Paki Vs Pakistani

Desi Cartman

so its not ok ......... or is it ok ? The abbreviation Paki acquired offensive connotations in the 1960s when used by British tabloids to refer to subjects of former colony states in a derogatory and racist manner. In modern British usage "Paki" is typically used in a derogatory way as a label for all South Asians, including Indians, Afghans and Bangladeshis. To a lesser extent, the term has been applied as a racial slur towards Arabs and other Middle Eastern-looking groups who may resemble South Asians. During the 60's many emigrants were also dubbed as "black" to further segregrate them from the white community. Some would say such a division still exists in parts of England In recent times there has been a trend by second and third-generation British Pakistanis to reclaim the word. The word has been turned into a keepsake for the young British Pakistani community that is not acceptable for someone outside the community to say it, including Indians and Bangladeshis.

Its a quasi-racist term IMO, best avoided. It has racist connotations in UK-Europe-USA-Canada but most Pakistanis i knew in mid-east used the word 'paki' for themselves as well as accepted their usage from their friends/acquaintances/in social situations.

Its a quasi-racist term IMO' date=' best avoided. It has racist connotations in UK-Europe-USA-Canada but most Pakistanis i knew in mid-east used the word 'paki' for themselves as well as accepted their usage from their friends/acquaintances/in social situations.[/quote'] Certainly not in the US. I am yet to meet a Pakistani here who considers it offensive, in fact most use it themselves.

Guest dada_rocks

I have been asking this question since time immeorial never got any satisfactory answer.. Call me indic indian bharti I would love it.. One pakistani answered what woudl u feel if I call u bhindian.. I asked politely bhindia is not a country so obviously u are attempting to distort itsl name and hence offensive wheras pakistan is a country and paki seems to be legitimate short form for its inhabitants called pakistani.. Unless u are ashamed of being asscoaietd with pakistan you should not take offence with the word paki.. anyway

I have been asking this question since time immeorial never got any satisfactory answer.. Call me indic indian bharti I would love it.. One pakistani answered what woudl u feel if I call u bhindian.. I asked politely bhindia is not a country so obviously u are attempting to distort itsl name and hence offensive wheras pakistan is a country and paki seems to be legitimate short form for its inhabitants called pakistani.. Unless u are ashamed of being asscoaietd with pakistan you should not take offence with the word paki.. anyway
This shows your limited world experience, nothing more. In most western nations, for most of the last 100+ years, the word 'P@ki' was used as a racially derogatory slang, identical to 'n1gger' used for black folks. Therefore, not just pakistanis, but most desis who've been in the west for a long time will get very pissed off when a white guy calls them 'p@ki' due to the racial abuse history of that term.