Pandya & Pathan: The Tale of Two All-rounders

putrevus

7 minutes ago, Sooda said:

Poor skill levels? He was an extremely skilful swing bowler and batsman

Pathan didnt flop- he was a key part of the T20 world cup winning side, motm in one of Indias best ever away test wins...and for a while a world class ODI new ball bowler. Of course he didnt fulfill his potential but Unlike the contemporaries like Sree santh, RPS and Munaf who faded because they were nuts and lazy respectively Irfan never lacked heart or commitment

Soodz,

I agree with you on Irfan Pathan.

But don't be hating on Munaf Patel. He's always performed when it mattered. Very economical bowler in the world cup. Integral part of the winning team. And he's had two great IPL seasons for Mumbai Indians.

Definitely not in the same league as Sreesanth who was borderline crazy. Don't know who RPS is.

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

Soodz,

I agree with you on Irfan Pathan.

But don't be hating on Munaf Patel. He's always performed when it mattered. Very economical bowler in the world cup. Integral part of the winning team. And he's had two great IPL seasons for Mumbai Indians.

Definitely not in the same league as Sreesanth who was borderline crazy. Don't know who RPS is.

:)

RPS= Rudra Pratap Singh

Both him and Munaf could have been so much better if they had the kind of attitude that say Umesh does. But yeah youre right about Munaf, he was a key WC bowler

50 minutes ago, Sooda said:

:)

RPS= Rudra Pratap Singh

Both him and Munaf could have been so much better if they had the kind of attitude that say Umesh does. But yeah youre right about Munaf, he was a key WC bowler

RP Singh faded away due to chronic knee issues.   He was skillful enough to contribute to Gujarat's Ranji trophy win a year or so ago - he played as a hired pro for them, and they managed his workload while using him with the new ball.   

Umesh is a rare Indian pacer, after Kapil, who is able to keep bowling a ton of overs, at or near his top pace, for so many games, without running into injury issues.   

If I had to put it in a simplistic manner, I'd say Pathan had the greater ability and Pandya the better temperament. Having said that, both had the other trait too. Pathan was more of an orthodox bowler/batsman and I think he could have done better if managed more suitably. Didn't play much in Eng/NZ from what I recall (in Tests) where he would have been more effective. A horses for courses selection would have extracted more from him. Reminds me more of early-career Bhuvi in terms of bowling, and was a somewhat better batsman. Pandya on the other hand I cannot see succeeding as a test bowler - he has pace, hits the deck well, etc. but I don't think he can be anything more than a back-up bowler. His batting on the other hand has potential to evolve quite a bit.