Rajiv

What song are you currently listening to ?

And that is where they are/were wrong.
Yeah, those great poets were wrong and only CCism is the Absolute Truth! Btw...This thread is for contributing patriotic poems, songs etc.....appreciate your participation if any.

Sandtest saab namaskaram. Personally I am not a big fan of National Anthems/songs. Dont get me wrong I love Jhanda Ooncha Rahe Hamara, Saare Jehan se Accha and of course Jana Gana Mana. And greatly love Vande Matram too but my personal favorites are often the patriotic songs from movie simply because they convey the emotions of humans deeper. Take this line from the song Honthon ko sacchai rehti hai, jehan dil mein safai rehti hai... Mehmaan Jo Hamara Hota Hai Woh Jaan Se Pyara Hota Hai Jyada Ki Nahin Lalach Humko Thode Mein Guzara Hota Hai Bacchon Ke Liye Jo Dharti Maa Sadiyon Se Sabhi Dukh Sehti Hai Hum Us Desh... It captures the essence of India, specially the cowboy belt brilliantly. Or take this para by Santosh Anand from Kranti - Chana Jor Garam (a highly underrated song) Apni dharti apna hai watan yeh mera hai mera watan is par jo aankh uthaayega jinda dafnaya jaayega.... Mera chana hai apni marzi ka marzi ka bhai marzi ka. It is impossible, for me atleast, to listen to the two songs and not get moved. Funny thing is these are not even my favorite patriotic songs!! There are so many memorable paragraphs tattooed permanently to my brain. xxx

Lurker guru, I agree with you. There are many bollywood movie songs which can move us with their simple and down to earth meanings. You mentioned song , Mera Chana hai apni marzi ka, is one of them, it's my all time fav. as well. Bhagat Singh movie of Rajkumar Santoshi (one which Ajay devgan is Bhagat).....that Punjabi song "Pagadi Sambhal Jatta" is historic one. particularly those folks here who are from Punjab/haryana and can understand Punjabi a bit will know how deep meaning it carries.. I found out Punjabi lyrics of that song and meaning, it's simply awesome when considered with British Raj scenario. Pagrhi sambhaal oh jatta; pagrhi sambhaal oh Faslaan nu kha gaye keerhe, tan te nahin lere lirhe Bhukaan ne khhoob nachorehe, ronde ne bal oh Pagrhi Bande ne tee leader, raje te khan bahadur Tenu le khaavan khafir, vlchh de ne jaal oh- Pagrhi Hind hal tera Mandir, usda pujari tu Challega kadon tak, apni khumari tu Larhne te marne di, kar le tayari tu - Pagrhi Seene te khaave teer, Ranjha tu desh hai heer Smbhal ke chal tu vir--Pagrhi Tussi kyoon dabde veero, uski pukar oh Ho-ke ikathe veero, maro lalkaar oh Tarhi do hattharh bajje, chhatiyan nun tarh oh Pagrhi sambhaal jatta, pagrhi sambhaal oh Translation: Gaurd your self respect O' farmer Your crops am being destroyed by insects, you suffer forbeing ill clad Famines have taken a heavy toll, your dependents are made to weep in anguish Jagirdars and Khan Bahadurs set themselves up as your leaders They are setting traps to exploit you India is your temple and you are its worshipper How long will you remain under the spell of lethargy? Prepare yourself for a fight to death You may have to face repression Love your country as Ranjha loved Heer Tread cautiously courageous one Your motherland wants you to shed thoughts of cowardiceBe united and give a threatening challenge. Join hands and put up a brave front O' farmer guard your self-respect. This became a battle song for Punjab revolutionaries during British India.

Ekbar biday de ma..Bengali song of Khudiram Bose, gets me into tears, even if I don't get the lyrics. What a sad ending to his life. Here's a English translation of that song: Let me go ma once, let me visit hang myself with smiling and the whole Bharat will see it Oh I will hang myself while smiling and the whole Bharat will see it Let me go ma once, let me visit After preparing a bomb Was standing beside the street o ma Instead of killing the boro Lat, I killed another English Let me go mother once, let me visit On Saturday, the court was full of people o ma O ma Khodiraam was sentenced to death Let me go ma once, let me visit 12 lakhs and 33 Crore Are your sons-daughters o ma With them live, make them your slaves Let me go ma once, let me visit After 10 months and 10 days I will be born in aunt’s house oh ma If you can’t recognize, see the rope in my neck O ma if you can’t recognize, see the rope in my neck Let me go ma once, let me visit [English Translation of the famous Bengali song: Ekbar Biday de Ma]

Excellent one there CA. How did you happen to know about Khudiram Bose if you dont mind me asking..:smile:
As kids, We used to read those small "Bharata-Bharati" books on prominent heroes of Indian freedom struggle. They were written in local languages (Kannada). I don;t know if other languages in India had such books printed. Also, I remember shedding tears watching the movie on one of the DD's sunday afternoon regional films, this one was in Bengali (B&W old movie).

As kids' date=' We used to read those small "Bharata-Bharati" books on prominent heroes of Indian freedom struggle. They were written in local languages (Kannada). I don;t know if other languages in India had such books printed. Also, I remember shedding tears watching the movie on one of the DD's sunday afternoon regional films, this one was in Bengali (B&W old movie).[/quote'] Great to hear that CA :thumbs_up: Khudiram Bose belongs to the list of the very first group of revolutionaries. These people are highly uncelebrated, as compared to say Bhagat Singh, hence my question. Another one like Bose is Kartaar Singh Saraaba. Incidentally he is the person who inspired Bhagath Singh greatly and his(Saraaba's) couplet was often quoted by Bhagath Singh Sewa desh ki jaaneman hai badi mushkil baat karni to badi aasaan hoti hai. (Loosely meaning - It is extremely tough to work for your Motherland, though talk comes fairly cheap)

How can we forget school days, Jaishankar Prasad poetry -- Arun Yeh Madhumay Deah Hamara Jahaan pahunch Anjaan, Kshitij Ko Miltaa ek Saharaa. Arun Yeh Madhumay Desh hamaraa....... Jaishankar Prasad-- a true nature lover.

also "rang de bastanti chola" (not the relatively new cheery version but the original, last cry for rally by a man headed to the gallows). though i am not a big subscriber of the entire notion of a "country" and jingoistic ferver, but i cant help but admire individuals committed to ideals as fundamental and congruent to humanity as freedom and civil rights. i would appreciate if someone could find me this old version somewhere.

Lovely song Stryker. Thanks for posting.

Perhaps the best lyrics for a song, writer and/or singer must have felt the pain
A really dard wala number isn't it? The movie(Mere Apne) is also pretty good. See it if you haven't already. It's the 'Yuva' of the 70s.

Perhaps the best lyrics for a song' date=' writer and/or singer must have felt the pain[/quote'] Who else but b4e39068-38b4-49a4-96fb-0bd89674cec1HiRes.JPG I was planning to write an article dedicated to one of his songs but then didnt come around to it.

Guest Hiten.   
Guest Hiten.
Perhaps the best lyrics for a song' date=' writer and/or singer must have felt the pain[/quote'] Kishore da shed few tears while singing this song. Don't know how true it is, but i saw this interview of some singer (forgot his name) on Zee Music

No takers yet for the RDB-Gulzar-Sanjeev Kumar gem - Tere Bina Jindagi se koi shikwa to nahin? It is one of those songs that I think is absolutely complete. Most of us fell in love with its tune while we were teens, we loved the song though did not know why. Then when we saw the song we loved the sight of a middle aged Sanjeev Kumar saying "Waise to amawas 15 dinon ke hoti hai magar is baar bahut lambi thi..." and Suchitra Sen replies "Bees saal lambi thi na"... It is hard to hear that song and not be touched. Later on as one grew older they realize the depth of the song, the haunting lyrics - Raat ki baat hai, aur zindagi baaki to nahin..Wah! Another such brooding gem is Hazaar Raahein Mud Dekhi kahin se koi sada na aayi..

Btw talking about sad songs.. then how can we forget mera naam joker's classic song - Jeena Yaha Marna Yaha.. a great song froma a great movie
That whole song is tragedy right from its inception. It is of course a gem by Shailendra, the lyricist who wrote simplest lines in Hindi movies. Shailendra had put his heart and soul into producing Teesri Kasam, *ing Raj Kapur and Waheeda Rehman, you may have heard the songs "Chalat musafir moh liya re" and "Duniya banane waale" etc. The movie bombed and Shailendra went into poor health, mostly because of how he was cheated out of his money by so called Bollywood friends. At the time Raj Kapoor was making Mera Naam Joker and for a while Shailendra had been his man of choice to pen his songs(he also selected Hasrat Jaipuri from time to time). Shailendra had promised to write the lyrics of this song - Jeena yehan - and the startup lines were greatly liked by Raj Kapur. But before he could finish the song he died. The song was later completed by Shaili Shailendra. xxx

That whole song is tragedy right from its inception. It is of course a gem by Shailendra, the lyricist who wrote simplest lines in Hindi movies. Shailendra had put his heart and soul into producing Teesri Kasam, *ing Raj Kapur and Waheeda Rehman, you may have heard the songs "Chalat musafir moh liya re" and "Duniya banane waale" etc. The movie bombed and Shailendra went into poor health, mostly because of how he was cheated out of his money by so called Bollywood friends. At the time Raj Kapoor was making Mera Naam Joker and for a while Shailendra had been his man of choice to pen his songs(he also selected Hasrat Jaipuri from time to time). Shailendra had promised to write the lyrics of this song - Jeena yehan - and the startup lines were greatly liked by Raj Kapur. But before he could finish the song he died. The song was later completed by Shaili Shailendra. xxx
amazing story mate.. indeed.. i feel like watching M.N.J ONCE again.. Btw Mukesh sang Duniya banane waalein i guess.

A sad song with inherent lines, but sung with a very peppy music and smiling Reena Roy. sBfmLz1U7ng I remember this song so very vividly for two reasons: 1) This obviously is a great song, an all-time classic. 2) It gave me the first taste of politics in life. At the time the biggest show in TV/radio/media whatever was Binaca Geetmall compered by incomparable Ameen Sayani. It would give the top 16 songs and its Annual programme was a big big attraction. In the year I talk of the song that had blown away every single song and was on top spot for a dozen weeks plus was "Aap Jaisa koi meri jindagi mein aaye" by a 14 year old Najia Hasan. By every account Nazia should have walked away with the biggest hit of the year(and the Sartaj bigool that was sounded for the top spot). Instead it was pushed to 4 and Lata beat her with Dafli waale dafli baja at #1 and Sheesha ho ya dil ho at #3. Nazia was robbed...Plain and simple. xxx

Nice thread... Lurk.... yaar should definitely go ahead and write some article on Gulzaar sahab. :two_thumbs_up:.. Alll of these were my fav songs once. Now a days, I have given up on them. I dont play them, I change the dial if radio is playing 'em.

Nice thread... Lurk.... yaar should definitely go ahead and write some article on Gulzaar sahab. :two_thumbs_up:.. Alll of these were my fav songs once. Now a days' date= I have given up on them. I dont play them, I change the dial if radio is playing 'em.
That probably is because Gulzaar saab's songs often make more sense when you are fultoo ganja maar ke . Love the man but it took me forever to understand some of his songs, a la Pathar ki haveli se , sheeson ke gharondo mein, tinkon ke nasheman tak...is mod se jaate hain. Yep you need to be high on ganja to write those alright! :hatsoff:

Hindi Acoustic songs I'm sick of english songs, need some hindi songs that sound good acoustic. Any suggestions? I have some stuff from Atif Aslam and Indian Ocean, looking for more. I like lucky Ali's music, but they don't sound too good acoustic ... Any suggestions?

Music thread to herald the New Year 2008 I'll post a song that I've posted a while back. Excellent song sung by SPB, with Kamalhassan starring in the movie. Feel free to add music videos (any language) if you want to. Bw_GeFe_9MU

Guest Hiten.   
Guest Hiten.

Songs that give you goosebumps... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmw0ghOvLDc]YouTube - Pehla Nasha - Jo Jeeta Woh Sikandar[/ame] for me, this is the only song that give me goosebumps. Whenever I hear this song, I literally go back to my school days and start thinking of what I am missing from the good ol days :(( it captured the youth so very correctly and nicely...