The ATP Tour 2018

Cricketics

On 3/23/2018 at 6:56 PM, Dil Dil India said:

Extremely happy to see how badly Djokovic is playing. He's very lucky he's not the same age as Federer. In 2012 when Federer was as old as Djokovic now, he was booting peak Djokovic from slams and giving him bagels on HC....imagine what he would do to the current version.

I am not extremely happy. Of course I want Federer to be abead in the race but I do want the competitive Murray and Djoker hunting for titles too so that it pushes other young players arpund also.

Though I am surely enjoying Del Potro and many others like Querrey, Anderson doing well.

We need different top finishers surely as thats great for the game.

I want to see now David Goffin do well. Poor guy whenever he looks good, he gets involved in some freak injuries.

Saw the match live from very close. Kokkinakis upped his level after he settled down his initial nerves. He started playing fearless tennis. The stadium was rooting for Fed, but started appreciating the Aussie as the match progressed. Good to see new players coming up. 

Two other matches we saw also ended in tie-breaks, Zverev and Tiafoe scraped thru.

Bhambri's match was a disappointment, he made too many errors. His serve was very poor, 107mph was his highest speed with most of them sub 100. Sock played equally bad, but the firepower took him thru.

On 3/26/2018 at 9:46 AM, eternalhope said:

Saw the match live from very close. Kokkinakis upped his level after he settled down his initial nerves. He started playing fearless tennis. The stadium was rooting for Fed, but started appreciating the Aussie as the match progressed. Good to see new players coming up. 

Two other matches we saw also ended in tie-breaks, Zverev and Tiafoe scraped thru.

Bhambri's match was a disappointment, he made too many errors. His serve was very poor, 107mph was his highest speed with most of them sub 100. Sock played equally bad, but the firepower took him thru.

WTF that is WTA level or even worse. A few years back I saw the legends event and old man JMac was serving 110mph+  consistently. 

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

WTF that is WTA level or even worse. A few years back I saw the legends event and old man JMac was serving 110mph+  consistently. 

He has a very good game - groundies, volleys and movement are pretty good. He is also very brainy and knows how to move the ball to keep his opponent guessing, but it is a pity with all these pluses, he is always playing catch-up because of his serve.

Brilliant finish to last ever Miami tournament at Key Biscayne, the tournament moves to new venue next year in Miami.

I am happy for John Isner. He has been the best server in the game for a while. I dare say that had it been a five setter, Zverev would have won, due to more complete game, but Isner covered the court well and he served excellent this tournament. Wasn’t broken through out the tournament or something. Truly the best server in the game.

His first ATP 1000 title at the age of 32 after toiling hard on the ATP tour for so many years.

Well done

42 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Brilliant finish to last ever Miami tournament at Key Biscayne, the tournament moves to new venue next year in Miami.

I am happy for John Isner. He has been the best server in the game for a while. I dare say that had it been a five setter, Zverev would have won, due to more complete game, but Isner covered the court well and he served excellent this tournament. Wasn’t broken through out the tournament or something. Truly the best server in the game.

His first ATP 1000 title at the age of 32 after toiling hard on the ATP tour for so many years.

Well done

Though the new stadium is much more closer to us, nothing can beat key biscane. It’s so scenic with water all round.

8 minutes ago, eternalhope said:

Though the new stadium is much more closer to us, nothing can beat key biscane. It’s so scenic with water all round.

I agree, however there had been plenty of complaints about the traffic and stuff. I liked this venue and it saw some great games. I remember Roddick winning here. One of my best memories from this tournament.

2 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Well done

I saw isners match against vesely late in the evening in the grandstand. He was struggling, had to go out in between to be seen by the Physio and somehow scraped thru. After that match he started playing better but the day matches helped him quite a bit with the sun beating down which makes his serve even more potent. To his credit he also started playing fearless tennis taking more chances from his forehand side and pulling them off. Zverev should have pulled him wide more on the forehand corner and then make Isner hit his backhand on the run where he is vulnerable. I thought he missed a trick there and his FH meltdown started which is the wing which breaks down first when he feels the pressure.

Last 46 sets of Rafa on clay:

6-1 6-4 6-1 6-1 6-4 6-3 6-0 6-1 6-0 6-1 6-2 6-2 6-2 2-0 6-3 6-4 6-0 6-2 6-3 6-1 6-2 6-2 6-3 6-1 6-4 6-4 6-1 6-3 6-3 6-2 6-0 6-2 6-4 6-1 6-3 6-2 6-4 6-4 6-1 6-3 6-0 7-5 6-4 6-0 6-2 6-1 :adore:

On 4/29/2018 at 12:26 AM, Gollum said:

Nadal on clay is God, without prime Nole no interest the coming 2 months, Clay God will sweep MC-Barca-Madrid-Rome-RG for the 1st time in his career.

Nole with his current form can't challenge Nadal on clay.

Only the so called GOAT who skips clay regularly to avoid getting beatdown can:phehe: 

11 minutes ago, kumar713 said:

Nole with his current form can't challenge Nadal on clay.

Only the so called GOAT who skips clay regularly to avoid getting beatdown can:phehe: 

Fed is 37 years old and doesn't owe anybody anything, I am glad he is making smart scheduling decisions to prolong his career and maximize his chances in SW19-US HC swing. But even peak Fed would have been beaten by this Nadal (but won a set here and there unlike current era mugs) who btw is playing his best clay court tennis since 2012. Only peak Nole had a prayer against Clay GOAT but he is more into vegan crap, love and peace these days.

On 5/7/2018 at 12:43 PM, kumar713 said:

Nole vs Nishikori in Madrid 1st round :popcorn: 

Kei will be high on confidence after reaching final in MC. Tough match awaits for Nole.

Nole won :dance:, hopefully he peaks by RG, someone needs to stop that Spanish Bull. 

Finally! Thiem you beauty. Clay season has become interesting now. Though Rafa's level has dropped due to fatigue but Thiem has played well in the last two matches. Easily the 2nd best Clay courter. On his way to a maiden masters title. Deserves one on Clay. He's the only player after djokovic and Gaudio to win more than 2 matches against nadal on clay

Guys this year’s ATP Washington has been one of the best tournaments with comebacks from WAwrinka and Murray(who eventually retired just for precautionary reasons).

Two next gen players have reached the finals - De Minaur and Zverev. The aussie DeMinaur beat another next gen in Rublev to reach the finals.  It should be a brilliant finals today between Zverev and De Minaur. Try to watch this one.