In quest of India's national dish.... what is it?

Nova

Aloo can be declared as the national vegetable of India. Almost every corner of India makes dishes with Aloos in it :eating:
I was just thinking of eating Aloo paratha. A couple people in this thread mentioned about rounding off the Dal Chawal with Aloo Gobi and pickle. Perfect. Now that sound's like the national dish of the masses. Aloo goes in Pani Puri.. Aloo goes in Pav Bhaji Aloo goes in Samosa Aloo goes in masala dosa Aloo goes in Calcutta Biryani I also look like a Aloo :woot:

I was just thinking of eating Aloo paratha. A couple people in this thread mentioned about rounding off the Dal Chawal with Aloo Gobi and pickle. Perfect. Now that sound's like the national dish of the masses. Aloo goes in Pani Puri.. Aloo goes in Pav Bhaji Aloo goes in Samosa Aloo goes in masala dosa Aloo goes in Calcutta Biryani I also look like a Aloo :woot:
:agree:

Which is why its so incredible that few people in India had seen a potato, let alone taste one till 250 or so years ago. Similar story with tomato. Yet today its unfathomable to think of an Indian kitchen without these two staples.

Photos of each one of those or I don't believe you :hitler:

Outlook keeps coming out with gimmicks such as these. If we can have a national dish then perhaps we can have a national language as well? We all know how that will go.
Its nothing official as such buddy. We are just discussing foods that are acceptable and consumed throughout the country, same as Cricket :dance: Though there are some who haven't had very common dishes of India like Biryani (Sabby :giggle:). What about Pakodas and chai on a rainy day

Nobody said it's official. But would this magazine run a feature to find out the unofficial national language? The entire exercise is bogus because of its assumption that there's some cultural entity that's described by the term Indian. It'll be perfectly legitimate to run a feature on the signature Bengali cuisine because now we have a tangible cultural being. India or Indian is strictly political and it's a mistake to view it as anything else.
You mean if it is not tangible, it cannot be accounted for or in simple words debated upon? The whole fabric of the nation is "unity in diversity". When you have cities like Delhi, Mumbai etc. where every bit of Indian culture is assimilated and perhaps, over the years resulted into some unique intangible culture (Delhi style hindi/ Bambaiya cusine, etc.), why not treat the whole country as a single unit with multiple "charateristics"! I agree with your statement of a single cultural aspect among many, but there are certain things that transcends regionalism, aka music, sports, nationalism, religion, food (you can go from kanniyakumari to Srinagar and find Indian Chai at each and ever station)!

Let me rephrase. I enjoy a sambhar but I'll be very upset if I were called a sambhar sniffer. When you write about Indian cuisine it assumes there's something culturally Indian. Except that there's nothing culturally Indian.
You get upset very easily then. :cantstop: