in the Mumbai Mirror that said something very important about why Sachin is liked as much as he is in India. It said that most of the times, despite us winning the 1983 World Cup, our athletes and everything that we represented on a global scale, we were only average. Sachin, Paes/Bhupathi, etc. changed that. More so Sachin because he was hailed as the greatest batsman in the world for his generation and only second to Bradman in all time. We like the fact that an Indian is the greatest in the world, and that psychological perspective is why he has gained so much popularity, and why cricket has gained so much popularity - that we are able to win a few games and show ourselves to the world as someone worthy of a fight. But yeah, when Sachin retires, I'll be crying, and probably stop watching cricket for a while.. and cry some more.

Some people will never realize this..(Parth?) Fleming retired the other day, and he had a guard of honour. . Can you imagine what's gonna happen the day Sachin retires?
At least I will watch indian matches with out any threat of heart attacks and with lesser prayers on the lips. in fact would manage to watch the entire match with out changing the channel as i am used to-when sachin is about to face, especially when he starts his innings.!!! i have watched so many SRT innings in hi lights or retelecast than 'live COVERAGE' because i have found it unbearable if he fails.Sometimes due to superstition too. So many times i would switch the channel after observing addition of four to his total while watching news channels, to catch a glimpse of the replay of the 4.
At least I will watch indian matches with out any threat of heart attacks and with lesser prayers on the lips. in fact would manage to watch the entire match with out changing the channel as i am used to-when sachin is about to face, especially when he starts his innings.!!! i have watched so many SRT innings in hi lights or retelecast than 'live COVERAGE' because i have found it unbearable if he fails.Sometimes due to superstition too. So many times i would switch the channel after observing addition of four to his total while watching news channels, to catch a glimpse of the replay of the 4.
Totally Agree.............. It really holds my nerves back watchin him bat.......... @Desidownunder.......... You think Dinesh Kartik is gonna Replace SACHIN????????? Lemme tell ya sumthin There ain't no replacement for sachin in the Entire Universe.................... if you think Dinesh Karthik is gonna replace SACHIN well i am sorry to say this someone has to replace you out here...............
Totally Agree.............. It really holds my nerves back watchin him bat.......... @Desidownunder.......... You think Dinesh Kartik is gonna Replace SACHIN????????? Lemme tell ya sumthin There ain't no replacement for sachin in the Entire Universe.................... if you think Dinesh Karthik is gonna replace SACHIN well i am sorry to say this someone has to replace you out here...............
lol damn man ure new here chill out hes just having a banter :yay::yay::yay::dance:
dumb @ss, my point was that we don't have any quality player to replace SRT