Tata unveils Rs. 1 Lakh Car - Nano

sandtest

Beauty Specs (TOI) * 624 cc engine * Mileage of 20 kilometers per liter * Passed full frontal crash test,:two_thumbs_up: the offset and side-crash test * Legroom is expected to be 21 pc more than Maruti 800. * The car meets the Bharat 3 (Euro 4) emission standards. * The car that will come in two variants - AC and non-AC * Will comes a dealer price of Rs one lakh plus VAT and transport charges. * Commercial launch in mid 2008-09 http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/? 8bppea1.jpg8aoj2nc.jpg6o3q72s.jpghttp://www.ibnlive.com/photogallery/627.html

On a serious note -- This is the most cost effective technology at its best and every single motor industry bimbo across the world is worried. So I warn all my fellow countrymen to expect some media-psy-ops covertly financed by foreign companies to write negative reviews. For example in India, if the car becomes popular, as I'm sure it will, that will signal the death knell of the Maruti 800 the cash cow of Suzuki, which sells more cars in India than in Japan. The Maruti 800 was a great idea when it first came out but it’s now an insult to the Indian consumer. Also let me tell you Ratan Tata has set his sights much higher than many people have realized. He wants to go into markets in Africa, South America and Indonesia where a car in this price range would be a great hit. South Africa could possible see the Nano’s first overseas plant sooner than many people would imagine. So the old guard is going to fight a dirty battle and off course there will be dumb journalist in their typical p-sec mode around who are looking to write something different who will jump on the bandwagon. And the less said of the Medha Patkar’s of this world the better. However, you can’t keep a good product down and you can be sure that nobody will give a damn what crap people right in papers or what sh!t people say in talk shows. At the moment, Nano looks so cute...:icflove: -- plus it is hunderd percent "Bharatiya"....We middle class Indians can proudly identify ourselves with this car, if it becomes a success on road.

The car looks cheap to go with it's cheap price tag.
I feel it's "Richer" compared to the cheap price tag.:D
Looks more like Microsoft Zune than Nano.
Many Indians like their locally assembled cheap MP3 players sold at Andheri railway platform, that also includes FM radio...:finger:
Great day for India
Eggxactly... Look at some of the headlines -- Lahore bomber kills 25 US warns of battle with Iran China bans free plastic India launches world's cheapest car :shades_smile:

This Car has the potential to bring about the second revolution in the Indian Car Industry. With its current price tag of around 1,20,000 for the non-AC version, its positions EXACTLY between the Bike segment ( 40,000) and the entry level car segment ( 2,20,000). Many people i spoke to about this car come up with comments like " Oh, the car may not handle that well, it wont look that prestigious etc".. What they assume is that Tata is trying to attract existing car owners into buying the Tata Nano. I dont think thats the case, Tata is actually trying to create an entirely new customer base of first time car-owners. The primary target for the Nano is not current car owners who want to change their vehicle, but its non-car owners. I foresee a HUGE market for the Nano amongst the typical middle-class Indian household, with both the Husband and the Wife put together earning around 25,000-35,000 rs per month, along with two kids. For households such as these, investing 2.5 lakhs in a car, apart from spending a few thousand rupess on petrol would be quite a tough thing to do, but the Nano priced at a miserly 1.2 lakhs and given the fact that it gives around 20 kmpl, I will definitely call it a good buy. Even if the family isnt willing to make a one time investment, the EMI for that car is quite low at 2500 Rs/month. Another potential customer base for this car is either rich/upper middle class households that have only one car. With that being the case, its quite difficult to "share" the car as such, between the different members of the family. Now, the Dad or the Mom can get this car for this 20-21 year old sons and daughters. A lot will ride on the brand positioning of this car though. If Tata positions it as ultra-cheap inexpensive mode of transport, it will adversely affect its prospects. On the other hand, if they position is a cool, sleek compact car that is also cheap, it will find more takers. And going by the looks and design of the car, it is quite evident they are taking the second option. Expect a massive marketing campaign trying to portray this car a fashionable, cool and cheap, as we get closer to the launch date. I was mildly shocked to see its styling the first time. For such an in-expensive car, its lines were quite smooth, and finish didnt seem that bad. What Tata must be weary of though, is some bad publicity in the immediate aftermath of the launch. Because the car is SO cheap, the scrutiny of it will be higher. If things dont go well, we will have media reports of how " This didnt function , the engine just stalled, the seat is loose" and all that. Problems, which are quite common to any car will be blown out of proportions for the Nano because of its price. I can wait for its launch in October. I think this will be a milestone in the Ind Auto industry and who knows, maybe in the world too.

Cute car!..will be easy to park....and even I can buy it on my own with the peanutsI earn....:D.
Beets, one question. How do you like the styling of the car ? Do you think its cool ? or does it seem like some cheap gimmick ?

Slightly OT' date=' but did you know that RT swings the other way? Came across this recently.[/quote'] huh ?? source plz ? @topic: its not that attractive nor ugly. Its a car with affordable price, so why bother about the looks when it takes to 5 people from Place A to Place B, whereas motorbike takes only 2 :haha:

Beets, one question. How do you like the styling of the car ? Do you think its cool ? or does it seem like some cheap gimmick ?
I like round curvy cars...hate long ones... I like the shape... And it is a Tata product. They don't sell anything that is not quality.I would love to see some more colours. red is good...would love to see purple,violet :D ....... This car will be very popular with the first timers....,college going people and in our MCP world ,this will end up being the wife's car. Husbands will end up buying bigger and uglier cars safe in the knowledge that it is safe frrom the wife?:angry_smile:

I like round curvy cars...hate long ones... I like the shape... And it is a Tata product. They don't sell anything that is not quality.I would love to see some more colours. red is good...would love to see purple,violet :D ....... This car will be very popular with the first timers....,college going people and in our MCP world ,this will end up being the wife's car. Husbands will end up buying bigger and uglier cars safe in the knowledge that it is safe frrom the wife?:angry_smile:
Hmm.. So now, i suppose, your husband and you share the same car ? And when its launched, you wouldnt be too averse to buying this to have one for your own ? One things for sure though, Tata will definitely not position it as a car for the ladies alone ( even though the styling does look a bit feminine). However, a sizeable part of the potential customer base for this car will be young, upwardly mobile housewives/ workers like Beets I am sure, apart from 20-21 year college going kids of rich parents, nuclear families with a moderate income and last but not least, the new generation of software professionals, aged betwen 25-30.

Where will India go when the energy consumption high rockets with all these cars replacing 80 miles per gallon two wheelers? By the by innovative idea. Most of the guys in this forum dont understand common man's dream of owning a car. They are worried about the looks since they own more than one car already!