Thread for collating umpiring goof-ups in Adelaide

fineleg

actually, if you saw the hawk eye replay, the ball was hitting the top of the bail, so it was that marginal, and that close. hawk eye said that the ball was higher that the stump, by a fraction of an inch, and thus was hitting the bail. Since he was playing a shot, the benefit of doubt should have gone to the batsman, and i am certain that there was doubt in that... so he should have been given not out...

actually' date=' if you saw the hawk eye replay, the ball was hitting the top of the bail, so it was that marginal, and that close. hawk eye said that the ball was higher that the stump, by a fraction of an inch, and thus was hitting the bail. Since he was playing a shot, the benefit of doubt should have gone to the batsman, and i am certain that there was doubt in that... so he should have been given not out...[/quote'] we can't keep making up rules as we go along. bails are part of the stumps package. if you believe in hawk-eye, go by it. if you don't believe it, don't use it to point at umpiring goof-ups.

What is CI on about here: "Soon after, he survived a half-shout when he tried to run a Hogg delivery down to fine leg and the ball might have gone off the face of the bat into Gilchrist's gloves. But so mild was the appeal from behind the stumps that Billy Bowden wasn't convinced. " Was that out? Is SRT lucky to be playing still like Symonds in the 164 match?

What is CI on about here: "Soon after, he survived a half-shout when he tried to run a Hogg delivery down to fine leg and the ball might have gone off the face of the bat into Gilchrist's gloves. But so mild was the appeal from behind the stumps that Billy Bowden wasn't convinced. " Was that out? Is SRT lucky to be playing still like Symonds in the 164 match?
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: There was a week's worth of daylight between the ball and bat. Gilly didn't appeal, but joined the cheater Ponting who was shouting from far away in the appeal, Hayden was still as a statue in the first slip, SRT was disappointed for not being able to put it away and CI writer was hallucinating about getting rid of the boss.
Was that out? Is SRT lucky to be playing still like Symonds in the 164 match?
The replays didn't confirm anything and Gilly's appeal wasn't all too confident either. I wish they'd used snicko there. Anyway, I'd also add the Sehwag lbw not given when he was in his mid 50's. That was out. Cricinfo mentioned it in their reports today as well.
The field drops back for Tendulkar. 72.2 Hogg to Tendulkar, no run, Hogg bowled a very slow ball outside leg stump that bounced more sharply than Tendulkar expected, he tried to play a paddle sweep but missed, Hogg appealed confidently but no one else joined him
Actually Ricky joined him from mid off or similar position, Gilly was quiet till he saw Ricky appealing, and as I said, Hayden was mum and still like a statue. BTW, the replay was quite conclusive, his bat was nowhere near the ball when it passed SRT.