I'm a more complete batsman now

King

They call him "The Wall" but given his stoic approach to life, he could well be a modern day philosopher. Besides being India's cricket captain and also its best batsman, Rahul Dravid is all that, and much more. More... Interviews ‘I’m a more complete batsman now’ TIMES NEWS NETWORK / Sumit Mukherjee They call him ‘The Wall’ but given his stoic approach to life, he could well be a modern day philosopher. Besides being India’s cricket captain and also its best batsman, Rahul Dravid is all that, and much more. Shortly before embarking on an 82-day tour of Ireland and England with his ‘band of warriors’, Dravid, took time off to speak to Sumit Mukherjee about all that goes into the making of one of India’s finest cricketers. Excerpts: What has the journey been like as the leader of the Indian cricket team? It’s been a very eventful 18 months during which the team has tasted unprecedented success as well as suffered major disappointments. Good moments have been followed by low, tough periods. As a captain I have experienced both sides of the coin. There have been some trying times, but overall, it has been quite an enjoyable experience. Has captaincy changed you as a person? That’s a tough one for me to answer. People around me should be able to tell you better, but I don’t think captaincy has changed me much as a person. Of course, captaincy has brought added responsibility. Now, I have many more things to worry about than when I was only a player. Consequently, I have less time for myself — part of the game, I guess. How difficult is it to be the captain as well as the side’s best batsman? Right through my career I have played alongside quite a few very good batsmen, so it’s for others to judge me, really. Like everyone in the team, I have a role to play. I do believe is that I have to pull my weight in the team as a batsman. When I am at the crease, I try to shut out everything else and focus on the job of scoring runs. With experience, I have learnt not to let the cares of captaincy affect my batting. As a captain do you believe in giving back to the opposition what you get? As a player, I have never gone down that road. It does not work for me. If I get into a confrontational mode, it affects my concentration and takes the focus away from scoring runs. In the final analysis, a player is judged by what he does, not by what he says. Frankly speaking, as a captain I would not be overtly bothered about an opposition player who talks a lot. I would rather worry about the ones who are more likely to score against us. Would you rather call all the shots as captain or do you believe in captaining by consensus? Look, in a game like cricket, a captain has to be hands on. The coach and players have a big role to play in the preparatory phase — organising training sessions, nets etc. It’s the captain who has to make all the decisions on the field. Suggestions are welcome, but it’s important that the captain is comfortable with the XI, for he has to set the field, making bowling changes, strategies etc. That is the way it is and that’s how it should be. What has 10 years of international cricket taught you? To be humble and positive. Right from the day when I first picked up a cricket bat it was my dream to play for India. I am now in my 11th year. It has been a wonderful journey that has taken me all over the cricketing world. I have had the opportunity to compete with some of the best players of our generation and learn from them. With experience, I have learnt to put things in perspective. How much have you evolved as a batsman? It’s always a challenge to keep improving. You have to do plenty of introspection. You have to keep raising the bar. The further you travel down the road, you learn a little more about yourself and may be dare to do things slightly differently. I am mentally much stronger now and also a more complete batsman. The learning, however, never stops. The on-drive remains your favourite shot? To succeed at this level you have to develop a wide range of shots. Opposition bowlers are quick to assess your strengths and weaknesses and bowl to you accordingly. You may have to go through an entire session or a day’s play without getting a chance to play your shot or in your preferred area. What is the real Rahul Dravid like? A very ordinary person, who is not given to expressing his emotions in public. It’s not that I don’t get excited or emotional at times. I do, but I have learnt to control it better. No mood swings for me. I like to maintain a balance. How different is the Indian dressing room today compared to the time when you first came into the team? It’s the players who make the dressing room. It changes from time to time as players come in and go out. The mood in the dressing room changes depending on how the team is faring. I have seen the mood in the dressing room change during the course of a day as well as during the course of a series. Do you find it difficult to relate to extroverts or people who are more boisterous? Not at all because each individual is different. Everyone has his own defence mechanism, own way to cope with stress and pressure. They need their space, as do I. What are your expectations from the youngsters who are hoping to make it big? I not only expect, but demand the best from them. Obviously, they are talented. That is not enough. We have to help them to realise their true potential. They must look to make most of the opportunities that come their way. Isn’t it more difficult for them now? I completely agree that our newer generation of cricketers is under a lot more pressure than what we experienced when we were juniors. Those days there wasn’t so much scrutiny. I am, of course, referring to external pressures. They have much more to deal with. In a way, I somewhat feel sorry for them. However, it also makes them a lot tougher. Finally, how do you see Indian cricket shaping up over the next few years? We have had a reasonable amount of success in the last couple of years, especially in the longer version of the game. We have been winning Tests abroad, which is surely a big positive. We must now look to build on that. We need to be more consistent and start winning series overseas.

As a player, I have never gone down that road. It does not work for me. If I get into a confrontational mode, it affects my concentration and takes the focus away from scoring runs. In the final analysis, a player is judged by what he does, not by what he says. Look, in a game like cricket, a captain has to be hands on. The coach and players have a big role to play in the preparatory phase — organising training sessions, nets etc. It’s the captain who has to make all the decisions on the field. Suggestions are welcome, but it’s important that the captain is comfortable with the XI, for he has to set the field, making bowling changes, strategies etc. That is the way it is and that’s how it should be. I completely agree that our newer generation of cricketers is under a lot more pressure than what we experienced when we were juniors. Those days there wasn’t so much scrutiny. I am, of course, referring to external pressures. They have much more to deal with. In a way, I somewhat feel sorry for them. However, it also makes them a lot tougher.
Few very honest and good observations particularly the quoted ones above.

What has the journey been like as the leader of the Indian cricket team? -- Cliche Has captaincy changed you as a person? -- Cliche As a captain do you believe in giving back to the opposition what you get? -- Cliche Would you rather call all the shots as captain or do you believe in captaining by consensus?-- Cliche What has 10 years of international cricket taught you? -- Cliche How much have you evolved as a batsman? -- Cliche The on-drive remains your favourite shot? -- Cliche What is the real Rahul Dravid like? -- ok, something different How different is the Indian dressing room today compared to the time when you first came into the team? -- Cliche Do you find it difficult to relate to extroverts or people who are more boisterous? -- k , admittedly different What are your expectations from the youngsters who are hoping to make it big? -- Cliche Isn’t it more difficult for them now? -- Cliche Finally, how do you see Indian cricket shaping up over the next few years? -- Cliche If i were given a chance to interview Dravid , i would have asked him a million questions for which we all are dying to know the answers for, not run-of-mill polite queries like this. Who wants to know how he busts stress or shows emotions ? With Rahul , you can almost predict what his answers are going to be anyway !

Agree with Gator, Sriram and Predz. Dravid seems to be one of those men that look inherently better when they do not say anything. Must say every new interview of him seems to make me even more boring person in real life! Had he been a girl I would probably not be averse to marrying him but for heaven sake I would never date a female Dravid. :sad_smile:

how the hell does anyone answer the questions asked to dravid What has the journey been like as the leader of the Indian cricket team? Dravid: i waited 5 yrs to kick ganguly out and that was the first thing i did after becoming captain. Has captaincy changed you as a person? Dravid : yes the circumference of by left b@ll shrunk by 1cm.

What has the journey been like is the leader of the Indian cricket team?
Okay here is an attempt. Well firstly you must realize that leading a country is a player's greatest ambition. Every Indian child dreams of this. And so when I got a chance to lead India it was a dream come true. I was particularly lucky to have a mixture of seniors like Sachin and Ganguly, Kumble and VVS and then new and aggressive lot like Dhoni and Yuvraj. Looking back I have had seen both ups and down in a matter of less than 2 years. We made a world record in chasing in LOI and then went off in the first round of WC, that was devastating. I would like to see us become more consistent and start winning more, specially away from the sub-continent. One sideproduct is that I was able to converse and analyze with International skippers like Fleming and Ponting and develop a new respect for art of skippership. xxxx
lets hear a few
Well.. here are few. ** Dont you think Sehwad doesnt even deserve a place in the test 15 ? ** Both Saurav and Sachin didnt play the ODI's in Bangladesh. It was obvious they were dropped and not "rested" . Why are they in the team now even though we won the series against BD ? ** As widely speculated in the media , Did you recommend Graham Ford to BCCI ?If yes , do you know why he refused the job once he was selected ? ** What is the role of Sachin in the team ? especially in the ODI's ? Is he going to just graft for his runs from now on , allowing the others to attack around him ? ** Why has Yuvraj fallen off a bit off late ? He had a tremendous previous season. ** How are you going to manage the conflict of playing two wicketkeepers in the test eleven ? is there a possibility that , if karthik place is cemented , dhoni's spot in the team could be under threat ? ** After all the controversy over the coach selection issue , do now personally prefer an Indian Coach ?
Okay here is an attempt. Well firstly you must realize that leading a country is a player's greatest ambition. Every Indian child dreams of this. And so when I got a chance to lead India it was a dream come true. I was particularly lucky to have a mixture of seniors like Sachin and Ganguly, Kumble and VVS and then new and aggressive lot like Dhoni and Yuvraj. Looking back I have had seen both ups and down in a matter of less than 2 years. We made a world record in chasing in LOI and then went off in the first round of WC, that was devastating. I would like to see us become more consistent and start winning more, specially away from the sub-continent. One sideproduct is that I was able to converse and analyze with International skippers like Fleming and Ponting and develop a new respect for art of skippership. xxxx
That was a standard answer infact negative since you (dravid and not lurker) dont think you are as good a captain as ponting/flemming, if you have to take tips from rival captains then your captaincy style has major flaws please step down and let someone else lead. What you wrote is pretty close to what dravid said except that he was not negative.
That's quite good. May be you should coach Dravid on oration.
Guest dada_rocks

What is more complete anyway, u are either complete or not. Since when gradation creeped into the qualification of word complete.:giggle:

Well.. here are few. ** Dont you think Sehwad doesnt even deserve a place in the test 15 ? ** Both Saurav and Sachin didnt play the ODI's in Bangladesh. It was obvious they were dropped and not "rested" . Why are they in the team now even though we won the series against BD ? ** As widely speculated in the media , Did you recommend Graham Ford to BCCI ?If yes , do you know why he refused the job once he was selected ? ** What is the role of Sachin in the team ? especially in the ODI's ? Is he going to just graft for his runs from now on , allowing the others to attack around him ? ** Why has Yuvraj fallen off a bit off late ? He had a tremendous previous season. ** How are you going to manage the conflict of playing two wicketkeepers in the test eleven ? is there a possibility that , if karthik place is cemented , dhoni's spot in the team could be under threat ? ** After all the controversy over the coach selection issue , do now personally prefer an Indian Coach ?
No matter who the Indian captain was all the above questions have straight forward answers. You think if Ganguly or Sachin or even Ponting or fleming were leading Indian team they would have said yes sehwag doesnt deserve place in team ??? Whole of India reads/listens to what Indian captain has to say, no matter who the captain is he will be diplomatic. Tell me when was the last time an Indian captain blasted a player in media. Lets not go 30yrs back talk about last 15yrs when media pressure started building on players.
No matter who the Indian captain was all the above questions have straight forward answers. You think if Ganguly or Sachin or even Ponting or fleming were leading Indian team they would have said yes sehwag doesnt deserve place in team ??? Whole of India reads/listens to what Indian captain has to say, no matter who the captain is he will be diplomatic. Tell me when was the last time an Indian captain blasted a player in media. Lets not go 30yrs back talk about last 15yrs when media pressure started building on players.
My point is not what were the kind of answrs that Rahul would have given , but what questions should have been asked in the first place, actually. Those questions that were asked in that interview have absolutely no relevance to Indian cricket of today...

i was watching a show of cyrus broacha...with Rahul Dravid... when Dravid got MTv Youth Icon award.. Cyrys asked him to narrate some naughty..stories of his childhood... and dravid replied that he wa a very decent chap..and was always into studies and cricket..and had no time for other mischiefs.. still cyrus insisted to get some interesting stuffs..dravid just laughed...and said that he should try make up some stories to tell media people..as everytime some one ask me to narrate some naughty stories form my childhood...and i always disappoint them.. Dravid ..it is always better to disappoint others than get disappointed...