How was life in Bombay in the 80s and 90s?

Gollum

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

You always get that a lot from all the non-bombay aquaintances - you must see a lot of "movie stars", or some such line.   Most in Bombay wouldnt' care as much.  

mostly when the actor is not white..:phehe:

remember Tom Cruise being mobbed, then Vin Diesel and Deepika for that crappy xander movie.

Or may be not see this guy Ranveer having crowd going nuts.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/bollywood-actor-ranveer-singh-being-mobbed-by-fans-at-a-promotional-picture-id135253039

Mumbai has 26 million people rite ? lots of them are movie buffs who seem to love their stars and starlets. That is something i have noticed, lots of extreme interest in Movies in mumbai and movie stars.

5 minutes ago, Vilander said:

mostly when the actor is not white..:phehe:

remember Tom Cruise being mobbed, then Vin Diesel and Deepika for that crappy xander movie.

Or may be not see this guy Ranveer having crowd going nuts.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/bollywood-actor-ranveer-singh-being-mobbed-by-fans-at-a-promotional-picture-id135253039

Mumbai has 26 million people rite ? lots of them are movie buffs who seem to love their stars and starlets. That is something i have noticed, lots of extreme interest in Movies in mumbai and movie stars.

Bombay has a huge influx of immigrants.  Just because there's a crowd mobbing a movie star, doesn't make them all true Bombayites.  :aetsch:

15 minutes ago, Vilander said:

i must say you have pretty good girl living next to your door.

Aditi-Rao-Hydari-photo.jpg

c35d0cf98d205fbc90641878eca8acf1.jpg

I saw her from 4 feet distance - she is not  head turning glamorous - is  what I am trying to say. Looks like normal avg good looking girl in the same neighborhood. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you have seen the crowd quality at  Mithibai College /National College or JaiHind college,  you would know what I am talking about in terms of relative looks.

Interestingly, I feel many living in Bombay don't even wanna get into movies. I mean it's almost considered like a teaser if you wanna become an actor - thus you will notice, lot of talent shows up from other parts mainly Delhi - where I have noticed they are kinda filmi in dressing, dance style coz they follow the movies as is whereas Bombay are not like that. The mainstream actors are pretty hypocritical as well, they work in Hindi movies but prefer to speak in English with an accent, it's hard to explain but it's almost like they feed of the movies yet don't like to behave they are part of it coz it's in Hindi, or show as if they like to listen to western music and western movies only

1 hour ago, narenpande1 said:

I saw her from 4 feet distance - she is not  head turning glamorous - is  what I am trying to say. Looks like normal avg good looking girl in the same neighborhood. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you have seen the crowd quality at  Mithibai College /National College or JaiHind college,  you would know what I am talking about in terms of relative looks.

BTW, do they still have socials? ( afternoon clubbing ), it was so popular in the 90s. I recall seeing Mithibhai Gen Sec voting day, it was some event - the guy came on an Elephant. I don't think they do that anymore

Rotary phones, friendship bands, blank phone calls, "I want to propose you" days hahahaha

7 hours ago, Rajiv said:

BTW, do they still have socials? ( afternoon clubbing ), it was so popular in the 90s. I recall seeing Mithibhai Gen Sec voting day, it was some event - the guy came on an Elephant. I don't think they do that anymore

Rotary phones, friendship bands, blank phone calls, "I want to propose you" days hahahaha

I passed HSC/12th in 2003. You are taking about culture in a totally different era. I have had cousins who had gone through that 90s Mumbai college culture that you are taking above.

Regarding Mithibai, not sure about the socials. I did my 11th12th from Bhavans College. Mithibai was the place to hang out when bunking classes though. Awesome Vada pav and Grilled Sandwich opposite the main Commerce and Arts building. 

I do know and the sad part is that the innocence of the 90s was totally lost then. Afternoon Clubbing in those colleges was perhaps replaced by rich spoilt brats taking out prized girls in Opel Astras and Honda Accord  ( which was a big deal in early 2000s) and finding a " Sunsaan " galli in quite afternoons to sin inside the car. 

This was 10 times worse in pious Navaratri weeks in the evening. 

The 90s era was something I only experienced in high school and cherish the most. Post that Mumbai society has largely become a morally corrupted and perverted cesspool. 

Edited by narenpande1