Fav Indian cities

Mariyam

I have never been to Mumbai but there are constant reports about it not being friendly for non maraathi manoos. Not sure if its true or media exaggeration
Mumbai is actually a very friendly city because of the more cosmopolitan crowd here. The 'Marathi manoos' bullsh*t is only courtesy the Shiv Sena, who are hell bent on overturning our melting pot of communities here. It was the South Indians back in the 70s and 80s, and now they are targeting the Northies. But save to say that very basic knowledge of Marathi may perhaps help you get around in few pockets, just like knowing Kannada in B'lore and Bengali in Cal would help you. Even then, not knowing Marathi is not going to leave you helpless like in places like Chennai and such to some degree. That said though, there's not much regionalism in Mumbai.. I've been to Cal and it's got great food, everything's cheap :cantstop: but some locals really irk me... they have this annoying habit of speaking in Bengali when they get together with their ilk.. that doesn't happen on such a scale in Mumbai. If you can get used to the pace of life here, then you'd be strong enough to live anywhere on Earth :winky: Whenever I leave Mumbai for a while, everything comes to a grinding halt.. life in most other places is so leisurely paced that I just don't know what to do with so much time on my hands.
arguably the safest city for women & its alive 24 hrs . Even at 4am you can find a place to eat .
++ It also has the best public transport infrastructure (most notably, the bus service) of all other cities even though there are huge crowds, etc. I'd rather live in a can of sardines than shudder at the thought of rap*sts and shady folks roaming our streets.

Bombay is the only city in India which is truly cosmopolitan and has a culture and life of it's own. The rest of the cities just derive their culture from the region they happen to be in. Easily the best city in India. Chandigarh is probably the best city to live in for the amenities, location, and a chill out life. Bangalore is too crowded, impossible to commute, and polluted. Madras, for all the flak it gets, is not the worst, but the weather makes the place pretty close to a modern artist's rendition of hell. Pune is not bad. Decent crowd, decent traffic, decent overall. Lucknow is great for those from Lucknow but if you are not into the Lucknow culture then I can't see why outsiders would want to flock to the place. Delhi is good or bad depending on where you are and who you move around with. Shimla, Nainital, Mussoorie and most other hill cities have been polluted and destroyed. To enjoy the Himalayas one really needs to go into the lesser know towns like Kausaani, Rampur etc. Food is the only redeeming feature of Calcutta. Vishakhapatnam is nice.

Chennai auto wala charged me 70 bucks from central to EA chennai = :fail:
You shouldn't have said EA to him :/ Should have said the area name instead. They try to ask you higher prices according to the location you ask.

Bombay is the only city in India which is truly cosmopolitan and has a culture and life of it's own. The rest of the cities just derive their culture from the region they happen to be in. Easily the best city in India. Chandigarh is probably the best city to live in for the amenities, location, and a chill out life. Bangalore is too crowded, impossible to commute, and polluted. Madras, for all the flak it gets, is not the worst, but the weather makes the place pretty close to a modern artist's rendition of hell. Pune is not bad. Decent crowd, decent traffic, decent overall. Lucknow is great for those from Lucknow but if you are not into the Lucknow culture then I can't see why outsiders would want to flock to the place. Delhi is good or bad depending on where you are and who you move around with. Shimla, Nainital, Mussoorie and most other hill cities have been polluted and destroyed. To enjoy the Himalayas one really needs to go into the lesser know towns like Kausaani, Rampur etc. Food is the only redeeming feature of Calcutta. Vishakhapatnam is nice.
good choice.:nice:

Bombay is the only city in India which is truly cosmopolitan and has a culture and life of it's own. The rest of the cities just derive their culture from the region they happen to be in. Easily the best city in India.
I haven't been there that much, but doesn't Bangalore also have a cosmopolitan culture of its own? Surely Bangalore's culture is not the same as that of the surrounding region.
Lucknow is great for those from Lucknow but if you are not into the Lucknow culture then I can't see why outsiders would want to flock to the place.
In know you are a Lucknowiite, err Lucknowia so don't get me wrong, but I think Lucknow's only saving grace is the Awadhi cuisine and chikan. I've had the (mis) fortune of staying for nearly a week in Lucknow , pretty recently (2009). Attended 2 weddings there. I didn't find many remnants of the old Lucknow, that the Lakhnavis keep harping about. And that even that old Lucknow culture is pretty restricted to the nobility and their immediate coterie. Its not a 'culture' of the masses so to speak. When you say Lucknow culture, what exactly do you mean?

Completely agree with that. I hate this habit they have. In my college days, if in a group of friends there are four Bengalies, they would start talking to each other in Bengali pissing off everyone else. Then they would complain that others are not friendly with them. :WTF: Once a group of Beglies who lived together in a flat invited four of us non-Bengalis to celebrate a birthday. And they then kept talking in Benglali. We objected a few times, but it was no use. It ended up in two groups in two corners of a room talking in different languages.
Was this in Mumbai? I haven't had the opportunity to interact that much with Bengali people. My interaction is limited to dining occasionally at Oh Calcutta restaurant. I find it easier to understand Bengalis speaking Bengali, even though I don't know the language than when they try to speak Hindi.

Bombay is the only city in India which is truly cosmopolitan and has a culture and life of it's own. The rest of the cities just derive their culture from the region they happen to be in. Easily the best city in India. Chandigarh is probably the best city to live in for the amenities, location, and a chill out life. Bangalore is too crowded, impossible to commute, and polluted. Madras, for all the flak it gets, is not the worst, but the weather makes the place pretty close to a modern artist's rendition of hell.
Did you mix the two :hmmmm: Although Mumbai is definitely most cosmopolitan but when talking of commute etc its outright dangerous in terms of its trains. The roads are dead slow. I cannot afford a helicopter.