Ravi Shastri using 1985 World Championship tactics: L Sivaramakrishnan

Shastri is epitome of person who made most of his chances, he started as a bowler but ended up as an opener and scored a double hundred in Australia and 190 odd @ Lords. People calling him worthless hack have no idea how hard it is do what he has done. Was he the most talented player no but he was one of the most hard working players.

I still don't get why there is so much hate for him.

13 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Shastri is epitome of person who made most of his chances, he started as a bowler but ended up as an opener and scored a double hundred in Australia and 190 odd @ Lords. People calling him worthless hack have no idea how hard it is do what he has done. Was he the most talented player no but he was one of the most hard working players.

I still don't get why there is so much hate for him.

Completely agree with this.  And let's not forget the 6 sixes.  Yes, the bowler was Tilak Raj, but if it was that easy, more people would have done it.  The guy had nerves of steel, and yes, a strong work ethic.  He may have partied like hell, but when it came to on-field dedication, he gave it his all.  If Rohit Sharma had 10% of Shastri's application, patience and khunnas, he'd be scoring triple hundreds in every other innings.

I have a hypothesis for why people hate him so much.  He comes across as a don't-give-a-$ h eet-what-you-think, arrogant, jock.  Even in his playing days, people were resentful of his arrogant persona, and let's be honest, jealous of his confident good looks.  People loved to play up his limitations, while underselling his determination and grit.  

Viswanath and Siva , I am 100% sure would have never become great players.They just were not that great to begin with,Siva took many wickets in that tournament with full tosses and he never was a big turner of the ball nor he had ability to bowl up and down like Kumble.He was a very small man too.

Siva for your kind information, spinners have been bowling middle overs in Odis ever since odis began and every captain want their spinners to take wickets.Jadeja and Ashwin also bowled in middle overs too but they failed to take wickets so they are out so there is no magic formula which Shastri has rediscovered.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Viswanath and Siva , I am 100% sure would have never become great players.They just were not that great to begin with,Siva took many wickets in that tournament with full tosses and he never was a big turner of the ball nor he had ability to bowl up and down like Kumble.He was a very small man too.

Siva for your kind information, spinners have been bowling middle overs in Odis ever since odis began and every captain want their spinners to take wickets.Jadeja and Ashwin also bowled in middle overs too but they failed to take wickets so they are out so there is no magic formula which Shastri has rediscovered.

Siva, I agree.  Vishwanath, OTOH, was for real.