Relevance of what I learnt in school

Ram

Thought this deserved a separate thread,

Didnt really mean to hijack this thread, but taking from what Tics said about Geography and history of India, it really makes me wonder the relevance of the geography and history lessons I learnt in my middle school. I mean WTF, I spent hours and hours on end, memorizing about all the Harappan and Mohenjo Daro civilizationas, the different kingdom dynasties in India, the Russian Revolution, WW 1 and 2 and stuff. The less said about Geography, the better. Who in this world, needs to know which Indian state grows what cash crop ? Or What river runs through which state ? It all seems so so irrelevant to me now. Imagine, as a 14-15 year old, they gave me classes on Basic electrical wiring in the house, or carpentry, or plumbing, or taught me about Time and money management, or say the basic aspects of a balanced diet and a healthy life-style, It would have been so so nice. In short, I am just pissed that I spent years and years of my life learning and memorizing things that have very LITTLE relevance to my daily life, now.

he Russian Revolution' date= WW 1 and 2 and stuff. ..nothing abt that during my time, mine was lot do with Shivaji and Sambaji
The more I think, the Useless the list becomes. This is a sample of things that i remember spending sleepless nights, trying to memorize, before my Social Studies exam.
  • The different cash crops in India, which grew in what state
  • All the animal Sanctuaries, their locations and which Sanctuary was famous for what animal
  • Which rivers originated in what state and what was its path as it mixed with the Sea
History was even worse. Why the fook should I have learned all this ?
  • The origin, growth and the death of all the ancient civilizations
  • The different Kingdom Dynasties, their geographical extent, what war was fought when, who won the war etc..

I mean, does it make me any less of an Indian if I didnt know any of these ? Most of what I know/remember of India is what i read and saw in the Papers, TV and the media and general. I can safely say I know enough of Indian culture and its history to be able to carry my Indian roots proudly and none of it was what i learned from the textbooks in school. I say we need a massive reform in our school curriculum.

..I got interested in all that as a kid when my father taught me everything as a story book, with humor and facial expressions..it was like reading a comic book I think kids learn better if they visualize things, infact I am all for video learning, show it like a movie..point is to teach P.S Never a fan of books anyways..just don't have the patience

MM, To be fair, when ur in school, u dont specialize in Math or Chem or Language...school is general education, so they have to cover all topics from Math to Civics to Biology to Geography to Sports... But, the way they cover it, and how much importance given to remembering facts vs analytical skills etc - surely needs reform.

MM, To be fair, when ur in school, u dont specialize in Math or Chem or Language...school is general education, so they have to cover all topics from Math to Civics to Biology to Geography to Sports... But, the way they cover it, and how much importance given to remembering facts vs analytical skills etc - surely needs reform.
Fair enough, I say give me all the Science, math, you could give me. but what am i going to do, memorizing things like what were the dressing habits of some old, remote tribe in Assam was ?