'England are just going to do enough and win 1-0'

How do you think the England v India Test series will go? Here's what former players have to say The 2000th Test, the 100th England-India Test, a possible 100th century for Sachin Tendulkar and the No. 1 spot on the Test table up for grabs. Yes, it's safe to say the England-India Test series that begins tomorrow is in the spotlight. So what do former players - Indian, English and neutral - expect to happen in the much-anticipated clash? Here's a selection of all the punditry. "England will start as favourites since they will be playing at home. Also, they have a better seam attack that will be able to exploit the conditions better. Having said that, India have a better side on paper, definitely a longer batting line-up. It could come down to a contest between quality batting sides. At the moment, England's top six are as good as any in world cricket, India's strength has always been its batting." Allan Lamb, the former England captain, puts the focus on the batsmen "England have some of the best seamers in their armoury. Handling Chris Tremlett will be a tough task for the Indians. Then, there is James Anderson, who can swing the ball beautifully. Swann won't be as threatening as others because Indians are good players of spin. They are a very good fielding side. India have also improved, but we have been dropping catches in the slip cordon and that is the area we need to improve upon." Farokh Engineer, the former India wicket-keeper, is wary of the England bowling and the Indian catching "England are a good side. They have variety in their attack. They have great top order batting, for them to make next step and stay there it will be about how they play the game. If they just stick to process and wear oppositions down they will not win series by whitewashes. They are just going to do enough and win 1-0. Strauss needs to put them in a situation where it is win at all costs. Then it is fun, it is energising and makes it entertaining for everyone." Shane Warne, Australia's spin king, says England will win, but not by much "We are not playing in an era when we have a great team like Australia who have dominated for so long. They were so much better than the rest of the world. India are a good team, but you can certainly see England within a year or so getting there." Michael Vaughan, who was England captain when, in 2007, India won their first Test series in England for the first time in 21 years, doesn't think there is much between the teams "India won the recently concluded West Indies tour and there seems to be no reason for not continuing with the feat in England. The Indian team will surely come back victorious." Kapil Dev, India's original World-Cup-winning captain, oozes confidence "We used to quake in our boots when the West Indies batting order was read out. Greenidge, Haynes, Gomes, Richards, Richardson, Lloyd, Dujon, and then the nuclear warhead [the bowling line-up] after that. Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Kohli, Dhoni has a similar ring to it. But I think England have a better bowling attack. Bounce and swing will unsettle the Indian batsmen because they're not used to that at home." Bob Willis, the former England fast bowler, turns the focus back on the host's bowling "To me, on paper, it's a very even contest. I think the pitches could define which way the series goes. I wouldn't suggest we play it on green seamers, because I don't think their attack is bad. Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma and Munaf Patel - they'll be decent on seaming tracks, which is why it's quite even. In terms of turning wickets as well, you've got Harbhajan Singh, you've got Graeme Swann." Graham Thorpe, the former England batsman says the pitches will play a part, though he's not entirely sure which way they'll swing the balance "I can see draws at both Lord's and Trent Bridge, and if that is the case then the third Test at Edgbaston might well be the time for England to go all-out for the 20 Indian wickets they need to win a match. If you want to get to No. 1 in the world then you have to be prepared at times to all-out attack." John Emburey, the former England offspinner, says the third Test could be the key "It will be a contest of their bowlers versus our batsmen. Sehwag on top would always relieve pressure on the rest of the side, but in his absence, India will be found wanting. We will be experimenting at the top in Sehwag's absence, so that makes us vulnerable and if two of these three legends [sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman] don't stand up, like they have done for so long, India are in trouble." Nari Contractor, who played for India in the late '50s, factors in the absence of Virender Sehwag "India have a real chance. Clearly, the way Ishant Sharma bowled in the West Indies is a plus for India. He and Zaheer Khan have a big role to play. The Zaheer-Andrew Strauss battle is the one to look out for. Then, we all know about India's batting. Look at Harbhajan Singh, he has two Test hundreds." Steve Waugh, who captained the Australia at their peak, thinks India are in with a chance "If England win the toss, bat first and play 5 bowlers, they will win the Lord's Test, weather permitting." Tony Greig, the former England captain, knows what the hosts need to do to win the series opener © ESPN EMEA Ltd.
India werent favourites to win in 2007 but we did so lets wait for the real deal .I dont really agree with these predictions because even during wc most eng commentaters favoured srilanka (dont know why?).
Stop bringing ODIs into every discussion when we're talking tests. This is TEST CRICKET and a completely different format. The WC is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
Stop bringing ODIs into every discussion when we're talking tests. This is TEST CRICKET and a completely different format. The WC is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
No just wanted to say predictions are just peoples opinions and mentioned the world cup to say that they predicted a Srilankan Win despite india being favourites .Anyway lets leave the world cup aside amd lets see what really happens.

"We used to quake in our boots when the West Indies batting order was read out. Greenidge, Haynes, Gomes, Richards, Richardson, Lloyd, Dujon, and then the nuclear warhead [the bowling line-up] after that. Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Kohli, Dhoni has a similar ring to it. But I think England have a better bowling attack. Bounce and swing will unsettle the Indian batsmen because they're not used to that at home." Bob Willis, the former England fast bowler, turns the focus back on the host's bowling Kohli? seriously? Does this idiot know that Kohli is not even in the squad?

Interesting to note how every English expert is pinning his hope on seaming swinging picthes, Turn the tables around, imagine England to be number 1 and India following them in a simiarl position, a 4 test series in India and Indian players and experts talking about spinning tracks. There would already be cries and moans about unprepared tracks and how that is not in the spirit of the game.

Interesting to note how every English expert is pinning his hope on seaming swinging picthes, Turn the tables around, imagine England to be number 1 and India following them in a simiarl position, a 4 test series in India and Indian players and experts talking about spinning tracks. There would already be cries and moans about unprepared tracks and how that is not in the spirit of the game.
I hope we get seaming and swinging conditions throughout as it's our best bet. Our bowlers will enjoy the conitions and our batsmen are experienced enough to adjust. All our recent away wins came in helpful conditions in Eng, SA and Aus.
I hope we get seaming and swinging conditions throughout as it's our best bet. Our bowlers will enjoy the conitions and our batsmen are experienced enough to adjust. All our recent away wins came in helpful conditions in Eng' date=' SA and Aus.[/quote'] Correct, bowling friendly tracks will make us even more dangerous. In fact I would stick my neck out and say that our team will beat this English side in all conditions.