Subramaniam Badrinath

thevortex

But can't someone go back and work on their flaws and come back a stronger player? From whatever I've seen of him in IPL, he looks a better batsman. He wasn't at sea against as he has been in the past.
I can bring out scorecards where Badri shined others failed. This is all silly going through team selection by a scorecard from few years back. http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/276/276165.html Going by this first innings score card Badrinath > Sachin
I'm just giving examples of players who have done as well or better than him domestic cricket. I don't think Rohit should be given a chance before Kohli or Rahane, as the Badrinath supporters are saying. And one needs to be at least consistent in arguments. If you are proposing Badrinath for a test spot, please also propose Gagandeep and Joginder as well - they are top domestic performers, which is the only thing Badrinath has. He is the modern Ajay Sharma - will keep churning them out in domestic cricket but is past the age where he can play quality fast bowling at the international level. It's just a huge fallacy that Badrinath has been discriminated against. Despite his limited ability he got two test matches and floundered. There are many other cricketers with as good or better domestic records who did not even get one shot.
Fair enough. I agree that it is time to move on from Badri; he has had his chances. I just wanted to insist that it is time to move on from Rohit Sharma, too. If Badri was doing in 1995 what he was doing in 2007, he would've gotten more chances to prove himself at the highest level. Our batting was going through a transition, and 1996 brought us Ganguly, Dravid and Laxman. While Ganguly and Dravid made an immediate impact, Laxman took his time to look the part (as I recall). Given today's depth, would Laxman have been given as many opportunities? One can only speculate. In this context, I am really glad the IPL is here - these fringe talents have an opportunity to make a good living outside of the realm of international cricket. Guys like Goel, Shivalkar and KP Bhaskar did not have that luxury.

If Badri luckily gets a chance to play again, he has only option. Grab them with both hands. If he can't he cannot blame anyone. Infact it applies to every batsman.But for others age is on their side. For Badri it is not. This is not Pakistan where you can start a batting career at the age of 35.

But can't someone go back and work on their flaws and come back a stronger player? From whatever I've seen of him in IPL, he looks a better batsman. He wasn't at sea against as he has been in the past.
Yes, admittedly this is in the IPL, but it proves he is a good strokeplayer and not necessarily Chopra-esque. It should at least mean a spot in the ODI side, I mean if Tiwary can make it on the back of an IPL as he did last season. The instances I wrote about in my last post and Chandan posted links to were a few years ago, so hopefully he is a better player I do think Gagandeep was unfairly discarded after making a few squads. (going by what I have read and his FC performances) Kohli is ahead of Badrinath insofar as a pecking order of things is concerned. Maybe Yuvraj. Rahane is (I hope) an opener now, or will be tried out as an opener or a no 3...
Yes, admittedly this is in the IPL, but it proves he is a good strokeplayer and not necessarily Chopra-esque. It should at least mean a spot in the ODI side, I mean if Tiwary can make it on the back of an IPL as he did last season. I do think Gagandeep was unfairly discarded after making a few squads. (going by what I have read and his FC performances) Kohli is ahead of Badrinath insofar as a pecking order of things is concerned. Maybe Yuvraj. Rahane is (I hope) an opener now, or will be tried out as an opener or a no 3...
Am not sure about Rahane. His performances seem hot and cold. Right now, it is Kohli, Pujara and Raina. Maybe Rahane and Rayudu will emerge soon.
Fair enough. I agree that it is time to move on from Badri; he has had his chances. I just wanted to insist that it is time to move on from Rohit Sharma, too.
Rohit is still
If Badri was doing in 1995 what he was doing in 2007, he would've gotten more chances to prove himself at the highest level. Our batting was going through a transition, and 1996 brought us Ganguly, Dravid and Laxman. While Ganguly and Dravid made an immediate impact, Laxman took his time to look the part (as I recall). Given today's depth, would Laxman have been given as many opportunities? One can only speculate.
Exactly my point. Wrong place, wrong time. If Joginder had been around the early 70s he would have played lots of tests for India. Nothing to do with discrimination.
In this context, I am really glad the IPL is here - these fringe talents have an opportunity to make a good living outside of the realm of international cricket. Guys like Goel, Shivalkar and KP Bhaskar did not have that luxury.
IPL is junk while accessing talent - sorry to be so blunt.
Rohit is still <25 with a lot of scope for improvement. What upside potential does Badrinath have? Exactly my point. Wrong place, wrong time. If Joginder had been around the early 70s he would have played lots of tests for India. Nothing to do with discrimination. IPL is junk while accessing talent - sorry to be so blunt.
I think you are reading too much into the intent of my post. I said nothing about discrimination. Or that Badri should be in. I am just saying Rohit (age notwithstanding) has had his chances, and to me, has shown he does not have it. I said that there used to be no place for fringe talents like him and Badri. Now there is (IPL), and I am glad there is. Never said it was a judge of test talent. :confused:
I think you are reading too much into the intent of my post. I said nothing about discrimination. Or that Badri should be in. I am just saying Rohit (age notwithstanding) has had his chances, and to me, has shown he does not have it. I said that there used to be no place for fringe talents like him and Badri. Now there is (IPL), and I am glad there is. Never said it was a judge of test talent. :confused:
No, I wasn't (reading too much into your post) - just used it as an excuse to peddle my broader point. I pretty much agree with what you have said above.
Fair enough. I agree that it is time to move on from Badri; he has had his chances. I just wanted to insist that it is time to move on from Rohit Sharma, too. If Badri was doing in 1995 what he was doing in 2007, he would've gotten more chances to prove himself at the highest level. Our batting was going through a transition, and 1996 brought us Ganguly, Dravid and Laxman. While Ganguly and Dravid made an immediate impact, Laxman took his time to look the part (as I recall). Given today's depth, would Laxman have been given as many opportunities? One can only speculate. In this context, I am really glad the IPL is here - these fringe talents have an opportunity to make a good living outside of the realm of international cricket. Guys like Goel, Shivalkar and KP Bhaskar did not have that luxury.
Yaar Shivalkar was one unlucky guy

Those who have the hunger and desire to do well in Tests will come through. I don't think these guys like Rayudu, Rohit, Uthappa will be keen on such things. Probably they will target T20, ODIs. Especially Rayudu. International experience for him would help him make more money.

If Badri luckily gets a chance to play again' date=' he has only option. Grab them with both hands. If he can't he cannot blame anyone. Infact it applies to every batsman.But for others age is on their side. For Badri it is not. This is not Pakistan where you can start a batting career at the age of 35.[/quote']http://www.indiancricketfans.com/images/smilies/laughing//omg.gif If you are refering to Misbah and his performances..........then I pray Badrinath never becomes like him .He is better off playing IPL in that case
Those who have the hunger and desire to do well in Tests will come through. I don't think these guys like Rayudu, Rohit, Uthappa will be keen on such things. Probably they will target T20, ODIs. Especially Rayudu. International experience for him would help him make more money.
Also, do they have the quality for tests? Uthappa certainly doesn't and I don't think that Rayudu does either. Rohit has the game but he has plenty of areas of work on. If he is happy with just T20 and ODIs, he won't improve. I think that he will play tests. Have to wait and see if he is a success.

Badrinath has got his chances. Now he can't complain! Few years ago, Badrinath justifiably must have felt that he deserved some chances at the highest level. I think, now, he has got sufficient chances to prove himself at the highest level and has squandered them. What has been most disappointing is not just the fact that he hasn't scored a lot of runs, but the fact that he has looked out of place. He has looked terrible facing short pitched bowling and he gives the impression of a domestic run scoring bully, who won't make it big internationally. Add to it - his struggles have come against a bowling attack that is fairly mediocre. Time to rope in younger players like Ajinkya Rahane.

Have to agree that he has been disappointing. You can't ask for a better opportunity than facing this WI team on pitches that haven't been that bowler friendly. I thought he along with Kohli would be our batting mainstays in the series but it's been Rohit Sharma who has been a revelation. On a side note even Tiwary looks out of sorts at intl level - saw that in Aus and again in today's match. Somehow he looks way too tens and fidgety in the intl arena.