Is Adam Gilchrist the most overrated Test cricketer right now?

bunny

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/5390.html?class=1;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=140;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=default;spanmax1=19+Jan+2008;spanmin1=19+Jan+2003;spanval1=span;template=results;type=allround He averages 39 against the other top 7 teams (i.e., excl Bang and Zim) over the last 5 years. Obviously that's very good for a WK but it doesn't justify the amount of credit that's still given to him. He can still play the match winning innings but he is nowhere near as consistent. IMHO, he has become more of a Gayle than a Richards.

With his high risk game he can't shift gears and it is quite expected he wasn't going to be buffing runs every time he plays. He had his golden run and is still a very dangerous test batsman coming at no.7. Comparing him to "The King" is a sacrilege. Still he's the best Wicket keeper batsman the world has seen. Just like all good things have to come to an end his career will have to end in about a year but I reckon he's still capable of producing few good knocks.

Guest dada_rocks
With his high risk game he can't shift gears and it is quite expected he wasn't going to be buffing runs every time he plays. He had his golden run and is still a very dangerous test batsman coming at no.7. Comparing him to "The King" is a sacrilege. Still he's the best Wicket keeper batsman the world has seen. Just like all good things have to come to an end his career will have to end in about a year but I reckon he's still capable of producing few good knocks.
Ever heard of certain sangkara
Guest dada_rocks

When Sangkara calls it a day he will be talked as one of the greatest batsman and even his wicket-keeping is miles ahead of gilly.. Any kind of wicket this guy always scores .. particualrlry in test cricket my vote goes to Sangakara

When Sangkara calls it a day he will be talked as one of the greatest batsman and even his wicket-keeping is miles ahead of gilly.. Any kind of wicket this guy always scores .. particualrlry in test cricket my vote goes to Sangakara
Sangakarra doesn't keep on a regular basis anymore and some of his best innings have come when he was not playing as a keeper. Gilchrist is undoubtedly better.
That's not relevant whenver he picks gloves he does better job than gilly.... walks into my all time test eleven as keeper batsman
How is it not relevant? Giving up on keeping allows him the luxury to concentrate solely as a batsman and the numbers bear out the difference. As a keeper he averages 41.2 and playing purely as a batsman he averages 91.8.
Sangakarra doesn't keep on a regular basis anymore and some of his best innings have come when he was not playing as a keeper. Gilchrist is undoubtedly better.
How is it not relevant? Giving up on keeping allows him the luxury to concentrate solely as a batsman and the numbers bear out the difference. As a keeper he averages 41.2 and playing purely as a batsman he averages 91.8.
You made a very valid point there. Sangakara gave up gloves to be able to concentrate on batting. The reason why a wicket-keeper batsman is special is that he has to deliver with the bat and keep well throughout an innings.
Sure, Federer is overrated too. Seriously though, when Sachin struggles, he is "out of form". When Gillly fails, it's because he is overrated, yeah?
Dhondy: I didn't quote his average for the last 1 year or so. Those are his averages since 2003 which accounts for roughly 60% of the matches he has played in his career. Moreover, in the last 5 years he averages 28 against Ind, SL, SA, Eng (which are the other 4 teams with consistently good bowling lineups). (Ponting averages 58 and Hayden 48 against the same opposition in the last 5 years).