Fleming tips Ishant to be No.1

sreej

Fleming tips Ishant to be No.1 By Dave Donaghy February 11, 2008 ISHANT Sharma will become the world's premier bowler, former Australia quick Damien Fleming predicted after India's spearhead ripped through Australia's top order in the tri-series international at the MCG. Sharma took 4-38, with Shanthakumaran Sreesanth claiming 3-31, as new-age India humbled the world champions' all-star batting line-up before holding on for a tense five-wicket win. The tourists chased down Australia's total of 159 with just over four overs to spare. Australia captain Ricky Ponting dismissed suggestion his team was being distracted by the ongoing Indian Premier League saga - despite crashing to their worst loss of the summer. Despite Andrew Symonds's claims that "players" were frustrated with Cricket Australia's stance on the contentious sponsorship issue, Ponting said: "We haven't spoken about it. There's only one bloke that's concerned about it and that's (retiring wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist). "The rest of us are not talking about it. "As it stands now we can't play in it. We've got a tour of Pakistan. "The other guys are not talking about it whatsoever." The win breathed new life into the series with India, who had their opening two games washed out, moving past Australia into first place on the tournament ladder. Yet despite that, India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni failed to attend the post-match media conference, a direct result of a falling-out with travelling journalists from the subcontinent. Dhoni sent Sharma in his place rather than talk about his first win as captain on tour. Dhoni and Rohit Sharma guided India home after the tourists appeared shaky following a mid-order batting collapse. The pair, after coming together when Yuvraj Singh followed Sachin Tendulkar back to the pavilion at 5-102, put on 58 runs for the sixth wicket to get India the four points. It was a much-needed partnership after India suffered a severe case of the batting yips when they lost three key wickets for 13 runs in the space of seven overs. Tendulkar appeared set for a match-winning knock, as he looked completely in control until he was caught by a diving Brett Lee at mid-off from the bowling of left armer Mitchell Johnson. Sharma was the headline act as Australia posted their lowest limited-overs total in almost 12 months, with the bowler enhancing his growing reputation by removing Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting and Andrew Symonds in a fierce show of fast bowling. Fleming, who boasts a Test hat-trick, was glowing in his appraisal of the 19- year-old beanpole. He said Sharma had the potential to overtake the likes of Lee and South Africa star Dale Steyn as the world's No.1 speedster. "He's going to be a big factor for India's bowling stocks for years to come," Fleming saif of Sharma. Perhaps even more impressive than Sharma's wickets was the way in which he recovered from an early Hayden onslaught. Hayden smashed Sharma for 18 in his second over, that included two no-balls, before he was caught behind by Dhoni in his next over for a quickfire 25. A lesser player may have looked for a large hole to crawl into. Not Sharma. The lanky teenager added the wickets of Ponting and Symonds to leave Australia reeling at 5-75 on the juiciest MCG pitch of the summer in the 18th over. Source : http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23190949-23212,00.html Does anyone know what the fallout was about?

Yet despite that' date= India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni failed to attend the post-match media conference, a direct result of a falling-out with travelling journalists from the subcontinent. Excuse me who was the MOM?
Do you have any doubt that it'd have been Ishant? BTW, Ishant was the man of the match and I heard him speak for the first time.
yea poor kid looked overawed at the ceremony. but he is not at all overawed on the field. did anyone catch his "send-off" to hayden :)
http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showpost.php?p=330928&postcount=22
Indians I talk to use a lot of '...and all" in a sentence. For instance, "he told something and all to me". Also, "like anything". "He scolded me like anything!". Is that a south Indian thingy?
>>.Also, "like anything". "He scolded me like anything!". Is that a south Indian thingy? nah ...that is quite common everywhere...
I.S spoke exactly like coffee_rules posted here...."and all" was liberally sprinkled...as beets says, used everywhere and all.
ISHANT Sharma will become the world's premier bowler, former Australia quick Damien Fleming predicted after India's spearhead ripped through Australia's top order in the tri-series international at the MCG.
I have heard predictions for the future of Indian fast bowlers, but never have I heard someone saying that one will become the world premier bowler!

Honestly, a bit too much is being made out Ishant Sharma here. Yes,he has done exceedingly well in the last few games, but the way people are hyping him up, we will soon start expecting to deliver a MoM performance every time he bowls, which obviously wont happen. He will have his bad days. Hopefully, after all the dust has settled, a sense of perspective returns.

Honestly' date=' a bit too much is being made out Ishant Sharma here. Yes,he has done exceedingly well in the last few games, but the way people are hyping him up, we will soon start expecting to deliver a MoM performance every time he bowls, which obviously wont happen. He will have his bad days. Hopefully, after all the dust has settled, a sense of perspective returns.[/quote'] Definately. Some may have read my article (since taken down) on Ishant Sharma in my blog which states not to get into the fever and that he needs more domestic overs to hone his game. However, I have been blown away by his bowling in the Australia tour. He has shown infinate potential. I think we all know that he won't be as good in India, but there is no reason why he still cannot do well.

No.1 bowler in the world may be not. Even if he just plays a decent enough role as a fast bowler it's good enough for India for the next few years. In Sreesanth, RP, Zaheer, Irfan and Munaf the fast bowling is in able hands. Alas Balaji and Nehra were fit enough too. Unfortunately once these guys are back in India they will soon realize fast bowling is a hard task back home. Irfan looked great in Australia during the 03 series but struggled to pick wickets in Indian pitches. If India cannot produce decent enough tracks for fast bowlers even now then it's a huge disservice for Indian cricket.

No.1 bowler in the world may be not. Even if he just plays a decent enough role as a fast bowler it's good enough for India for the next few years. In Sreesanth, RP, Zaheer, Irfan and Munaf the fast bowling is in able hands. Alas Balaji and Nehra were fit enough too. Unfortunately once these guys are back in India they will soon realize fast bowling is a hard task back home. Irfan looked great in Australia during the 03 series but struggled to pick wickets in Indian pitches. If India cannot produce decent enough tracks for fast bowlers even now then it's a huge disservice for Indian cricket.
And that of course is the million dollar question, Ravi. BTW, I don't think Munaf belongs in the company, mainly because of his mental frailties. You can polish your skills, as Ishant has shown, but if you are work-shy and scared of putting in the hard yards, you are all but done for.
And that of course is the million dollar question, Ravi. BTW, I don't think Munaf belongs in the company, mainly because of his mental frailties. You can polish your skills, as Ishant has shown, but if you are work-shy and scared of putting in the hard yards, you are all but done for.
I agree. Munaf just doesn't look interested after the selection. He comes across as a kid that's just made it to U15 and reckons that's pretty much it. Alas he doesn't know it's only a start. Attitude can be improved upon though Dhondy. All it takes is a bit of perspective and knowing well being selected is an opportunity to show case your skill.
I agree. Munaf just doesn't look interested after the selection. He comes across as a kid that's just made it to U15 and reckons that's pretty much it. Alas he doesn't know it's only a start. Attitude can be improved upon though Dhondy. All it takes is a bit of perspective and knowing well being selected is an opportunity to show case your skill.
I heard he is a bit hot headed and doesn't want to listen to anyone.
Guest HariSampath

We cant yet say number 1 in the world as the real test for Ishant would come when he goes for game after game without a wkt on lifeless subcontinent tracks, bowling session after session in hot Indian conditions. It takes lots of heart to be a fast bowler from the subcontinent, and not all tests/ODIs are played in Aus, SAf and Eng. Also, we are yet to see how he would be over 2-3 seasons. We need to see how he would come back if dropped for not performing, how he would come back after injury etc. All these things are necessary to become great. I hope he does.

We cant yet say number 1 in the world as the real test for Ishant would come when he goes for game after game without a wkt on lifeless subcontinent tracks, bowling session after session in hot Indian conditions. It takes lots of heart to be a fast bowler from the subcontinent, and not all tests/ODIs are played in Aus, SAf and Eng. Also, we are yet to see how he would be over 2-3 seasons. We need to see how he would come back if dropped for not performing, how he would come back after injury etc. All these things are necessary to become great. I hope he does.
What about his five-for against Pakistan at the back end of last year?