Virat Kohli v AB de Villiers - who is better ODI batsman?

Who is better ODI batsman?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better ODI batsman?

• Virat Kohli
    • AB de Villiers

He still has that problem. Look at how allover his foot work was in Aus test series before that big inning.
I think he has fixed it with his back list which is more straight than coming from 3rd man. That said, he is still susceptible outside off.
AB and Dhoni usually plays the same role of finishing the game and setting a target which is more crucial than some 100s on patha.
Kohli has 100's everywhere including England, Aus, couple of 90's in WI and SA on his first tours there. Don't compare ABD to Dhoni, yes ABD may be a finisher but only in some Pepsi cup or other irrelevant tournament. SA will never win big tournament and Kohli's under pressure 35 to rebuild with Gauti in WC final was good.
Kohli has 100's everywhere including England' date=' Aus, couple of 90's in WI and SA on his first tours there. Don't compare ABD to Dhoni, yes ABD may be a finisher but only in some Pepsi cup or other irrelevant tournament. SA will never win big tournament and Kohli's under pressure 35 to rebuild with Gauti in WC final was good.[/quote'] Couple of 90s? Just a single 90. When did he score a 90 in SA? :hmmm:
ABDV normally But in ICC tourneys, Kohli any day of the week dont ask me why :D
BS check stats of both of them kohli after scoring 100 against bang bros which does not counts for much did nothing abdv was on fire in last world cup and won match even against india no ? would have won them semi final too just got run out (faf :mad:)
BS check stats of both of them kohli after scoring 100 against bang bros which does not counts for much did nothing abdv was on fire in last world cup and won match even against india no ? would have won them semi final too just got run out (faf :mad:)
they lost in the quarters to Kiwis
De Villiers is no victim of South African choking, he is a cause like Kallis. Batted like a clown in the 2007 semi as well and even in 2011 responded immediately to Du Plessis' call thinking he would make it. Not like Du Plessis sold him a dummy. Ran himself out in the 2006 Champions Trophy as well, so certainly not a one off incident. Also the clownish shot played against England in 2009 off a long hop.
De Villiers is no victim of South African choking' date=' he is a cause like Kallis. Batted like a clown in the 2007 semi as well and even in 2011 responded immediately to Du Plessis' call thinking he would make it. Not like Du Plessis sold him a dummy. Ran himself out in the 2006 Champions Trophy as well, so certainly not a one off incident. Also the clownish shot played against England in 2009 off a long hop.[/quote'] what has kohli done in world cups ? even with choke factor abdv has played much more valuable innings in world cups maybe not in biggest matches but he has done more then kohli imo
what has kohli done in world cups ? even with choke factor abdv has played much more valuable innings in world cups maybe not in biggest matches but he has done more then kohli imo
Kohli has very recently (past 1 year or so) entered the phase of his career where he is expected to play a critical part in the team's success. In the 2011 World Cup, he was never expected to play more than a supporting role which he did well. On the other hand De Villiers was one of the team's leading batsmen in 2011. Till now it's been too early in Kohli's career for a comparison with De Villiers who has close to 10 years of international experience by now. Perhaps going forward such a comparison would start to make more sense.
Kohli has very recently (past 1 year or so) entered the phase of his career where he is expected to play a critical part in the team's success. In the 2011 World Cup, he was never expected to play more than a supporting role which he did well. On the other hand De Villiers was one of the team's leading batsmen in 2011. Till now it's been too early in Kohli's career for a comparison with De Villiers who has close to 10 years of international experience by now. Perhaps going forward such a comparison would start to make more sense.
yeah but then saying i will pick kohli ahead of de villiers in world cup is not fair imo that statement has no backing and is just based on assumption that he should do better as he wil not choke lol until he proves himself better then abdv he is not better its simple enough for me:--D
yeah but then saying i will pick kohli ahead of de villiers in world cup is not fair imo that statement has no backing and is just based on assumption that he should do better as he wil not choke lol until he proves himself better then abdv he is not better its simple enough for me:--D
That's fine, but the standards of choking have been set so low by the likes of Smith, Kallis, de Villiers that it's not a completely wrong assumption that they can be bettered with relative ease.
That's fine' date=' but the standards of choking have been set so low by the likes of Smith, Kallis, de Villiers that it's not a completely wrong assumption that they can be bettered with relative ease.[/quote'] still just an assumption.. ab can still correct himself and kohli can always choke no point going in to these hypothetical scenarios .. i think more then anything with south africa they need 1-2 good lower order batsmen miller seems to be a calm one they are always top heavy in tournaments (i know in 1999 that was not the case but im not sure ) after 2000 they have always been bit top heavy and thats why they choked they include some one like faf without experience this time if they are smart they should give decent exposure to lower order players..anyway i think im going off topic better stop ;P
De Villiers is no victim of South African choking' date=' he is a cause like Kallis. Batted like a clown in the 2007 semi as well and even in 2011 responded immediately to Du Plessis' call thinking he would make it. Not like Du Plessis sold him a dummy. Ran himself out in the 2006 Champions Trophy as well, so certainly not a one off incident. Also the clownish shot played against England in 2009 off a long hop.[/quote'] Ponting really got into Kallis' head in the 2007 WC. The shot that he played in the semis against McGrath was one of the worst ones you will ever see. Ponting gets some credit for that imo.
Ponting really got into Kallis' head in the 2007 WC. The shot that he played in the semis against McGrath was one of the worst ones you will ever see. Ponting gets some credit for that imo.
was kallis ever good against mcgrath :hmmm:
Ponting really got into Kallis' head in the 2007 WC. The shot that he played in the semis against McGrath was one of the worst ones you will ever see. Ponting gets some credit for that imo.
I think it was also the pre match bluster about being aggressive. McGrath and Tait finished the aggression in 10 overs. The ball before he go out, Kallis had done the same thing and I remember thinking what the feck has gotten into him to be making room and stepping out against McGrath - 90% of the time McGrath is going to win against such misplaced adventure. :giggle: